Jump to content

Separate identically named releases via MusicBrainz tags


null
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi again, I know this is my second feature request in a minute but I really want a fix for this.

I currently have all my music library tagged by beets, which uses MusicBrainz. I have quite a few duplicate releases which are the same album/single but have different exclusive tracks on them.

Poweramp consolidates these and orders these tracks by track number, then title. This results in album entries which have tracks duplicated up to three times! This is not wanted. If Poweramp listened to the MusicBrainz tags it could separate these releases and then I wouldn't have to resort to non-standard tags. Non-standard tags take a lot of time to prepare. It'd be far quicker to just tag automatically using beets, convert and use straight away.

I'll upload a screenshot with an example in a little while. My Poweramp library is currently empty. Thank you!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, null said:

Hi again, I know this is my second feature request in a minute but I really want a fix for this.

I currently have all my music library tagged by beets, which uses MusicBrainz. I have quite a few duplicate releases which are the same album/single but have different exclusive tracks on them.

Poweramp consolidates these and orders these tracks by track number, then title. This results in album entries which have tracks duplicated up to three times! This is not wanted. If Poweramp listened to the MusicBrainz tags it could separate these releases and then I wouldn't have to resort to non-standard tags. Non-standard tags take a lot of time to prepare. It'd be far quicker to just tag automatically using beets, convert and use straight away.

I'll upload a screenshot with an example in a little while. My Poweramp library is currently empty. Thank you!

@null Are the next samples you provided all on the exact same album, or are these actually different release versions? If so, you could append the release versions to the end of the album so that Poweramp, and all other players for that matter, can show them separately as you are seeking. For example,  in my library I use square brackets to show different release versions (i.e. [Deluxe Version], [2018 Remastered Version], [EP Version], etc.).

Just a suggestion, I know that everyone has their own preference. But this works for my library of 25k tracks and over 2k separate album titles including various  releases.

If the sort tags ever get added (album_artist, album, artist, composer, and title would be great!), that makes it even easier to clean up. Then you can make the sort tags have any differentiator you see fit and then have the same album tag, but sorted and shown separately. It is very nicely implemented in iOS, hoping to see this someday soon in Poweramp. 😋

G

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, MotleyG said:

@null Are the next samples you provided all on the exact same album, or are these actually different release versions?

They're different releases. You can tell because they have different covers.

 

8 minutes ago, MotleyG said:

@null you could append the release versions to the end of the album [title]

That messes up scrobbling. What I do is change the disc number so that I can still scrobble!

It also takes too much time because my library is too big, which also means I have to remember exactly which are the releases with this issue and I can't avoid missing them. Add to that the fact that beets' MBSync plugin undoes all these changes anyway (this last thing isn't necessarily a Poweramp issue. But if you want to keep your tags updated and clean, this is a big problem.)

Edited by null
unmatched parenthesis
Link to comment
Share on other sites

To be honest, I rather concur with @MotleyG's thoughts. Usually, the best way to handle cases where the 'same' album has been released in multiple different versions is to properly adjust the Album Title tag to correctly describe each one. If you don't, how are you going to tell them apart anyway when they are in a long list? Minor differences in cover art won't help when viewing in Compact List mode with such small thumbnails. So yes, tracks could technically be separated using MusicBrainz ID tags, but what have you gained in terms of actually finding the assorted content?

I would also question the logic of storing multiple extended versions of albums in their entirety anyway. For example, I've got a few albums where there is a regular release, a simultaneous Deluxe Edition or market-specific edition with a few extra bonus tracks tacked on the end, and then a much later Definitive Collection boxed-set release which includes an extra disc of supplementary material, demo tracks, etc. for each album. I would not duplicate all of the original album track files multiple times as different albums. Instead I tend to merge all three versions together, creating pseudo track numbers (or disc numbers) to sort them the way I want. The only time I'd add the whole lot again would be if there was (for example) a completely different acoustic version of an album released, for which I would ensure that the Album Title properly described the content (such as "xxxxxx (Acoustic)").

Andre

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Usually, the best way to handle cases where the 'same' album has been released in multiple different versions is to properly adjust the Album Title tag to correctly describe each one

This messes up scrobbling.

10 hours ago, andrewilley said:

So yes, tracks could technically be separated using MusicBrainz ID tags, but what have you gained in terms of actually finding the assorted content?

Poweramp could use beets' approach to disambiguation and display the catalog number, or the year, or the label or even the release type (album, EP, single), as appropiate for each case. Again, for people who scrobble changing the album title is not an option.

10 hours ago, andrewilley said:

 I would also question the logic of storing multiple extended versions of albums in their entirety anyway. [...] I would not duplicate all of the original album track files multiple times as different albums. Instead I tend to merge all three versions together, creating pseudo track numbers (or disc numbers) to sort them the way I want.

That's what I do as well. But if I could I wouldn't even bother. Again, this customised tagging approach takes too much time when you have like 10,000 tracks to go over and make sure there's no duplicates. This could be easily solved if Poweramp displayed artists and albums using MusicBrainz tags.

Edited by null
typo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

MALP is the only player (actually a MPD remote but still) that I know which supports this on Android. It's a huge help when you just want to find an official tracklist and hit play, even if you have to go in and check which one you want, because usualy one doesn't have more than two. I have three, but still.

Screenshot_20200413-143538.png

Screenshot_20200413-143836.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@maxmp will need to answer you for this. I do not use Music Brainz so have no experience to offer. But I am not sure how else a music player that uses standard tagging details can differentiate albums with identical names any other way. Hopefully Max can help or at least point you in a direction with support.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, MotleyG said:

@maxmp will need to answer you for this.

Here's hoping he doesn't hate me.

 

2 minutes ago, MotleyG said:

I do not use Music Brainz so have no experience to offer.

You're really missing out! MusicBrainz Picard is one of the best audio taggers out there. Particularly so if your music is in the database already. And you can edit the tags too, if any of them are not to your liking.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, null said:

You're really missing out! MusicBrainz Picard is one of the best audio taggers out there. Particularly so if your music is in the database already. And you can edit the tags too, if any of them are not to your liking.

I personally use mp3tag, have been for a very long time. Batch edits, awesome filtering, and regularly updated.

Like yourself I am very detailed about tagging my music and have every track as I prefer including artwork, etc. So I am good there thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...