WebDAV (Nextcloud/Owncloud..) support

Spam

Hi! 

I really love Poweramp! Have been a long time Pro user and really like all the improvements that have been made. :)

One thing I do miss is the ability to connect to my music library over Nextcloud or WebDAV. My archive is simply too big to store on SD card. 

The way I have solved it is to choose specific albums to sync in the Nextcloud app. Poweramp automatically finds the new files. Of course not at all as convenient as to have the ability to use the entire library. 

Thanks for an amazing player! 

Poweramp build 862+ supports adding 3rd party files providers (added in Music Folders via + button) and nextcloud client seems to work. Nextcloud client is not "optimized" for music player usage (initial scan may be slow, Poweramp API has more functionality) but nevertheless, it seems to work out of box.

1.png2.png3.png4.png

I saw this before I posted. Was very excited to start with, but it seems that Nextcloud driver actually downloads all files and stores them on the phone. This limits the usefulness because the phone's storage is simply not big enough. :( 

This could be a problem in how Nextcloud is handling this, but still, it makes it impractical for now. I have submitted a question to the Nextcloud issue tracker asking about this behaviour. https://github.com/nextcloud/android/issues/5814

Screenshot_20200406-115513_ASTRO File Manager.jpg

Screenshot_20200406-115314_Poweramp.jpg

Right, they support the main SAF API, but they cache all files on the device. Poweramp uses various Android APIs to support scenarios where no files downloading is needed or it can be done partially, but that requires support from the other side (e.g. providing metadata for the audio files, providing seekable remote sockets, etc.).

If I understand that link correct, the Poweramp API is an extension of the SAF, and that storage providers must explicitly support it? I think Nextcloud has a bounty program, perhaps I could put a bounty on an integration :) Have to look that up.

@Spam There are extensions, but they are not required (though desired). The standard APIs are used the way it enables fast scanning, proper and fast metadata reading, album art reading, etc.

Same APIs can be used in multiple ways, for example Nextcloud already supports most of the APIs, but it downloads whole file each time it's accessed, even just for metadata or album art. Obviously to be supported by media players, we don't want all files to be downloaded to the device just to enable media player to show titles, and that requires work on cloud provider side. That work can be quite large as it requires metadata, album art extraction on server side.

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, bjn said:

Hello everyone. I have the latest version poweraimp and I do not see the possibility of connecting cloud folders in it. What am I doing wrong?

Poweramp cannot scan the cloud for its Library content, it only supports local files accessible from your device's storage. 

There is an option to play streaming online content though (e.g. Shoutcast radio stations, or a single audio file from a website) if you know the direct URL. Go to Library > Streams > (three-dots menu icon) > Add URL.  

PA also supports some third-party clients, the API details are given in some of the posts above, but they are not PA's main method of operation.

Andre

On 06.04.2020 at 05:37, maxmp said:

Poweramp build 862+ поддерживает добавление сторонних поставщиков файлов (добавленных в музыкальные папки с помощью кнопки +), и клиент nextcloud, похоже, работает. Клиент Nextcloud не «оптимизирован» для использования музыкального плеера (первоначальное сканирование может быть медленным, Poweramp API имеет больше функций), но, тем не менее, он, похоже, работает «из коробки».

1.png2.png3.png4.png

how can i connect this?

image.png

@bjn The product which is referred to is Murglar. I don't know it personally, nor can I voucher for its authenticity or safety, but Google is your friend. Perhaps Max can elaborate on how well it works, and whether it also needs to download the whole file to your device before it can do anything with it?

Andre

• 4 months later...
On 6/1/2021 at 3:54 PM, andrewilley said:

Poweramp cannot scan the cloud for its Library content, it only supports local files accessible from your device's storage. 

There is an option to play streaming online content though (e.g. Shoutcast radio stations, or a single audio file from a website) if you know the direct URL. Go to Library > Streams > (three-dots menu icon) > Add URL.  

PA also supports some third-party clients, the API details are given in some of the posts above, but they are not PA's main method of operation.

Andre

@andrewilleyIt is just my suggestion, and it may helps. I have tried to use Cx File Explorer to connect WebDAV cloud, and open files with Poweramp, and finally found that it is just a stream served by the explorer. Poweramp can take it as an example to support under Library to access remote files dynamically via WebDAV.