Jump to content

Music streaming license for Poweramp


Recommended Posts

Poweramp is the most feature rich music app ever and I can't believe I first used it over 10 years ago. The features available in Poweramp have never made it to other music players. Yet, I stopped using Poweramp many years ago since I started streaming music. In my (humble) opinion, Max needs to negotiate music streaming licenses with major music label brands! I can't imagine how powerful Poweramp would be with music streaming capabilities and a subscription based catalog of 40 or 50 million tracks! Poweramp needs to go after Spotify!!!! If Spotify can do it, Poweramp can do it better! Go Max! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is a misguided request.

You should try requesting to the streaming services themselves (Spotify, Tidal, Apple etc) to allow for an API and licensing so that apps such as Poweramp can use the API to access and play music.

 

I think the closest to doing this is Google Play Music and YouTube Music as they're both Google and Google is more... Err.. "open"... Right?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I suspect this is probably similar to asking for Netflix or Amazon Video to allow you to use your Kodi media streamer box to watch the programming that you have subscribed to. It's one of the reasons I haven't joined any of them, until there is a bit of joined-up-thinking that does not require me to have a different application and interface for each company.

Andre

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, haddy said:

This is a misguided request.

You should try requesting to the streaming services themselves (Spotify, Tidal, Apple etc) to allow for an API and licensing so that apps such as Poweramp can use the API to access and play music.

 

I think the closest to doing this is Google Play Music and YouTube Music as they're both Google and Google is more... Err.. "open"... Right?

Sorry, I don't see why it's a misguided request. What makes Spotify, Spotify, is their ability to provide a steaming source for you for a huge catalog. However, Poweramp's source are only local files. If Poweramp could call Spotify's API and allow you to stream music, might as well call, for instance, Sony Music's API to browse their catalog. This would put Poweramp head and shoulders with Spotify instead of being dependent on them. 

Make Poweramp Great Again! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

What Spotify API allows third-party apps to freely stream music?

Andre

 

2 hours ago, haddy said:

You should try requesting to the streaming services themselves (Spotify, Tidal, Apple etc) to allow for an API and licensing so that apps such as Poweramp can use the API to access and play music.

As suggested by Haddy, if Poweramp could call a (hypothetical) API exposed by Spotify........ 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, andrewilley said:

I suspect this is probably similar to asking for Netflix or Amazon Video to allow you to use your Kodi media streamer box to watch the programming that you have subscribed to. It's one of the reasons I haven't joined any of them, until there is a bit of joined-up-thinking that does not require me to have a different application and interface for each company.

Andre

Kodi media streamer is a platform, imo. Just like Android is to Poweramp. I'm suggesting license to stream content. The big 3 record labels have a big chunk of catalog.  

Universal Music Group
Sony Music Entertainment
Warner Music Group

The others are independent record labels and smaller players. 

 

Taken from Wikipedia:

In 2008, Universal Music Group agreed to make its catalog available to Spotify, then a new streaming service....

In October 2012, WMG became one of the last major labels to sign with Google's music service. It was also one of the last labels to reach an agreement with Spotify.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, awinash said:

Poweramp's source are only local files.

Not exactly. There are apps in the works (alpha-to-beta stages) which can provide tracks from some streaming services (deezer, soundclould, and some other region specific services) to Poweramp. Nevertheless such integration requires some public (or, at least, reverse engineered) APIs, and those are limited.

Poweramp itself just provides API which allows such tracks in Poweramp library/categories/folders.

device-2020-06-04-173809.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, maxmp said:

Nevertheless such integration requires some public (or, at least, reverse engineered) APIs, and those are limited.

I agree it's easier said than done... But this limitation/dependence is an issue that could be solved through direct licensing, and in one approach, starting with smaller independent record labels and then going after the bigger name brands. 

Make Poweramp Great Again! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...