Rescan not finding newly added folders or music

Kamenwati

Check Settings > Library > Music Folders. You need to ensure that either the upper folder that contains all of your other music folders is ticked (which will automatically select all of its subfolders too), or every sub-folder enabled or disabled manually if you only want a few folders scanned.  

Andre

Hi, I'm using 866 apk from the store.

Eveything was working like a charm the and suddenly during a song , no more sound.

I looked where could be the problem, and I realised that there was 0 songs in the musir folder, I tride a new scan, no songs.

I tried a re install with a restart of the phone several times : everytime the same issu; even by selecting the songs folders (Music  folder on my Egde 10+ last u^pdate à few week ago) and doing a full resacn each time.

The folder is full of music.

I even tried today to download the apk from the site v3 866 and 860; same issue.

When I choose a song from the Music folder and double tap on it Android asks me if I want to play it with android music or Poweramp, and everything works fine with Poweramp, but from powermap no music can be played because no music: 0 folder, 0 song finded.

Music folder checked, each sub folders checked. (the only thing: is it normal that each time I go back to the folder menu, the Music folder is unchecked, even if I checked it a few minut before and tride a scan or full scan?)

I have checked each time if Poweramp is autorised to access to the folder: it is.

CAN YOU HELP, PLEASE!!!!

Best,

Didier from France

If your Android is 10:
Poweramp is missing file permission. Go to Poweramp Settings / Library / Music Folders and enable/add appropriate music folders. The process of adding gives appropriate permissions to Poweramp.

Alternatively, use Settings / Misc / File Access Legacy Mode (but this won't work in future Android updates).

Permissions can't disappear by itself, they are managed by system components and apps and can be disabled/removed via device Settings / Apps / Poweramp. Given how poorly all this "new" permission stuff was implemented by Google in Android 10 something else or some system event can also reset permissions, but this is out of app scope, obviously.

Yes my Android is 10.

As said, I've checked if the Music folder was enbled each  time I unintall/reinstall Poweramp after the first bug, but no success.

I found a solution by unistalling again Poweramp AND Poweramp r unlocker, redownload them on the store and reinstall both.

I passed the welcome menu asking which folder to use, and I've used the general settings of Poweramp to go to the music folder enable it, and I don't know why, but this time it's works!

I hope this will stay as it.

Tahnk you and best,

• 1 month later...

When I got the new Samsung Galaxy S20 + 5G  phone, I moved my SD card (which has all the music and my playlist) from my old phone to my new phone. Then in Poweramp, I rescanned the SD card.  None of the music appeared in Poweramp.

I tried scanning multiple times by changing how I would “SELECT FOLDER” and which SCAN vs RESCAN menu I use.  (EX:  Poweramp > Settings > Library > Music Folders > Select all on SD Card > Full rescan.)  NONE of that made any difference.

I read the Forum, and I found that the issue possibly was that the new Samsung S20 phone was running Android 10 (old phone running Android 6) and Android 10 has a new security system.  I needed to give the Android “Permission” to scan the Storage files for Poweramp to use.  To do that I went to the phone’s Settings > Apps > Poweramp > Storage > Permissions > Storage> Allow.  (By default, the files on the external drive were BLOCKED by Droid OS from being used by Poweramp.)  That worked, BUT I had many non-music audios (podcasts, voice recordings) that I did NOT want, so I deleted everything in Poweramp, Selected just the folders I wanted and did a full Rescan and a normal rescan, all the music is gone once again from Poweramp. When I rescan,  Poweramp finds "Folders 0. Playlist 125, Songs:0". In my Music folder on my SD card I have 245 folders, and about 400 songs.

Also, to be sure Poweramp had the Permissions it needed, I went into Settings > Apps > Poweramp > Modify System Settings > Allow Permissions. 

Please help.

@Daveav09p there is no issue with Samsungs on Android 10 and SD Cards. If sd card is mounted and works (e.g. you can access files in system Files app), you can add (give permission and check subfolders) sd card in Poweramp Music Folders dialog - it works just fine. Files are not blocked or anything.

To Poweramp there is no difference between storages as soon as permission is given via Music Folders. The permission can be given per specific folder (and just that folder and its subfolders will appear in Poweramp Music Folders for further optional sub-selection) or whole storage can be checked as well.

Please note that there is also old "Storage Permission" which is not needed generally by Poweramp anymore (Poweramp still may request it for e.g. playlists/settings export/import). It will be used if you upgraded to Android 10 with Poweramp installed, but sometimes something can take this permission away (user manipulation or some "optimizing" apps).

There is also Settings / Misc / File Access Legacy Mode, which can be used when user managed to disable the system file picker dialog and can't/doesn't know how to reenable it or in rare cases when ROM is missing it (this makes ROM not Android compatible anymore).

Thanks!

• 6 months later...

After a system software update on my Samsung Galaxy S20 5G, I am running into a similar issue with Poweramp.  Music files "failed to play.  Storage unmounted".   Music files will play through Samsung Music and Rec Forge, and metadata displays thru Poweramp.  But Poweramp will not play music.   Phone has Android 11.    Any help?   thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hello, i am using the build 893, bq aquaris u in android 7.1.1.

I added music on my sd card and started a full rescan. The result of the scan showed that the new folder and songs were added. BUT the songs don't appear in the library. Not under artists, not under all songs, nowhere. I cleared the app data , did a full rescan, still not there. This seems to be a problem that a lot of users have and yet no solution seems to have been found.

What must i do to get all the tracks shown in the library?

Thx.

So the new content appeared in the folders and files tree in Poweramp (i.e. in the Library > Folders > song lists view) but not in places like Library > Albums.

Do these new folder songs appear in the Albums > Unknown Album list perhaps, which would indicate that the scanner was for some reason unable to read metadata from the files?

Are there any unnecessary CUE files in the folders, alongside the actual music files? If so, try enabling Settings > Library > Lists > Show CUE Disc Image Files. Or just delete the CUE files; if your music is saved as separate audio files, and they are all correctly tagged with metadata, CUE files are unnecessary.

Andre

• 2 weeks later...

Installed Poweramp and the unlocker on my S21.  Gave Poweramp full permissions in the apps folder.  Directed it to the relevant folders on the phone (no SD card) and it continually come up 0 when rescanning or full rescanning.  I've been using this app for years on my old S7 with no issues.  Any ideas?

-WinAmp fan since the 90s  (Hundreds of old skins on backup files around here.  Still use winamp on my pc._)

@sferrin It will still be a permissions issue (I assume your device is on Android 11, you didn't mention?). If you revoke permissions (or even clear app data or uninstall/reinstall) and try again that might help.

In Android 11, you first need to use Settings > Library> Music Folders and Grant Access to the specific folder where you are storing your music - ideally something like 'Music' in the root of your internal storage, rather than trying to grant access to the whole of the storage area. Then once that's done, use the Music Folders screen again to tick that same folder for PA to scan.

Andre

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same issue on S21 Ultra with Android 11.

It finds 0 tracks and each time I open music folders in settings - folders are unchecked. I check them back, "select folders" button and nothing changes. 

Performed app's data clean-up from system settings and configuring once again - same issue.

BTW, other media player (FiiO Music) works well with same folder and same permissions granted.

This FAQ entry does not help: https://forum.powerampapp.com/kb/en_us/faq/music-folders-selection-doesnt-work-on-android-1011-and-other-file-access-issues-r36/

I am ready to do some adb logging and other possible troubleshooting to help with it.

If your device has recently been updated to Android 11, please ensure Settings > Misc > File Access Legacy Mode is not enabled. Then revoke any existing app permissions for PA in Android Settings (you may even want to uninstall and reinstall PA) and then re-enable access permissions in Settings > Library > Music Folders. Make sure you grant access to the specific folder you want to use on Android 11, not to the root of the storage location. Then go back in to Settings > Library > Music Folders and tick that same folder to tell PA to scan it.

The issue is reported to be fixed in Samsung's next ROM update by the way.

Andre 

I have S21 Ultra which is Android 11 out of the box.

There is no "Settings > Misc > File Access Legacy Mode".

I allowed "Storage\All Files" in system settings for PA.

opened "fresh" PA (after app's data cleanup).

Tested multiple time. When I select "DEVICE\Music\XXX" (system UI to grant access presented) - nothing found.

But If I select "DEVICE\Music" instead (system UI to grant access presented) - scan works well. But I should de-select non-"XXX" folders inside Music, I do not want to scan.

So there is some issue with PA and how it handles permissions - other app works with "DEVICE\Music\XXX" without any issues.

But at least there is workaround

2 hours ago, stari4ek.by said:

There is no "Settings > Misc > File Access Legacy Mode".

It's near the bottom of the Misc settings menu, scroll down:

image.png

Android 11 is a little different to previous versions, you can't select the root of storage any more. In your example, first grant access permission to DEVICE/Music/ using the 'Enable' request page. Then go back into the Music Folders list again and tick either the whole Music folder, or just some particular subfolders within it - maybe XXX and YYY.

Andre

• 3 months later...
44 minutes ago, Vimal said:

Reinstall the app. Easier Solution

You'd still need to grant access to your music folders, then re-create your settings, ratings, playlists, downloaded cover art, etc. Not really easier, but would work as a last resort.

Andre