Poor Sound Quality after upgrade (Galaxy S8 / Pie)

Lando

My bad but I forgot to mention that everything does work fine if I updated to the most recent build. But the reason why I stuck to build 828 was because of another issue, that being the change in sound quality on the Hi-Res Output for Wired Headset/AUX on any build after that one.

I have done so many times and nothing changes sadly, the sound is this low and when the volume is raised the sound just becomes off. This has been an issue some time back when I updated my phone back in October. That's when I looked through the forums for help and came across people with a similar issue on here:

https://forum.powerampapp.com/topic/16243-please-fix-hi-res-for-samsung-pie-update/

Well, I own a Samsung Galaxy S8 while currently running Android Pie with build number: G950USQS7DSL2. I use Apple earphones while I'm listening to music so I'm on Wired Headset/AUX for output devices. When I updated my phone during October to Build number: G950USQU6DSH8, I noticed that the music had very low volume and the bass had a cap on it, as if a DVC was placed on it. That's when I started fiddling with the settings and noticed when any DVC setting was turned on or off little to nothing was changed, it sounded the same. That then prompted me to download previous versions in hopes of the problem going away and that's when I stuck with build 828 because any build after that would alter the sound.

I don't think I can reproduce any issues with the very similar setup (S9 on Pie, I downgraded my S8 on Android) - for the default settings. You want to disable Media Sync (this causes 2 volume changing points - phone and device itself) for getting most from DVC + Equalizer. See Poweramp Settings / Audio / Direct Volume Control instructions. 

But if you don't want deep equalization or can't use DVC, just default settings will work fine. There is -6dB default headroom for non-DVC equalization, which can be easily set to 0 by upping Preamp knob.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

[I've moved this to its own topic as it is no longer about a black screen on startup which was fixed for you in newer builds]

Have you tried resetting all Output modes to defaults, and also turning off all EQ and other audio mods (stereo expand, reverb, etc) and also disabling any manufacturer-installed audio mods in your device to see if that helps. Then you can start adding features back in one by one.

Andre

@Lando Both Poweramp and Samsung ROMs have many builds for the year passed from Jan 2019, so yes a lot of development there.

As for possible issue with sound on Samsungs, it's usually incorrect audio output, DVC, Media Sync (absolute volume) settings. Restore defaults + disabling media sync should resolve everything. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I've reset everything to default multiple times, fiddled with sound options on the app, and disabled built in manufacturer audio applications and nothing has changed. I don't think it could be on my end because I leave my settings alone. I believe that it could be some type of compatibility issue with the OS and Poweramp. I've been trying my best to investigate this issue since its occured but it's difficult to find anything. All I know is that Build 828 sounds perfectly fine, but anything after that build affects the sound. Also when listening to music on any build after 828, to get it at a normal volume I have to change the sample rate to 352.8kHz or higher. Even then the bass is still lowered in volume. Now what I recently just found is that when I am on Build 828, the sample rates work oppositely, with it sounding fine on 48kHz but when raised it gets lower in volume. So now I'm just assuming that the sample rates just got affected somehow with the subsequent builds/updates.

Archived