FiiO M7 License?

Juan Rincon

Sorry, the Play Store multi-device licence requires a live internet connection to be available during installation, and the same Google account must be in use on all of the target devices.

You could buy an extra email-based licence directly from the website here, but that would be valid for a single device only,  and would still require an initial internet connection while being set up. 

Andre

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, fellow M7 owner here -- I use Poweramp on my device. Note that I have purchased the license from the web store and do not use the Google Play version, that one won't work on the M7.

The M7 has a Bluetooth radio. I set my smartphone to Bluetooth tethering and connected my M7 to it so I could share the connection for authenticating Poweramp. It's not a particularly fast connection but it's good enough for doing a quick license check.

I hope that helps!

• 3 weeks later...

i can confirm that nadozza is correct.

but theres a easier way me and some others have found.
the m7 has wifi, but the settings are hidden from the users probably to extend the battery life..

1. download and install a settings app. i used quick settings downloaded from f-droid 
    if quick settigns wont install, then you will need to disable the app whitelist.
    the following is from he firmwares changelog "to remove the white list app limitation; You can go to "Settings -> General -> About device" and tap 7 times on 'Kernel version' to remove the limitation"
  2. open the wifi setting, using "quick settings" this will forward you directly to the normal android wifi settings,
  3. just add your wifi like normal.
  4. activate Poweramp like normal.
  5. and disable wifi to save battery life.

On 2/9/2020 at 6:11 PM, Overlord_Laharl said:

i can confirm that nadozza is correct.

but theres a easier way me and some others have found.
the m7 has wifi, but the settings are hidden from the users probably to extend the battery life..

1. download and install a settings app. i used quick settings downloaded from f-droid 
    if quick settigns wont install, then you will need to disable the app whitelist.
    the following is from he firmwares changelog "to remove the white list app limitation; You can go to "Settings -> General -> About device" and tap 7 times on 'Kernel version' to remove the limitation"
  2. open the wifi setting, using "quick settings" this will forward you directly to the normal android wifi settings,
  3. just add your wifi like normal.
  4. activate Poweramp like normal.
  5. and disable wifi to save battery life.

True, this also works.

Just to note for those trying this method, you need to be on the lastest M7 firmware to disable the whitelist. If that step isn't working for you, please update your firmware and try again.

• 3 weeks later...

So, just to confirm:

Is it possible or not possible to authenticate against your existing purchase through Google Play using the methods described above? Seems like it is not possible w/o purchasing a separate license, but not totally clear.

30 minutes ago, jtx2 said:

Is it possible or not possible to authenticate against your existing purchase through Google Play using the methods described above? 

The above tweaks enable wifi, so you can connect to the internet via your home network and authenticate a purchased licence. However unless you have also managed to install the Google Play Store on your device, you won't be able to authenticate anything that you purchased via that store.

Andre

Thanks @andrewilley, that cleared it up nicely.

Confirmed that the process described by @Overlord_Laharl works. Enabling the otherwise hidden WiFi capability of the Fiio M7 is a major benefit, too.

I did not have luck with tethering as @nadozza suggested, but that is probably down to my Android phone, PC and iPad (all of them!) not playing along well with sharing Internet via Bluetooth.

• 4 weeks later...

i also had issues with the tethering method, but that issue is what led me to discover the built in wifi independent to others (others have found it first).

On 2/10/2020 at 10:01 PM, nadozza said:

True, this also works.

Just to note for those trying this method, you need to be on the lastest M7 firmware to disable the whitelist. If that step isn't working for you, please update your firmware and try again.

you need to already be on the 1.0.7 firmware to even install Poweramp. as thats when the ability to install APKs was introduced.

• 7 months later...

Archived