Looking for help with playlist question...

Madmax

I've recently been transitioning over from Poweramp after using the Samsung music player along with Googleplay music. I found this app after doing a little research and  following all my downloaded album art dissapearing from Samsung music after an update. Though not very sufficient on the technical side of things, I am definitely a big audio enthusiast and after having alot of time invested in downloading album art making playlists etc. it was rather annoying to find these things randomly dissapearing. I found it might be time to search for a new app. Plus after loving the Samsung Music app initially it seems to have gotten worse.

Is there any way to import these playlists into power amp? I tried the method of going into my documents/checking the playlist file then doing a search with the app to no luck. I didn't know if I was perhaps doing it wrong or it was simply just not possible. I know googleplay app basically syncs and mirrors the samsung music app. 

Any advice is much appreciated, thanks

Poweramp should look for and import any such 'system' playlists (including those created by your phone's default music app) when you first install it. If it didn't for some reason, go to Poweramp Settings > Library > Playlists > Import System Library Playlists.

For a Playlist to work, the music files that it references must already be included within Poweramp's main music library database (which is what all playback in PA is based on). To add new folders to this if your music is not already showing, go to Poweramp Settings > Library > Music Folders and ensure that any folders containing your music are ticked in the list (and SD Card access permission granted, if necessary for your Android version). You may then need to do a Full Rescan.

Cover artwork is normally expected to be embedded inside the actual MP3 audio files for the best results, but PA can also search for images online (based on the Title/Album Title/Artist tags in the files).

Andre

Thank you for the response. I tried doing it step by step exactly as you mentioned but unfortunately still haven't had any luck. It scans but still comes up with imported playlists:0 after a brief moment. Perhaps I will have to do a full rescan as you had also mentioned. I am currently still in the trial stage of the app, so not sure if that makes a difference by having limitations or not? I'm guessing no, but thought I would at least mention it.

As far as PA and the option to search for covers/album art goes, that is a major advantage as far as I'm concerned. A great convienient feature to say the least. Prior to the Android !0 update I had a album cover app that I used in conjuction with Samsung music/Google play music that was great but it still required extra steps where PA lets you get it on the fly while playing a track you can basically ad the art in mere seconds. Awesome feature

The trial version is exactly the same as paid, no feature differences, the only limit is time.

You just mentioned you recently had an Android 10 update, which sometimes causes issues with accessing system playlists. Please try latest build 867 of Poweramp and see if that helps (can be downloaded from https://forum.powerampapp.com/files/category/2-poweramp-v3-latest-releases/).

Andre

• 1 year later...

Unfortunately I have found myself in the same predicament once again. I am in the process of switching from an S9 to a S20+ and have encountered the exact same problem. I followed all the steps closely but it is saying 0 playlists available. I tried to find build 867 but no longer see it. Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Build 867 is very old now (18 months or so) and the current stable build is 911 . The latest test build is 914 though, and that offers better backup options than 911 - including backing up playlists, ratings, downloaded artwork, etc to a single portable file for use on another device.

So what are you trying to do this time? Where are your playlists currently located on your S9? Are they files (e.g. "<name>.M3U8" ) or were they created locally in Poweramp's internal database (so no .M3U / .M3U8 extenders)?

If files, just copy them to your new device and save them in a location that you have already enabled for music scanning (via Settings > Library > Music Folders).

If internal, you will need to export them to files first (in Settings > Library > Playlists > Export Poweramp Playlists) and then copy the newly created .M3U8 files to your new device.

Build 914 may well help you though, as that's exactly what its new backup/restore feature is for. But just to be safe, I'd do the old Export Playlists operation first, along with Export Settings too, just in case so you've got a fall-back option too.

Andre

Sorry I guess that was a little confusing. This time I am trying to transfer over playlists that were created locally on Poweramp as well as ones that I had previously transferred over from Samsung music.  You had helped me with those  originally. I ran the Smartswitch and transferred the SD card. Before posting I ran the scans and they were showing 0 results again. I'm going to try and find where they are located now.

Are the playlist names showing within the new Library but as empty without any song contents? Or not even showing the list names, so zero Playlists?

File paths will have changed on your new device anyway, so a Resolve/Rescan via the Playlists menu might help (but only if the list names are present).

Andre

They aren't showing at all within the new library. Yep, so its zero playlists. I tried the Resolve/Rescan keeps resulting in the "Doesn't look like anything to me" message. I looked on my old S9 and located 4 of my 13 playlists in the internal storage. Which is actually kind of odd because I don't recall ever playing with the settings. Anyway I tried to transfer vis quick share in the corded version and it keeps saying "failed". I tried everything, restarted both phones cleared the cache and everything. 

I haven't tried swapping the SD card back yet but I will definitely give it a shot today. I noticed something strange though as I was trying to familiarize myself with the new phone. I wasn't sure if the Samsung Music app still existed so upon finding it, I saw some (6) of the additional playlists I mentioned of my 13 were still there but showed as 0 tracks in each. I tried importing it from the settings then running a scan with Poweramp but it still didn't find anything.