Per track and per album cover

null

I have no idea what this is supposed to do that is any better than what Poweramp is already doing. If you embed the cover art to your tracks, that is what you can assign. Although in cases where each individual album track has a different cover, only the first track will be used for the entire album (currently). But this exercise you have posted won’t change that, other than adding unnecessary files and a whole lot of work.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Then probably you didn't get my point. Which (in my understanding) corresponds exactly to what is described in the first post of this thread.

I maintain quite a few self-compiled "Best Of" collections/albums. Each of the tracks in such a collection comes from a particular album, and has the corresponding album art assigned. I would like to keep this per-track cover art, but at the same time have a different cover art to represent the entire collection in album view.

Let me illustrate this with an example - see below Windows Explorer screenshot of my personal "Best Of" collection/album of Dire Straits.

Without the "00 - Best of.mp3" file (created as per "exercise" in my prev post) Poweramp would pick the cover of "01 - ..." as cover art in album view.

If Poweramp can do this w/o the need to have such dummy file (and I just missed this), I would be happy to know how.

image.thumb.png.7d94a86e20c9b868f5e805ea39bf6c19.png

4 hours ago, Karsten said:

Then probably you didn't get my point. Which (in my understanding) corresponds exactly to what is described in the first post of this thread.

I maintain quite a few self-compiled "Best Of" collections/albums. Each of the tracks in such a collection comes from a particular album, and has the corresponding album art assigned. I would like to keep this per-track cover art, but at the same time have a different cover art to represent the entire collection in album view.

Let me illustrate this with an example - see below Windows Explorer screenshot of my personal "Best Of" collection/album of Dire Straits.

Without the "00 - Best of.mp3" file (created as per "exercise" in my prev post) Poweramp would pick the cover of "01 - ..." as cover art in album view.

If Poweramp can do this w/o the need to have such dummy file (and I just missed this), I would be happy to know how.

image.thumb.png.7d94a86e20c9b868f5e805ea39bf6c19.png

This is pretty straight forward. Each of those tracks are already part of a complete album. What you have compiled would easily be managed through a playlist rather than moving or copying the complete file into this personal compilation. To each their own, but hardly worth pointing out as an omission or problem for the player software to have to manage.

So, you can assign individual cover art to a playlist, so that it appears with this cover art in playlist view?
I don't see this. It's just the same as with albums. 

Once again:
My post was intended as a practical workaround to the question/issue brought up in post #1.
If this is an exotic use case and by intention not supported by Poweramp - well, then it is as it is and I accept that.
I have found a means to handle such cases, and I have shared the information so others can use that as well if they think this would help them.
Also I have not complained about this fact with a single word.

I'm always open to constructive feedback, but I can't see anything like this from your posts.

2 hours ago, Karsten said:

I'm always open to constructive feedback, but I can't see anything like this from your posts.

I didn’t mean to come off as dismissive. But there are many users that visit this forum looking for insight, so I do feel this is a fringe case that may need to be considered as such. Your methods work to support your use case, so that is ideal. And others looking for a solution for similar issues will find this helpful. Even perhaps for the OP, even though this is a slightly different scenario.

Under normal use cases however, an album has a single main cover, coming from the days of purely physical media. This is what most players support when browsing, including Poweramp. I do wish there was a way to scroll through covers for songs with multiple embedded covers, but this is a different issue that has yet to be addressed as well.

2 hours ago, Karsten said:

So, you can assign individual cover art to a playlist, so that it appears with this cover art in playlist view?
I don't see this. It's just the same as with albums. 

Absolutely, while at the playlist library browser, long-press on the playlist you wish to update, choose “Image” in the submenu, then select the image you want from your browser.

As a side note and benefit, using a playlist of course will save you some valuable mobile device storage space. Rather than having multiple copies of the file, the playlist only has a text list that points the player to the original file position. You can have the same song in many playlists with only one actual copy needed on your device.

1 hour ago, MotleyG said:

I didn’t mean to come off as dismissive. But there are many users that visit this forum looking for insight, so I do feel this is a fringe case that may need to be considered as such.

I understand your point and I'm glad we have managed to sort out our communication issue 😉

1 hour ago, MotleyG said:

Absolutely, while at the playlist library browser, long-press on the playlist you wish to update, choose “Image” in the submenu, then select the image you want from your browser.

Thank you for this explanation. I missed this one, because I'm doing all changes only on PC, using mobile devices only as r/o players. Even if I had solved the issue with Poweramp it would still be the same with my car audio system because it behaves exactly the same. So my method kills two birds with one stone 😄

I'm aware of the benefits of playlists, and I'm using them to a great extent, but rather to manage play order of tracks and not to link files from different locations. I simply like to be able to copy a "Best Of" folder to whatever device, and it will works w/o any extra effort to avoid unresolved references 😊

• 2 weeks later...

Per-Folder images work well for folder browsing - as an overall folder can take on a specific desired image, rather than picking one file's image at random - and all the sub-contents will still retain their embedded images. However that can't work for tag-based Album browsing, where an overall folder's contents may or may not apply to one specific album, depending on how the user has organised their files.

It is a long-standing request for the artwork browser screen to have an extra tick-box that would allow you to assign a chosen gallery image to one song (or an overall album) only, or apply the image to all of the individual songs within that album too.

Andre

• 1 month later...

i got the same issue with the album cover thing.

i use the single cover art if exists too and sometimes the first track of the album is the single, so it shows that cover instead of the actual album cover that are embedded on some other track of the album.

i read the solution where you can place a .jpg  with the name of the album on certain folder so the app will use that as the album cover (gonna try that), but... it will be awesome if the app just let you choose which track album art will display as the album cover, something just like works in playlist, where you can choose an artwork of some track as the cover of the playlist or an image on your phone. it will be like the app doing that "place the albumname.jpg on that folder" solution automatically.

it will be really great if this feature gets implemented on the future 'cause i don't know an app that has that feature already.

• 2 months later...
On 4/27/2020 at 4:40 PM, Absinthequ said:

I believe I understand what you're asking, and it still is possible. It just isn't as easy as it used to be. You're asking for a placeholder when in album list view? 

So look at my example below, I am in artist category,  look at my "2020 B-sides" album:

Screenshot_20200427-102555.thumb.png.b6622a55afd1d5be2a0846f85fc05d7b.png

When I click it, I only have one song in that album,  but as you can see it has a different embedded cover and Poweramp did not select the art from that song. This is how v2 used to behave with cover.jpg or folder.pg

Screenshot_20200427-102601.thumb.png.7813c8bb399d4453a70906dd66bcc361.png

If this is what you're trying to accomplish, you can no longer use the cover.jpg/folder.jpg method, you just have to move that jpg to an internal Poweramp folder and name it correctly.

So in this example above I place a jpg named "Citizen Cope - 2020 B-sides.jpg" in Poweramp folder "album_art" located @ "android/data/_com.maxmpz.audioplayer/album_art"

the formala is "Artist - Album"

Restart Poweramp it's good to go.

Doing this will create that placeholder jpg for the album, but not affect any of the album art embedded in each song. This is a hack to that feature that used to be present in V2.

Thanks @Absinthequ for sharing this helpful workaround.

Regards

Please note that some special characters like ( ) : ' [ ] must be replaced by _ in the file name.

I also think it's worth mentioning that in current Android versions it's no longer possible to access the required Poweramp folder.

You either have to connect your phone to a PC and access it via file explorer or use the MiXplorer app following this tutorial:

On 1/2/2023 at 7:08 AM, heidl said:

Please note that some special characters like ( ) : ' [ ] must be replaced by _ in the file name.

man you save my life 😂 i was pissed off that that solution wasn't working on all cases. now i tried what you said and just works everytime. thank you! fr