Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Some albums have multiple discs. Sorting by track # sorts it so that all songs with the same number but different discs are together, which spoils the order. Enabling sorting by disc-track would solve this. Would also be cool to be able to queue only one disc out of many in a long album.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As long as your files are tagged correctly, in Albums view you should be able to set List Options (via the three-dots icon at the top of the songs list) to sort either "By Track#" or "By Disc and Track#" jointly.

You can view the track and disc details for each song by adjusting the appropriate options in Settings > Library > Lists, to see both the Track# and Disc# in the songs lists:

image.png

You can also long-press on any song, and select Info/Tags, to see this on a file-by-file basis. 

Andre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, I must've missed this, but I still cant queue only a particulars disk and have to make a new playlist for esch disk which makes organising my library hard:(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chinmaya said:

Thanks, I must've missed this, but I still cant queue only a particulars disk and have to make a new playlist for esch disk which makes organising my library hard:(

No, you can't queue just one disc by number directly. However once they are all sorted properly, it wouldn't take much work to long-press on the first track and tick-select the rest of the wanted tracks and then tap Add to Queue (or Add to Playlist if you might want that selection again).

Andre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If discs were used for the tree, we could have this feature. It could be optional too, and when enabled, the tree would be like: "albumartist>album>disc>tracks"

1+ from me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, null said:

If discs were used for the tree, we could have this feature. It could be optional too, and when enabled, the tree would be like: "albumartist>album>disc>tracks"

1+ from me

exactly what i had in mind

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like to add, sometimes discs have a title. It'd be nice for the title to be displayed when tags are present. I know multiple discs give me that problem, that I often don't know what I'm looking at when looking at the tracklist because the track names don't help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If a single disc has its own individual title within a boxed set, that would be considered as a subtitle to the album (box) title and would need its own tag. There is a little-used tag TSST in the most recent ID3 v2.4 spec which defines a Set Subtitle, but support for generating it is patchy at best (see https://www.blisshq.com/music-library-management-blog/2018/03/27/lamentable-state-disc-title-support/ ). AFAIK, Vorbis tagging doesn't officially support that sort of thing at all.

Probably the simpler way to do it at the moment for maximum compatibility would be to give the disc its own appendix wording within the normal Title tag - e.g. the main album might be called something like "The Ultimate Collection" and a extra disc might be named "The Ultimate Collection: Bonus Unreleased Tracks".

Andre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, andrewilley said:

If a single disc has its own individual title within a boxed set, that would be considered as a subtitle to the album (box) title and would need its own tag. There is a little-used tag TSST in the most recent ID3 v2.4 spec which defines a Set Subtitle, but support for generating it is patchy at best (see https://www.blisshq.com/music-library-management-blog/2018/03/27/lamentable-state-disc-title-support/ ). AFAIK, Vorbis tagging doesn't officially support that sort of thing at all.

Probably the simpler way to do it at the moment for maximum compatibility would be to give the disc its own appendix wording within the normal Title tag - e.g. the main album might be called something like "The Ultimate Collection" and a extra disc might be named "The Ultimate Collection: Bonus Unreleased Tracks".

Andre

Sure, but digital releases of many records have many disc #s and subtitles for each disc and as long as this is a common industry practice I think it is reasonable to expect that an app will recognise them or at least give the option to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chinmaya said:

Sure, but digital releases of many records have many disc #s and subtitles for each disc and as long as this is a common industry practice 

Not sure how common it is, the TSST tag was only introduced in ID3v2.4. And the Vorbis spec (FLACs, etc) doesn't support it at all - although you could create something similar of your own within the COMMENT field.

I did a quick check on my main music collection on my PC, and out of more than 5,000 song files, just one album of 13 songs used the TIT3 tag to subtitle a track title (incorrectly in fact; they each just duplicated the normal TIT2 song title tag) and none at all used TSST in order to subtitle within an overall album title. Perhaps you could upload a sample MP3 file that does this, to see how your provider is actually saving the data?

There are of course hundreds of tagging options and sub-options, and I guess any audio player is probably only going to routinely deal with maybe 10% of the possible ones? You could fill the screen with Publisher, Copyright, Remixed-By, ISRC, Conductor, URL, Encoded-By, Involved-People, Lyricist, 21 different artwork options (including 0x11, "A bright coloured fish"!), etc, etc ad infinitum).

It would obviously be up to Max whether he wanted to implement this particular field, but I guess if he did decide to then it might be possible to append the text to the end of the regular Album Title in the player screen. Or if Disc# separation/grouping lines within list views is ever implemented, maybe the subtitle field could be append to the header/separator line alongside the Disc Number?

Andre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...