Does Poweramp Utilize the quad dac in the LG G8 Thinq?

snelson77

Hey, longtime user of Poweramp, first time poster. I just bought an LG G8 Thinq and I was wondering if Poweramp uses the dac right out of the box, or if there are some settings that need to be tweaked. It doesn't seem to me that Poweramp uses it, as it says its only playing songs that are 32 bit at 16 bit. I see an option for "Hi-Res" audio in the settings, but when I activate that it only seems to sound worse. All my music sounds better in LG's music player, which is itself okay but i'd much rather use Poweramp. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. thanks

Poweramp will scan any bit-depth and resolution files that it supports into its Library, and play them regardless of any output settings. However the final output will be at the device's default mode (normally that would be 16-bit/48kHz) unless you change the settings for Output to a High Resolution method manually. Some devices work better with DVC enabled, worth trying both methods though.  

Andre

15 hours ago, snelson77 said:

Hey, longtime user of Poweramp, first time poster. I just bought an LG G8 Thinq and I was wondering if Poweramp uses the dac right out of the box, or if there are some settings that need to be tweaked. It doesn't seem to me that Poweramp uses it, as it says its only playing songs that are 32 bit at 16 bit. I see an option for "Hi-Res" audio in the settings, but when I activate that it only seems to sound worse. All my music sounds better in LG's music player, which is itself okay but i'd much rather use Poweramp. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. thanks

I am using PA on an LG G8thinQ as well. The Quad DAC only works with the headphone output, not with USB output (device dependent) or the built-in speaker (only native 16bit/48kHz).

If using headphones, the device will play up to 24bit/192kHz with the HiFi DAC enabled (choose this option in settings>Audio>Output>Hi-Res Output>Wired Headset/Aux.

The other benefit the to the Quad DAC is the impedance matching. It will drive High impedance headphones (50-600Ω) with more current, and aux devices with more voltage. This is automatic and can't be changed.

• 4 months later...

Archived