Song length goes on for 11 more seconds than elapsed time

Martin Medrano

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As Max has said, the header information in your MP3 file probably does not contain the correct running time information, so PA has to 'guess' the overall length based on the file size and the stated bitrate. This calculation can go wrong if the file uses a variable bitrate, or it has a large header block (such as a big cover image) which will skew the file size. If you could upload a sample file, it would be possible to confirm that though.

Andre

If you can share one or two files that show this problem, via either an online file-sharing site (Dropbox, Google Drive, etc), that might help Max see what's going on, and if there's anything he can do to workaround this issue for your file types. Obviously take the file back down after it's been looked at.

Andre

That file works fine for me, it shows a total length of 3:54 in PA and on my PC audio programs, and that's how long it plays for if you start listening to it from the beginning. Have you maybe edited it after you first used it in PA, in which case perhaps the modified status of the file is not getting updated? Try a Full Rescan (in Settings > Library) to see if that helps. Is it only this one file that is causing you this problem?

Andre

Yes like i mentioned the app i use is automatag that is what i used to edit the tags of the song. And i did a full rescan but it did not help. If you listen to the song there is a part of the song that happens at 3:17 without using the wave seek to get to it. If i seek through the song that part at 3:17 does not happen until 3:37. Hope this makes sense. 

Ah, you didn't mention seeking before. Sometimes if a file does not contain suitable 'helper' metadata to aid with finding locations within VBR data, then seeking to a very specific timecode can be a bit inaccurate. However in this case it also seems to work fine for me, timecode 3:17 plays the same portion of the song whether I start from the beginning or seek to it..

Andre

59 minutes ago, Martin Medrano said:

Ok i went into the app that i use to edit the tags and removed them. I edited them inside Poweramp instead and it fixed it now i just need to find a way to embed album art into the file. 

I use TagScanner on my PC, you can batch edit tags, add artwork from files or clipboard, etc.

Andre

Try it and see, it works fine for me.

But remember that if the positional help data is not correct within the file (it's basically a table of contents, TOC) then the larger an image file that you add, the worse seek precision might become. The easiest way to check is to try to seek to somewhere near the start of the file (a few seconds in) and see if it lands there, or at the zero point. 

Andre

I usually look on Amazon for cover artwork, but Googling would probably work well too. Right-click and Copy Image, then just paste it into the artwork box in TagScanner and Save the file.

TagScanner is a batch tag editor, it's not an automatic title/image/lyrics/etc finder.

Andre

Archived