Way to set Repeat and Shuffle preferences?

AVCPL

Love, love this app, but shuffle and repeat drive me insane. 

I usually just play a playlist and want the songs in that playlist to shuffle randomly (and then either stop or repeat). 

The problem is that I can't choose which shuffle setting I want before the playlist starts, then I have to switch it after the playlist is playing and when I do that it changes the repeat setting! 

Is there a way I can set my shuffle to Shuffle just songs and repeat to Repeat Off so that they're always that way until I change them for a particular playlist???

1 minute ago, MotleyG said:

When you select the playlist in the library settings, you can press the shuffle icon at the top, it will random play  the list with repeat turned off.

See, that has never worked for me. Of the controls at the top Shuffle and Play do not respond at all. Search and Select do...

860002-3d382e0a

full version 32 bit

When I select a playlist and tap the shuffle icon the first song of the playlist begins to play and at the bottom a pop-up says "Shuffle Songs and Categories"

It does not change when I tap shuffle again and it doesn't show anything if I hold it down...

This means the first song of the playlist always plays first (which is annoying when you want to shuffle!) and I always have to then change the shuffle (but have to hold down because if I tap it, it will change to Shuffle All Songs which kicks me out of that playlist, which is really annoying because then I have to start all over again).

And when I do change it to Shuffle Songs (by holding down and selecting) and then advance it, it doesn't shuffle, it just goes to the next song..

I checked on my wife's phone and it's the same version with the same issue...

4 minutes ago, MotleyG said:

Check the "no reshuffle" feature here:

Settings > Library > Lists > No Reshuffle

yes, that was on for some reason and taking it off does help in that now when I hit Shuffle after selecting a playlist, it will play a different song than the first song! yeah! 

However it still defaults to "Shuffle Songs/Categories" and has to be changed, but at least I can tap Shuffle now and it doesn't kick me out of that playlist. Thanks! 

yes, but I want to make sure it doesn't go to another category after that playlist is done, so I have to change it to Shuffle Songs. 

As per my original post, I wish I could make Shuffle Songs always the default. My playlists are so different from one another that it's really jarring if it switches out of it when the playlist is over...

You need to set Repeat Off, or set to 'Repeat Category'. Otherwise, even with only the 'Shuffle Songs' mode enabled, once the current playlist has been finished, PA will move on to the next playlist in order (as opposed to 'Shuffle Songs/Categories' which will pick a random playlist after the current one is done). 

Andre

4 hours ago, andrewilley said:

You need to set Repeat Off, or set to 'Repeat Category'. Otherwise, even with only the 'Shuffle Songs' mode enabled, once the current playlist has been finished, PA will move on to the next playlist in order (as opposed to 'Shuffle Songs/Categories' which will pick a random playlist after the current one is done). 

Andre

Exactly, and that's my original point.

With iTunes I could jump from playlist to playlist and my shuffle and repeat settings stay the same. With PA I have to always switch (or at least check) both the Shuffle and Repeat settings and when I forget it is sometimes tragic and embarrassing when listening with others, lol.

I wondered if I was overlooking a way to lock on a specific setting for all playlists, a global setting of my shuffle/repeat preferences, but I guess not. 

Perhaps this can be a feature someday?!

Shuffle and Repeat settings remain as you set them and will not get changed when you start playing new content from any song list (including songs from folders, albums, playlist, etc). However Shuffle/Repeat will get modified when you use either the Play or Shuffle small icons at the top of any song list or category, as those buttons (by definition) need to configure the way playback functions in order to do what they are meant to. But just tapping on a song to start playback (which is pretty much the only way I ever do it) won't change anything apart from the current-category mode.

Andre

Ok, got it now;

I just have to change my behavior and if I want the first song in the playlist to be random, rather than hitting play I'll just close my eyes and choose one from the list! 

Thanks for the explanation!

Yes, if you tap on any song to start playback that will commence a new shuffled sequence, but it won't change your chosen Shuffle or Repeat modes. If you use the upper icon controls, they need to change the mode in case it's on something odd like 'Shuffle All Songs' and 'Repeat One Song'.

Andre

• 1 month later...

None of the above works for me. I either get no shuffle or the shuffle includes songs outside the playlist. Why is it so difficult to simply shuffle the the songs in a playlist? Every other music app can do this

13 hours ago, Ae1 said:

I either get no shuffle or the shuffle includes songs outside the playlist.

If you are listening to a playlist, just tap the Shuffle icon (lower-right of the cover artwork in the player screen) so it shows either 'Shuffle Just Songs' or 'Shuffle Songs and Categories'. Both options will play all of the songs from the current playlist in random order. The difference between the two modes is what happens after all of those songs are done. The 'Just Songs' version moves on to the next playlist in order, while the 'Songs/Categories' option will choose the next playlist at random.

The above assumes you have Repeat set to the default 'Advance Category' by the way. If turn turn Repeat Off then playback will simply stop after all of the songs in the current playlist have been shuffle-played. If you set it to Repeat Category then PA will just carry on shuffling the current Playlist forever.

Andre

5 hours ago, andrewilley said:

If you are listening to a playlist, just tap the Shuffle icon (lower-right of the cover artwork in the player screen) so it shows either 'Shuffle Just Songs' or 'Shuffle Songs and Categories'. Both options will play all of the songs from the current playlist in random order. The difference between the two modes is what happens after all of those songs are done. The 'Just Songs' version moves on to the next playlist in order, while the 'Songs/Categories' option will choose the next playlist at random.

The above assumes you have Repeat set to the default 'Advance Category' by the way. If turn turn Repeat Off then playback will simply stop after all of the songs in the current playlist have been shuffle-played. If you set it to Repeat Category then PA will just carry on shuffling the current Playlist forever.

Andre

what you wrote is true, but you have to include some caveats that will change how things go when starting the playlist. 

Let's say you have your playlists set to play songs randomly (Shuffle Songs) and then repeat those songs when finished (Repeat Category)

1. You can not start playing the playlist by tapping the shuffle icon at the top; this will start play but will change Shuffle Songs to Shuffle Category

2. You can not start playing the playlist by tapping the play icon next to the shuffle icon at the top; this will start play but will change Shuffle Songs to Shuffle Off

3. You can not advance songs by swiping album art; it will work for a while but then advance you to the next category even if your setting is Repeat Category (it will also happen when reverse swiping taking you to the prior category)

These idiosyncrasies make understanding the categories very difficult to new users as they are not aware that settings are changing that they didn't do themselves, and this behavior is different from most other players.

Usually a player will select a song at random and start playing when either shuffle is pressed or play is pressed when shuffle has already been selected. With PA you have to select the first song to play from the playlist or else your settings may be changed (as described above). Confusing! (plus if I want random, I want the first song to be random, not a song I selected! very minor but still annoys me, lol) 

There also may be others oddities that I haven't found yet (if anyone has any to add here I would appreciate it!). 

Your three points are correct, and are all as intended.

The Play and Shuffle icons at the top of lists have to adjust both the Shuffle and Repeat mode, to ensure that playback occurs as per that chosen method - e.g. Play needs to turn Shuffle off (so tracks play in the correct order) and Repeat needs to be set to Advance List (so playback doesn't suddenly stop at the end of current album). If you don't want the behaviour to be preset in that way, don't use the shortcut icons. Instead, simply tap on any song title to start playback, and neither the Shuffle nor Repeat modes will get changed from your existing settings.

I do know what you mean about the swipe function at the end of (for example) Repeat albums though. Because the old functionality of using left/right swipes to change tracks and up/down swipes for changing categories got lost in the Poweramp v2 to v3 changes, the extra-long swipe available for the last track of a category was added to recreate a 'Next Category' operation. The Pro Buttons feature provides slight more transparent logic with << / >> for changing tracks (which does obey the Repeat setting) and <<< / >>> for changing categories (in which case the category is changed regardless of the Repeat mode, as you would expect it to be). 

Andre

12 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

I do know what you mean about the swipe function at the end of (for example) Repeat albums though. Because the old functionality of using left/right swipes to change tracks and up/down swipes for changing categories got lost in the Poweramp v2 to v3 changes, the extra-long swipe available for the last track of a category was added to recreate a 'Next Category' operation. The Pro Buttons feature provides slight more transparent logic with << / >> for changing tracks (which does obey the Repeat setting) and <<< / >>> for changing categories (in which case the category is changed regardless of the Repeat mode, as you would expect it to be). 

Andre

Thank you for the reply. Do you think the swipe function will be changed in the future so that it just continuously cycles through the category when on repeat?

As I said earlier, when I am driving it is much easier to change tracks by swiping than by finding the correct button..

3 hours ago, AVCPL said:

Do you think the swipe function will be changed in the future so that it just continuously cycles through the category when on repeat?

A lot of people have requested that the vertical swipe feature for changing Categories (which was standard in Poweramp v2) be returned, which would allow left and right swipes to always mirror the action of the << and >> buttons (including during Repeat modes).

Currently swiping up does nothing, and swiping down just duplicates the functionality of tapping on the cover artwork, so I'm not completely sure why up/down swipes for category changes went away in the first place.

You can do what you are asking by using the << and >> Pro Buttons of course, but I completely understand why that's not ideal for you while driving. Perhaps @maxmp might take pity on your dilemma and reinstate the vertical swipe feature?

Andre

Going back to my question on May 23 (I either get no shuffle or the shuffle includes songs outside the playlist), I tried what Andre suggested. If I just tap the Shuffle icon, the player immediately starts playing a track not on the current playlist. If on the other hand I hold down the Shuffle icon it brings up another menu of more options. I then choose "shuffle songs" from this menu. The first time I tried this it worked. However every time I tried it subsequently on different playlists it didn't work, i.e. the tracks played back in the original order and were not shuffled. Any idea why?

Archived