Help with editing layout

bocaj

Hi y'all I'm new to the app and this forum. I was wondering if there is a way to change the layout of the album screen? I don't like how each song listed also contains the album art, artist name, album name, run time, and file type. Is there a way to have it just be a list of the song titles on the album without all that extra info, like on iTunes, streaming services, etc.?

Thanks!

Maybe this should be made into a feature request: Separate views for Track and Album lists

I agree, the UI would look much cleaner if the album views would be different than the track views.

In other words:

• "Track view" would be used one view for  "Folders Hierarchy", Genres, Years and other lists that are not organized by album and
  • "Album view" for lists organized by album.

The track view would contain the information as it contains today, Artist - Album. Album view would only have the Artist - Album information on the top in order to avoid the cluttering caused by repeating the information for each track.

There are multiple different views available. In the album songs view, use the three-dots menu icon in the top-left and select List Options and near the bottom of the menu you can change the 'View As' setting. You can also change this by using a pinch gesture in the song list itself. You can also remove the disc and track numbers from the meta info (via Settings > Library > Lists) leaving just track-duration and file-format showing in that area.

There is no 'ultra compact' list view that removes the cover artwork thumbnail though, or Artist/Album Title. Removing the cover thumbnail especially is something that has had regular requests over the years, but can currently only be achieved in some third-party skins (such as $YAPS$).

Andre
(two identical threads merged, as I was replying to one while others to the second thread)

3 hours ago, 6b6561 said:

I agree, the UI would look much cleaner if the album views would be different than the track views.

There are already independent List Options settings for every separate Category, and for each of the songs lists within those categories. None offer quite what the OP was asking though, which was a very simple text-only list of just the song Titles - presumably with track numbers too, which can be enabled in Settings > Library > Lists already. I agree that sort of view would be very nice to use within Album views, where every track probably has the same cover art, Album Title, and Artist name (other than compilations, but the only way to handle every possibility is to always show everything).

Andre

12 hours ago, andrewilley said:

None offer quite what the OP was asking though, which was a very simple text-only list of just the song Titles - presumably with track numbers too, which can be enabled in Settings > Library > Lists already.

Yes this is exactly what I am asking for. Is there a way I could make this an official feature request? It seems that it shouldn't be too difficult for the developers to add this to the list options. Just a simple way to toggle which aspects (album art, artist name, album name, file type, song duration) show up in the album screen?

Thanks for the response by the way. I thought I was just going crazy and couldn't figure out how to customize this.

Jacob

There is little point in adding list mode just for albums - if ever implemented, it should be available for all track lists. Poweramp stores these options by list type, so if that new "album art-less" mode is selected for Albums, it won't affect other categories.

The main reason there is small album art in the "compact" list mode - it's a placeholder for the checkbox. But probably for this new mode checkbox could be moved to the right so it doesn't overlap labels in the beginning (I don't want to add extra item animations for the checkbox there).

Thanks for the request.

I agree with Max that any such new List Option view ought to be available for use in any Category - it would be very handy in both Folders and Playlists views for example - and should be available for both the Category level views and at the Songs level.

For multi-selection tickboxes in list views, I could see two ways forward for such a new Text-Only List view:

1. Move the tickboxes to the right hand side, and have them overlaid over the end of any longer titles. This could even function in the same way as the Music Folders selector already does, with very long items scrolling back and forth as needed so you can see the whole of any titles you are selecting (such as in the ringed lines below):
    image.png

2. Rather than using tickboxes at all, highlight the user-selected lines in a different colour, in the same way that multiple files are selected on Windows on PCs, or on some other Android apps (Solid File Explorer for example, as below):
    image.png

Whichever method you decide upon though, I think it would make sense to use it  going forward for all List-format views, including the current ones, for better interface consistency.

Personally, for what it's worth, I favour option (2) as it fits better into a clean Material Design look. It would also avoid any clashes with the small re-positioning slider gadgets that already appear on the right in Playlist song-selection views.

Andre

1 hour ago, 6b6561 said:

I don't see a need for tick boxes in normal operation, bring them on when there is a need for them or high light the items.

That is already how it works, you don't see multi-selection tickboxes until you long-press on an item to start a selection process.

However the question in this thread is if Max creates a new Text-Only view, which does not show cover artwork in the list, how should multi-selections be made? Personally, I'd be in favour of dropping tickboxes completely  and using whole-line highlighting instead - no need to mess with the existing formatting at all, or add any overlaid items. 

Andre

@andrewilley

Rather than using tickboxes at all, highlight the user-selected lines in a different colour

Btw, this is already possible for skins, implemented and demonstrated in Sample skin. For the "stock" skins for now it will be checkbox to the right with the future probable change to highlight.

6 minutes ago, maxmp said:

For the "stock" skins for now it will be checkbox to the right

My only concern with that approach was for Playlists and the Queue, where the up/down slider thumb already occupies that position. Just seemed neater to use highlighting and avoid having to work around that.

Andre

Archived