Bit Perfect Mode!

Larethio

Poweramp's UI is vastly superior to any other players. But i had to move on UAPP as it has Bit Perfect Mode as any true audiophile player should despite its inferior UI. So its not impossible. Why such a low priority? Its literally the only flaw of this app. Makes the Hi-Res option pointless.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seconded... there really NEEDS to be an option to dispense with the resampling nonsense on hardware that supports high resolution audio natively. Poweramp is head-and-shoulders above EVERY other Android app in terms of design and usability.  Please, please, PLEASE consider taking this amazing software to the very top of the field!

@maxmp This would be ideal in a case using USB-DAC as a source with outboard amplifiers. I use this both at home with a Pioneer/Elite receiver with a built-in USB-DAC input, as well as in my car using a 24bit/192kHz capable USB-C to analog out as an input to the factory system. Both could take advantage of 100% volume and no internal tone/EQ. In both cases, I currently have to adjust the volume to maximum every time I connect because Android Pie automatically lowers the volume "for my protection."

18 hours ago, maxmp said:

What is the output device you're trying to use? Bit perfect means 100% volume and volume control outside Android device and resampling is not the main issue here.

@maxmp For example, the iBasso DX-160. Resampling IS the main issue: such devices are perfectly capable of playing DSD audio or any other formats/sample rates via their hardware... and we see support for such hardware in apps like Neutron, Hiby and UAPP but none... NONE of those apps are anywhere near as polished, UI-specifically, as Poweramp. Would be VERY grateful if you could look into supporting such devices in such a manner.

• 2 months later...
On 3/15/2020 at 10:30 PM, Larethio said:

Back to UAPP again

same for me too, on my FIIO M6 Poweramp would give the best UI but can't provide the same quiality sound output as UAPP or FIIO Music - both of which output at the source bitrate without resampling etc..

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2020 at 5:28 AM, maxmp said:

Right, this mostly will work with number of USB DACs only. No way it will work properly across Android devices/built in dacs or Bluetooth.

Were if that the case, I think it is ok to have it as a function. As Hiby Music also only accept bit perfect with usb dac, and it is also free.

By the way Ibasso daps has a mod to trick the system internal dac as usb dac just to have uapp and hiby music bit perfect to work also.

Edited by Banbeucmas

• 1 year later...

Bumping this as I agree with the above sentiments. Poweramp is by far the best looking and most intuitive music player out there, but this option is sorely missing. And it really should be an option, it would be a detriment to no one and a huge boon to those that use dongle DACs and can take advantage of it.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@96KHz Bit perfect buzzword means you must have volume control in analog form or in digital amplifier - it should not DSP based as in 100% of Android phones. Volume control in DSP is multiplication. Most (all?) usb dongles do not have such volume control.
I guess hi end gear may have it also a few portable DAPs (though that should be verified).

I think most of the time when people ask about 'bit-perfect' audio paths they seem to use the term rather loosely. They are generally more concerned about avoiding any frequency or bit-depth resampling, but they accept simple digital scale changes to adjust the listening level at the output stage.

So an option to dynamically change the output frequency and bit-depth (where possible) so the output matches with the original content of each source file would go a long way to making them happy.

Andre

1 hour ago, andrewilley said:

They are generally more concerned about avoiding any frequency or bit-depth resampling, but they accept simple digital scale changes to adjust the listening level at the output stage.

I agree that for the general users that have requested "bit perfect mode" that this may be the case. But there are also many that have external DAC solutions, where Poweramp and the user's device strictly become the source. So I would ask to have this addressed in two ways if/when an implementation arrives.

First is to achieve a "No Resample" mode to maintain bit depth and sample frequency while playing on any device. Note that in these cases, by definition cross fading between tracks with different rates and frequencies is not possible. So enabling this mode would force defeat the crossfade function. In this mode, things like duck, EQ, and volume can still be used. So not really a bit-perfect mode. But this should address the request for most that are asking for this IMO. There should be a description at this setting that indicates which features may not work if enabled.

Second would be to lock a true "Bit Perfect" mode with no duck, EQ, or volume control influence. Again crossfade would also need to be defeated in this mode. This would be for those using Poweramp as a dedicated source only. There again should be a description at this setting that indicates which features may will work if enabled. Plus I would suggest to further have some sort of second pop-up disclaimer indicating that volume control will be lost, and that the device will output full volume. Pressing OK (or "Are you really sure?") would then enable the feature, or "Cancel" to back out without making the change. Perhaps one step further would be to have an indicator show up on the Now Playing UI to show that this mode is engaged. This may help to keep complaints down if users experiment with the feature while wearing headphones! 🙄

An "Output Follows Source Formatting" mode would satisfy most of this type of request that I've seen in the forums. People who ask for it often maintain that they would prefer to use PA for all of its other features (such as the EQ) so they clearly are not interested in genuine bit-perfect reproduction which would prohibit any further digital manipulation of the audio path - so no gain/volume, EQ adjustment, crossfade, etc. They more accurately want a no resampling mode.

I also think the resulting issues with crossfade and gapless may be a bit of a red-herring too. Within any given album it's unlikely that the individual tracks would be encoded at different sampling rates or bit-depths anyway, so gapless would still work. The main time it would be an issue is during All Songs shuffle play, and it would be easy enough to add a second option to allow PA to disable the Format Following feature while shuffling random songs (if the user preferred it that way).

Andre

1、Reference neutron player,Provide at least one option,enable or disable "Follow Source Freq",This is more reasonable。

2、PCM OR DSD Always switch,Manual selection Freq is Unimaginable。

On 4/12/2022 at 5:18 AM, andrewilley said:

An "Output Follows Source Formatting" mode would satisfy most of this type of request that I've seen in the forums. People who ask for it often maintain that they would prefer to use PA for all of its other features (such as the EQ) so they clearly are not interested in genuine bit-perfect reproduction which would prohibit any further digital manipulation of the audio path - so no gain/volume, EQ adjustment, crossfade, etc. They more accurately want a no resampling mode.

I also think the resulting issues with crossfade and gapless may be a bit of a red-herring too. Within any given album it's unlikely that the individual tracks would be encoded at different sampling rates or bit-depths anyway, so gapless would still work. The main time it would be an issue is during All Songs shuffle play, and it would be easy enough to add a second option to allow PA to disable the Format Following feature while shuffling random songs (if the user preferred it that way).

Andre

+1 to an "Output Follows Source Formatting" mode that avoids resampling. 

Most of the time I use PA with its equalizer, which is very good. However, when listening to playlists with tracks encoded at different sampling rates and/or bit depths, I switch to UAPP, whose equalizer is not nearly as good as PA's (and whose UI is much worse). A "no resampling" mode would allow me to finally ditch UAPP.

Edited by reverbel

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...