Help with shuffle (V856)

IFW

I've just installed Poweramp v856 and have been trying to get my head around the shuffle options and how to make them do what I want, after a fair amount of forum searching and trying things I thought I'd just ask.
how do I make Poweramp do the following:

1. from the Album Artist catagory, select an artist and have PA play a random album (in track# order) then move on to another random album from the same album artist
  2. from the Albums catagory have PA play a random album in track# order then move on to another random album

ideally without having to poke into settings each time..

1. Start playback of any song from within the relevant Artist > Albums view (playback mode if you look in the metadata line will show as ARTIST ALBUMS). Set the Shuffle mode in the player screen to 'Shuffle Categories' (this is done by tapping, or long-pressing, on the Shuffle icon in the lower-right).

2. As above, but start in Albums mode instead of Artists. The shuffle mode probably won't have changed from the above, but if you've done anything else in the meantime set it back to 'Shuffle Categories'.

You can also use the Shuffle icon at the top of the Artist or Albums lists, but that will generate a full shuffle and so both the album choices and the tracks within them will be randomised, which isn't quite what you asked for.

Andre

OK, thanks for the help. shame there isn't a way to trigger the category shuffling from within the library directly but I guess that would lead to a lot of different required behaviours based on the context when the shuffle button is pressed.

On 1/2/2020 at 4:03 PM, IFW said:

OK, thanks for the help. shame there isn't a way to trigger the category shuffling from within the library directly but I guess that would lead to a lot of different required behaviours based on the context when the shuffle button is pressed.

+1. I'm advocating for the implementation of that option. 

I must admit that even though they are available, I personally rarely find myself using the Play/Shuffle/etc options in the category lists. I just tap on a song from the relevant 'songs' list to start playback, and then adjust the Shuffle or Repeat modes (if I need to) in the Player Screen. Just force of habit I guess, that's how I've used PA for 10+ years, long before those new icons made an appearance. :) 

Andre

I'm also used to that behaviour, to be honest, as I also use Poweramp for a long time now (I don't even remember since when, I guess probably around 2012).

But as an unconditional album shuffle enthusiast (it has become my "default" way to listen to music), I think I could benefit from that option. It would in any case reduce the number of steps needed to achieve the same goal.

As a side note, and that's only my humble opinion, I would even find it logical to do so: when in the songs list, shuffle icon shuffles songs, when in a "category" list like the albums list, it shuffles that category, etc.
But I'm all too aware that the ->shuffle equals shuffle all songs, no matter what<- behaviour is heavily printed in most people's mind, so those kind of requests don't tend to raise crowds. You can clearly tell by the fact Poweramp is nearly the only player available that can do album shuffle and do it well. iPods even ditched that option some years ago. You can also tell by the number of people creating an account here just to complain about how confusing the shuffle options are (they're not, really, you just have to think logically) and some even asking to ditch all those options.
With the advent of dematerialized music and portable players/smartphones, I'm afraid that people that became music consumers at that time imposed some behaviours to minority music lovers, who were already used to CDs and other physical formats.

Archived