Constant interruptions while streaming via chromecast

I'm experiencing constant interruptions of playback while streaming Poweramp audio to wifi speakers via chromecast. I tested this on my mobile phone Huawei P9 (EVA-L09, Android 7.0) and a Lenovo Tab 2 A10-70L (Android 6.0). I've already extended my wifi network with an additional 5ghz channel, but that didn't solve the problem. If I'm using VLC player on a notebook for streaming audio via chromecast the interruptions don't appear. On the UI of my router I now discovered that streaming with Poweramp and VLC player lead to different utilization of the wifi channel (see screenshot). The sections -51 to -39, -18 to -15 and -12 to -9 show utilization streaming via chromecast using Poweramp. The sections -36 to -18 and -9 to Jetzt show utilization while streaming via chromecast using VLC player. What is the reason for the different utilization? Could the heavier wifi-utilization while streaming with Poweramp be the reason for the constant interruptions?

Thanks in advance for your help.

wifi_traffic.thumb.png.65d07f996f1296aef071f3e1561ca364.png

Just to point to some more details: of course the above-mentioned notebook is connected to wifi, though it's the busy 2.4 GHz channel, but nevertheless there are no interruptions while streaming with VLC player via chromecast.

Additionally I successfully tested streaming with VLC player via chromecast on the Lenovo Tab 2 A10-70L (2.4 GHz channel) with no interruptions - straight after facing heavy interruptions several times while streaming via chromecast with Poweramp on the same device.

Regards

I'm streaming local music files on all three devices (notebook, tablet and smartphone).

While streaming online content with Spotify, Radiodroid or Poweramp (radio streams) no interruptions occur. But I will test this again for Poweramp and turn my attention to the wifi-utilization. 

Regards 

If I'm streaming online content (radio streams) with Poweramp via chromecast no interruptions occur.

I found out that for streaming especially with Poweramp the number of wifi-speakers receiving the chromecast signal is the crucial factor for the wifi-utilization shown in the UI of my router.

wifi_traffic_2.thumb.png.7fc8b8f5ee60cb3e3c0a5827060e73da.png

• Section -59 to -47 shows the wifi-utilization while streaming local music with Poweramp to one single wifi-speaker
  • Section -45 to -39 shows the wifi-utilization while streaming local music with Poweramp to two paired wifi-speakers 
  • Section -38 to -23 shows the wifi-utilization while streaming local music with Poweramp to three paired wifi-speakers
  • Section -18 to -15 shows the wifi-utilization while streaming online content with Poweramp to three paired wifi-speakers
  • Section -14 to -10 shows the wifi-utilization while streaming online content with Poweramp to two paired wifi-speakers
  • Section -9 to Jetzt shows the wifi-utilization while streaming online content with Poweramp to one single wifi-speaker

But for streaming with VLC player via chromecast wifi-utilization is always low as described in my first post regardless of the number of the receiving wifi-speakers.

Regards

Poweramp streams raw (decoded) PCM. While this requires more data to be sent to the chromecast device, it also ensures we don’t double recompress audio (thus higher quality/less compression artifacts) and also all supported formats are “castable”.

Yes, PA streams the raw uncompressed audio (think WAV file) for the highest possible quality, whereas VLC compresses it again to make the streaming process more efficient (like an MP3). I guess each output device must need its own data feed rather than listening to one stream, so the more products that you try to stream to at once, the more bandwidth gets eaten up. 

Andre

Archived