Option to store the Shuffle Order position in playlists

I have huge playlists and like to listen them in a shuffle mode every time when I play them. When I switch to a different playlist and come back to the first one the original shuffle order is lost and re-shuffling the playlist also plays the songs that have been played in the original shuffle. This is very annoying as some songs would play multiple times and some songs would not play at all. Listening to the entire playlists having 500+ tracks without changing playlist is impossible as I play different playlist depending on my mood. 

The option to store list position is somewhat helpful as it only stores the position of the track in a playlist regardless of its order in a Shuffle mode. I have found a way around - I have to re-sort my playlists by Shuffle and have to play them by keeping the shuffle off and storing the list position. This fulfills my need but to re-sort the playlist everytime when I replay the playlist is a bit tedious. 

I would like to have an option to store the shuffle order position within the playlist. This would keep track of the order of the songs in a shuffle as well as the position of the last played track in a shuffle. At first I thought this would be impossible to code, but after seeing the List Position implemented, I think this can be doable!

Thanks.

The trouble is that shuffled lists are rebuilt from scratch whenever you choose a new playback modes, so there is no 'stored' shuffle sequence to return to (apart from when you shuffle the playlist songs manually in the first place of course).

Andre

• 4 weeks later...

I have also found this to be annoying. A work around I use is to re-sort the list then select all and save that as a new playlist then to delete the original playlist. Same songs, just different order.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2020 at 7:59 PM, Bo$$_8055 said:

but to re-sort the playlist everytime when I replay the playlist is a bit tedious

I would only wonder if Poweramp could ever guess when you want to reshuffle the playlist, without guessing wrong for someone else.

Do I understand right? I feel like I don't.

some songs would play multiple times and some songs would not play at all

But this... I hate when a music player doesn't shuffle often enough. Ideally, I should never be able to guess what track comes next. My workaround when the shuffle repeats is disabling the shuffle, changing track, and enabling it again; this starts a new shuffle and the current track is the new first track to be played on the new shuffle.

I'm having flashbacks to my horrible, old Phillips portable MP3 players. Those would pick like 40 tracks and always shuffle those same 40 tracks until you changed some files on the device. Ugh. This problem persisted and was a thing on absolutely all their MP3 players. Thankfully Poweramp doesn't do that.

1 hour ago, null said:

My workaround when the shuffle repeats is disabling the shuffle, changing track, and enabling it again; this starts a new shuffle and the current track is the new first track to be played on the new shuffle.

But the original shuffle order is lost in the process. If starting a new shuffle, the tracks that have already been played will play again and would cause some tracks to play multiple time.

1 hour ago, null said:

I hate when a music player doesn't shuffle often enough. Ideally, I should never be able to guess what track comes next.

That's what I argued before. Having identical shuffle patterns whenever Poweramp reshuffles adds up to the problem when a music player cant keep track of the shuffle order when changing playback modes (eg- playlist). But @maxmp said that shuffle patterns are built from scratch everytime when Poweramp reshuffles. If this is the case, then the shuffle patterns should be actually random and tracks can no longer be guessed.

1 hour ago, null said:

but to re-sort the playlist everytime when I replay the playlist is a bit tedious

I would only wonder if Poweramp could ever guess when you want to reshuffle the playlist, without guessing wrong for someone else.

Do I understand right?

For me, I would like the Poweramp not to reshuffle when I return to my previous playback mode and it should store the order of shuffle pattern along with the position of last played track. Playlists should only be reshuffled when the last track is played but should not reshuffle when returning to a playlist.

5 minutes ago, Bo$$_8055 said:

For me, I would like the Poweramp not to reshuffle when I return to my previous playback mode

Yeah, but how do you tell PA to return to that shuffle? Because everytime the shuffle switch changes the shuffle is done again, since when you do the shuffle it makes a new list starting from the current track, which would almost always be a new shuffle. We'd need an explicit [return to shuffle] button. Not that I'd mind. I hate reshuffling.

8 minutes ago, Bo$$_8055 said:

Playlists should only be reshuffled when the last track is played but should not reshuffle when returning to a playlist.

Yes, I agree! Making a new shuffle makes it so that tracks already played recently are potentially played again too soon.

28 minutes ago, null said:

Yeah, but how do you tell PA to return to that shuffle?

As of now, there's an option to store the list position in a playlist. The play button within the playlist returns to that stored position. If Max can implement an option to store shuffle order then this play button should work as a trigger to return to the stored shuffle and the shuffle button should start a new shuffle.

Archived