Poweramp Can't Access Music Storage (Android)

RyanR

Have had issues with Poweramp for Android since upgrading to Android 10. Unlocked/Rooted Pixel 3XL running Android 10 Build QP1A.1911105.003

When I go to select the music folder, the file menu doesn't allow any navigation. Using the "Enable" button does nothing. I've manually changed the permission on the storage to "allowed" but still no luck. Have had the same issue with (1) v3-build853-arm64-play [853004-ea856f2] from the Play Store; (2) latest v3-853 build from the download page here and (3) the older v3-841 build from the download page here. If I select a music file in the file explorer, Poweramp will play it, but the song won't be included in the library thereafter.

Android will sometimes spit out an error message: "No Activity found to handle Intent { act=android.intent.action.OPEN_DOCUMENT_TREE (has extras) }." Attached a log

Screenshot_20191108-092526.png

Screenshot_20191108-092406.png

logreader_2019-11-08_13-40-34.log

• 2 weeks later...

Moto X4

Android 9

PA v853

All my music is on a MicroSD card in my phone.

I see this sometimes on individual folders on my SD card. Sometimes when I copy an album (folder) from my PC to the phone using a USB cable and then do a scan the new album is not added. If I then go to file manager on the phone and click a song in the new album (folder) it plays in Poweramp, but the track counter shows --/--. Sometimes if I do a restart on the phone then do a scan the new album (folder) is found and added. On one occasion I ended up shutting down the phone removing the SD card and reinstalling the card fixed it.

1 hour ago, w3wilkes said:

I see this sometimes on individual folders on my SD card. Sometimes when I copy an album (folder) from my PC to the phone using a USB cable and then do a scan the new album is not added.

That is most likely to be that the new folder has not being flagged as new/modified in the Android file system for some reason, so PA is not seeing it as something it needs to check. A Full Rescan should solve that without resorting to reinserting the SD Card.

Andre

On 11/20/2019 at 3:48 PM, andrewilley said:

That is most likely to be that the new folder has not being flagged as new/modified in the Android file system for some reason, so PA is not seeing it as something it needs to check. A Full Rescan should solve that without resorting to reinserting the SD Card.

Andre

This happens on a Full Rescan!

I have the same problem OnePlus 6 Android 10.

I've tried ...
 * manually allowing storage permission
 * clearing the app data 
 * uninstalling/reinstalling Poweramp - still can't propagate the music library.

Other music players working fine.

Screenshot_20191127-173430.jpg

Think I found my issue ...

... I had previously disabled Documents OnePlus.  Re-enabling this seems to allow me to select the storage.

(if someone else has this problem and disabled or debloated Documents - try re-enabling it)

• 2 weeks later...

You device firmware is missing critical system component. Granted not all apps out there use it, but Poweramp does (and all Play apps will be required to do so in 2020), so I recommend fixing the issue with your system first. 

The issue is described in the details in this and linked posts. That Files by Google app contains that (updated) dialog and have all intent filters for it. If you installed it and no dialog still appears in Poweramp music folders selection, something blocks it. You may have some luck capturing and posting log right after you try the dialog. The issue is outside Poweramp app scope and support, but I glad to help.

Thanks!

• 2 years later...

Hello, I found a fix for the issue described here. Installing the Files by Google app didn't fix it, but installing the DocumentsUI app did. I'm not an Android expert by any means, but I'm guessing it's needed if your device is running an older Android version (in my case it was an Atoto head unit running Android 10).

https://source.android.com/docs/core/architecture/modular-system/documentsui

The specific APK I downloaded is located here:

https://github.com/hvdwolf/FYTuis7862BinRepo/

There may be a more official location but this is where I was referred from an Atoto forum and it worked for me.

I do realise this thread is nearly 3 years old but adding this reply in the hope it helps someone else. 

• 2 weeks later...

This is how I got it to work for me.

When you see the "can't use this folder" screen, simply click on your music folder from the list, then at the bottom of the screen you'll see "Use this folder".

It is frustrating because you think that the folder is completely locked, it's not, you just have to select the folders that you wish Poweramp to use.