Poweramp on Android Auto

griff

Does anyone here use Poweramp in Android Auto? And if you do, do you have voice commands working that will control Poweramp? For example, can you speak a voice command to tell Poweramp to play a specific album while you are driving? 

I used to be able to (on my now old LG V20, running Android 7), but cannot on my new phone (LG G8s ThinQ,  running Android 9) and it is getting frustrating. Feels like I've taken a step backwards. :(

I really need someone to help me get Poweramp working in AA 100%! 

• 3 weeks later...

Not that it helps you, but it works fine on my Samsung Galaxy A70 listening on a Hyundai car head-unit with Android Auto. Voice commands work as well as they do elsewhere, which is not always 100% reliable for changing modes/etc, but fine for simply selecting something to start playback.

Andre

Thanks Andre! What version of Android are you running on that Samsung Galaxy A70? 

The most annoying thing for me right now is not being able to speak a verbal command and get AA to play a certain album while I'm driving. Used to work on my LG V20 (running Android 7.0). I still have it so I think I will have to painstakingly compare the Google app and AA app settings side by side with my LG G8s ThinQ until I find what is causing this... 

6 hours ago, griff said:

Thanks Andre! What version of Android are you running on that Samsung Galaxy A70? 

10, but it worked on 9 too. Android versions (and Google Assistant versions) can make a lot of difference, even the implementations between different manufacturers can change/improve/break things (in roughly equal measures). 

Andre

@griff the AA version of Assistant uses different set of commands (or different implementation, and it probably developed by other team in Google). The commands are more "focused" on the content, so it usually actually understands simple commands like "play something", "shuffle something" better when Poweramp is an active player in AA vs just raw Assistant app on the phone without AA running.

23 hours ago, andrewilley said:

10, but it worked on 9 too. Android versions (and Google Assistant versions) can make a lot of difference, even the implementations between different manufacturers can change/improve/break things (in roughly equal measures). 

Andre

Yeah, true! I've stopped updating Android Auto, the Google app, and Maps. Each time I've done an update a function or feature breaks or stops working and it is infuriating! 

19 hours ago, maxmp said:

@griff the AA version of Assistant uses different set of commands (or different implementation, and it probably developed by other team in Google). The commands are more "focused" on the content, so it usually actually understands simple commands like "play something", "shuffle something" better when Poweramp is an active player in AA vs just raw Assistant app on the phone without AA running.

Thanks! What do you mean by "better when Poweramp is an active player in AA"? 

12 hours ago, maxmp said:

@griff AA can switch between installed players, so when Poweramp is selected in AA, voice commands are aware of the music player context.

Can you post a screenshot of how this is done, or where in settings it can be done? I know in Android 7 it was an option, but in Android 9 I think it has been removed? 

• 2 years later...

@shuhailnp What happens if you select a different Output method (you are currently using AAudio, so try OpenSL ES for example). Does sound still come out of the phone speaker rather than going to your AndroidAuto car headunit's speakers? Some Android Auto connections send the actual audio stream via Bluetooth, some don't, it depends on the unit.

Andre