multiple artists ID3 tag support

mcsltr

Hello

Poweramp is the best player out there so far. Lots of important features are there, really nice modern design, and pretty easy to use
But it would be awesome, if you would support multiple artists (like in collaborations).
In mp3tag editor you input this like »Artist 1\\Artist 2« and the editor is then saving the same tag twice with either name in it. Windows displays those Artists correctly seperated like »Artist 1; Artist 2«. Poweramp should seperate them too, currently it's displayed like »Artist 1 Artist 2« combined like one name and listed like that as a seperate entry in the library too. Creates a mess and you can't find all songs of one artist including the collaborations. I think, this is important, since collaborations are a common thing. same goes for other multi-entry fields like Genre, Album Artist etc. involving the same method.

Please update that 🙇🏽‍♂️

@andrewilley I have this added to the TODO list. One note that this feature will be optional, as it changes how songs are categorized and that change can be unexpected by many users if set by default. It also makes few things harder, such as album art search (which expects just one artist field).

On 3/20/2020 at 4:08 PM, maxmp said:

@andrewilley I have this added to the TODO list. One note that this feature will be optional, as it changes how songs are categorized and that change can be unexpected by many users if set by default. It also makes few things harder, such as album art search (which expects just one artist field).

I think the people that have been anticipating this feature (which is many) are prepared to retag their entire massive library and deal with any of the  little quirks that come with it. This feature outweighs many other features greatly for certain people.

I would suggest a forced pop-up after the new version is installed, asking if the users want to enable this new feature (simple yes/no option, saying they can always do it later in Settings) and warning of possible side-effects. Otherwise, no-one will ever find it as most users never read change logs. And set on by default for new installs.

Andre

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a standard way in id3 to support multiple artists? I don't think it is. So different players have implemented different ways to add support. Is the ; and // the most common? For example how does Plex, Winamp, VLC and other common players do? 

Some tag formats actually allow you to have more than one of each tag, but not all support that. PA does not support multiple artists at all yet, but when it does you can expect to have ";" and "//" set as the default separators, although you'll be able to edit your own if you wish (as per the current system with multiple Genre tags). I've seen some artist tags in the wild use "\" or "\\" too.

More common characters like ","  "/" or "&" would not be a good idea as they would break some compound names such as "AC/DC", "Adam & the Ants", "Crosby, Stills & Nash", and so on. 

Andre

http://id3.org/id3v2.3.0 states:

TPE1
The 'Lead artist(s)/Lead performer(s)/Soloist(s)/Performing group' is used for the main artist(s). They are seperated with the "/" character.

And I agree with Andre that "/" is a bit to common to use sensible to separate fields.

How about making the separator configurable? One box, ENTER SEPARATOR [  ] if it's set, then PA will split on the given string?

What comes to find is other formats that might have it's own standards, so would this be for only mp3?

25 minutes ago, 6b6561 said:

How about making the separator configurable?

It already is (for Genre tags anyway, which already allow for multiple terms for each track). Settings > Library > Scanner > "Symbols to Split Multiple Genres". The defaults are ";" and "//", but you can define your own. 

Andre

Archived