Progress bar/text for scanning music folder library

dez93_2000

Hi,

I'm having Poweramp scan ~350gb of music on my microSD which is taking ages which is totally understandable and fine.

Two things though:

Bug: having started the process, it seems the scanner has successfully indexed the entire collection (all album folders seem present, folders say the correct number of items (tracks) inside, folders have the album art), but no tracks are actually inside the folders, and the total time of tracks in the folder is zero. I presume this is a sort of placeholder / midway progress situation whereby the scanner has done an initial index and built the library, and then does a second pass to scan the file for metadata (e.g.) and only at that point does it become playable?

Feature request: while scanning it would be great to have a progress bar and/or a text console which prints the currently scanning folder.

Cheers!

I've had cases on microSD card where I added an album (folder) and then did a full rescan (bottom of Librarysetting screen) and had results similar to what you describe. I could see the folder, but the folder shows 0 songs. Can't remember if the Folder.jpg album art showed or not. Seems like I did a power cycle on the phone and then scanned again and the music showed up.

Thanks for the request. Right, Poweramp will quickly scan folder structure, but tag scanning (called Scanning Library in Settings / Library) is a bit slower. There is (circle animation) progress in library headers and settings already. A bit more detailed scanning statistics with the number of scanned items is planned for Settings / Library. 

This seems especially useful for Android 10 where access speed to the storage is reduced by up to 10x.

Cheers Max. Yeah anything that would give you a sense of how long is left would be useful. For me even a console print would work cos my stuff is alphabetical which is probably true for many other folks too. But I guess a percentage-omoter probably ain't too hard to code...

Interesting news about android 10, is it deliberately gimped or did they F up the code somehow?!

@dez93_2000 this is due to enforcing so called Storage Access Framework / Isolated Storage API - so there is no direct access to filesystem anymore. They planned to enforce it for Android 10 in 2019, but later decided to move deadline to 2020, but Poweramp already implements, supports, and tries to be as fast as possible with it, so it's enabled in Poweramp.

Plugged Moto x4 - Android 9 phone into PC and set to allow file sharing. Copied 3 albums to phone and then did a "Full rescan" (bottom item on Library settings) and here's what I got. Note that the 3 albums Awake, Fleetwood Mac and Europop show the "Folder.jpg" for each album and a song count, but no time. If you click on the album it shows no songs. I can go into File Manager and click the songs and they play with PA so it appears PA has a problem when reading some directories. I then restarted the phone and did the scan again and it picked up everything for all 3 new albums.

834536918_FolderError.thumb.png.d7addfc1c0c4b641f10e966791c5f2ae.png

Archived