Scanning is hogging all system resources and crashes

null

• Poweramp build number: v3-build-866-arm32-play [866002-e635c8be]

• your device model: Motorola moto e⁵ (XT1944-3)

• your android version: Android 8.0.0

• your custom ROM name/version: running on stock

• steps to reproduce:
    1. Keep some apps running services on the background
    2. Add ~90GB of Opus music (192k, cover art embedded)
    3. Start first scan, then either:
      • Wait with app in foreground
        1. PA hogs all resources and makes phone slow and hangs it, crashes, sent to main settings screen, must start scan from scratch
      • Keep app in the background
        1. Android kills the app upon switching and doing some work on the foreground, must start scan from scratch

I was not offered to send an error log but I sent the logs anyway. Currently can't use the app because it won't scan the tags.

I assume your music is on an SD Card? Have you tried reformattng the card and putting the music back clean? 90GB is a quite a large amount (especially if each individual file is huge too). Does the scan counter at the top of Settings > Library show progress is continuing, or does it get stuck? I wonder why this seems to have started happening now, as you have been a user and member here for around two years - has anything significant changed on your phone? Worth trying with the latest build of PA too (currently 868) just in case that makes a difference.

I suggest you try to start a Full Rescan, and while it is scanning try to go into Settings > Get Support > Send Log. Once done, please PM @maxmp to say you've sent it, and what email address you sent it from, so he can identify your particular log from the in inbox.

For comparison by the way, my own music collection on a high-speed 200GB Sandisk SD Card is around 60GB with nearly 7,000 files, and a Full Rescan takes 101 seconds and the phone is fully responsive the whole time (with PA in the foreground or background). And this is using a 12-month-old mid-range Samsung phone (Galaxy A70, Android 10).

Andre

@andrewilley I actually don't think I'm gonna do all that. (EDIT: the full rescan part. I already sent two logs)

I did a FULL RESET of my phone after some weird connectivity issues. Spent all day setting up my phone, it wasn't fun. (Actually it kinda was)

Well, the thing is, this issue happened before and it is still happening. You'd think the factory reset would have helped but no. It's still happening.

9 hours ago, andrewilley said:

For comparison by the way, my own music collection on a high-speed 200GB Sandisk SD Card is around 60GB with nearly 7,000 files, and a Full Rescan takes 101 seconds and the phone is fully responsive the whole time (with PA in the foreground or background).

101 seconds? Yeah there is something really wrong happening to my phone then.

For the record, music is synced through Syncthing which is faster than USB 2. I don't suppose that's got anything to do with it? No versioning, but there's a folder on the root called ".stfolder" which in the past made it not browseable under the scanner settings somehow. Still scanned fine though, but I couldn't choose what to scan. Now the opposite is true.

EDIT: sent a second log. Sending a PM to Max right now.

Large collection on slow storage may cause slower initial scan, but this is bound by IO (input output), not by CPU, thus CPU sits low. If your device shows symptoms of "resource hogging" this is storage/storage driver relocating bad blocks or doing some other bookkeeping - try to check sd card for errors on computer.

3 hours ago, maxmp said:

try to check sd card for errors on computer.

I just formatted it, as internal. I'm gonna try moving Poweramp back on the device and see what that gives me.

EDIT: Nevermind, it's already there. I'm gonna try checking it on the PC.

EDIT 2: "f3", the command line program says it's busted. My precious card is busted! Oh well, I'm getting another one now. Stay tuned for more news on my phone! okno. But maybe you should add this info to the FAQ though, that a long scanning time and ocassional crashes and hangups might be a sign of a faulty SD card. I have to confess though that I did not read the FAQ. But if it isn't there, it could be useful!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2020 at 2:42 AM, andrewilley said:

I assume your music is on an SD Card? Have you tried reformattng the card and putting the music back clean? 90GB is a quite a large amount (especially if each individual file is huge too). Does the scan counter at the top of Settings > Library show progress is continuing, or does it get stuck? I wonder why this seems to have started happening now, as you have been a user and member here for around two years - has anything significant changed on your phone? Worth trying with the latest build of PA too (currently 868) just in case that makes a difference.

I suggest you try to start a Full Rescan, and while it is scanning try to go into Settings > Get Support > Send Log. Once done, please PM @maxmp to say you've sent it, and what email address you sent it from, so he can identify your particular log from the in inbox.

For comparison by the way, my own music collection on a high-speed 200GB Sandisk SD Card is around 60GB with nearly 7,000 files, and a Full Rescan takes 101 seconds and the phone is fully responsive the whole time (with PA in the foreground or background). And this is using a 12-month-old mid-range Samsung phone (Galaxy A70, Android 10).

Andre

LOL! I just got a Samsung Galaxy A20 phone and could not afford higher priced phone like that A70 but my micro sd card is a 400gb and got used of about 213gb of it with 320cbr of songs, which is about 25000 songs, and PA loaded them up just fine and heck of a lot quicker than any other app on google play. Still on Pie OS, and have not received Android 10 update yet, since phone is Factory Unlocked, and means I can use on all carriers CDMA or GSM.

Archived