How to export playlists for Windows 10 Media Player?

JDS

This is really confusing to me.. I exported the m3u8 playlist files to my google drive, downloaded them to computer (into playlists folder, Windows 10), but then what?

VLC won't open them because A. I didn't have some of the songs on my computer yet (am syncing music right now),  B. Obviously the paths are all wrong.

I tried changing the path (in notepad, matching a path from a wpl file) in a playlist that has one song that is on my computer, but neither Windows Media Player or VLC would open it.

So, could  someone please tell me how to do this? I would really like to have my playlists from Poweramp (Pro) on my computer to use.

They work fine for me in Windows Media Player, VLC, Foobar2000, Zoom Platyer.

As you say, the paths may be an issue though, Your music needs to be in the exact same directory structure on both devices for them to work seamlessly. Poweramp will try to resolve mismatches when importing (it looks at the filenames and their containing folders, and tries to match those with its scanned music database) but I don't know if other programs do the same or are more strict about their path matching. Might be worth changing the Linux style path separators ( "/" ) to Windows standard "\" too, but many programs cope with either.

You could try changing the playlist filename to M3U instead of M3U8 (probably won't make a difference though, the contents are still the same).

For most of the playlists that I want to swap between devices, I use relative paths rather than absolute ones. This means that the info defining the files is based from starting at the current directory where the playlist file is stored, rather than giving a full reference to the drive name and any top level folders. You can even use the 'two dots'  ("../") modifier to go up to a parent folder within a path line if you want to keep all your Playlist files in one folder rather than your music's root folder.

Andre

13 hours ago, andrewilley said:

They work fine for me in Windows Media Player, VLC, Foobar2000, Zoom Platyer.

As you say, the paths may be an issue though, Your music needs to be in the exact same directory structure on both devices for them to work seamlessly. Poweramp will try to resolve mismatches when importing (it looks at the filenames and their containing folders, and tries to match those with its scanned music database) but I don't know if other programs do the same or are more strict about their path matching. Might be worth changing the Linux style path separators ( "/" ) to Windows standard "\" too, but many programs cope with either.

You could try changing the playlist filename to M3U instead of M3U8 (probably won't make a difference though, the contents are still the same).

For most of the playlists that I want to swap between devices, I use relative paths rather than absolute ones. This means that the info defining the files is based from starting at the current directory where the playlist file is stored, rather than giving a full reference to the drive name and any top level folders. You can even use the 'two dots'  ("../") modifier to go up to a parent folder within a path line if you want to keep all your Playlist files in one folder rather than your music's root folder.

Andre

Ok, so this is one song for practice.

In the exported m3u8 file it looks like this:

/storage/39384230-2d42-4646-3900-020000000000/Music/Forrest Gump Main Title.mp3

In the wpl file it looks like this:

<?wpl version="1.0"?>
<smil>
    <head>
        <meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Windows Media Player -- 12.0.17763.678"/>
        <meta name="ItemCount" content="1"/>
        <title>forest</title>
    </head>
    <body>
        <seq>
            <media src="..\Forrest Gump Main Title.mp3" tid="{FB0E6CC6-51DB-4433-9E63-66B69E12748A}"/>
        </seq>
    </body>
</smil>

I've tried changing the path in the m3u8 for it to work with Windows Music Player (or VLC), to this:

..\39384230-2d42-4646-3900-020000000000/Music/Forrest Gump Main Title.mp3

Or this:

<media src="..\Forrest Gump Main Title.mp3"

VLC or Windows Media player won't open the playlist

My music is on my D drive on computer (as are the playlists, in a folder called "playlists")

My music on my phone is on my SD card.

I'm obviously doing something really stupid, but can't figure out what. Obviously I have to change the paths in all my playlists, but I'm not doing it right.

I appreciate your help!

I suspect you can lose 39384230-2d42-4646-3900-020000000000 completely on your PC, unless you have a folder named that anyway. It looks like Android's bonkers SD Card naming system gone mad!

If you have your audio files - such as Forrest Gump Main Title.mp3 - stored on your PC in a folder named D:\Music\ , then the text in your M3U playlist to provide an absolute path to that audio file would be:

D:\Music\Forrest Gump Main Title.mp3

If you would prefer to use relative paths (which would make the playlist a bit more portable) then you could use the two-dots path modifier to go back up one directory level (from where the playlist is stored your D:\Playlists\ folder) thus: 

..\Music\Forrest Gump Main Title.mp3

Any further nested folders within your D:\Music\ folder can be used as needed, just as long as you use the same structure that you've used inside the Music folder on your phone's SD Card. 

Andre

On 11/3/2019 at 3:32 AM, andrewilley said:

I suspect you can lose 39384230-2d42-4646-3900-020000000000 completely on your PC, unless you have a folder named that anyway. It looks like Android's bonkers SD Card naming system gone mad!

If you have your audio files - such as Forrest Gump Main Title.mp3 - stored on your PC in a folder named D:\Music\ , then the text in your M3U playlist to provide an absolute path to that audio file would be:

D:\Music\Forrest Gump Main Title.mp3

If you would prefer to use relative paths (which would make the playlist a bit more portable) then you could use the two-dots path modifier to go back up one directory level (from where the playlist is stored your D:\Playlists\ folder) thus: 

..\Music\Forrest Gump Main Title.mp3

Any further nested folders within your D:\Music\ folder can be used as needed, just as long as you use the same structure that you've used inside the Music folder on your phone's SD Card. 

Andre

Good grief this has been a royal pain in the ass, but I finally figured it all out.. (and with the right apps & programs, it's not that hard)

Used app called FPM to convert phone playlists to m3u format (this app is a godsend, btw), put playlists on computer, used notepad to create relative paths, and then windows media player still wouldn't open the files, VLC would open them, but there was no sound (weird), But then I stumbled across MusicBee and wow, this program is wonderful! So screw Windows Media player and VLC...MusicBee is a keeper!

A note to Dev, this should not be so hard!!! I love Poweramp and bought it a long time ago, but in respect to exporting playlists, it is seriously lacking.

Thank you so much for helping me, I'd like to leave this post up for anyone else looking for an easier way to do this.

4 hours ago, JDS said:

ove Poweramp and bought it a long time ago, but in respect to exporting playlists, it is seriously lacking.

Poweramp's Export Playlists feature is really designed more as a backup facility than as a sharing feature.

But the playlists it creates are about the simplest form of M3U(8) file you can get, consisting of just a series of text lines providing the absolute paths to your audio tracks. They do of course rely on the directory structure remaining the same (or at least similar once you get to the music folders level).

There is an app called New Playlist Manager which does a good job of providing a lot more flexibility in handling, saving and managing playlists.

Andre

5 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Poweramp's Export Playlists feature is really designed more as a backup facility than as a sharing feature.

But the playlists it creates are about the simplest form of M3U(8) file you can get, consisting of just a series of text lines providing the absolute paths to your audio tracks. They do of course rely on the directory structure remaining the same (or at least similar once you get to the music folders level).

There is an app called New Playlist Manager which does a good job of providing a lot more flexibility in handling, saving and managing playlists.

Andre

I believe the op refers to fpm which is most likely my app Free Playlist Manager. In terms of .m3u export though both free and paid for app produce .m3u files similar to the Poweramp export.

Ah, yes, I missed the mention of 'FPM'.

As you say though, the M3U export is such a basic format it's hard to get it wrong - other than the issue of absolute paths of course, but hard to see a way round that when music could be anywhere on the device. I guess if every audio file in the Playlist turns out to be on the same storage device that the resulting .M3U file is being written to,  relative paths could be used instead? @maxmp would this be possible? And could the user-defined 'Target Folder' setting for exporting playlists be made sticky by the way, rather than having it return to the default setting every time? 

Andre

On 11/7/2019 at 12:51 AM, andrewilley said:

Ah, yes, I missed the mention of 'FPM'.

As you say though, the M3U export is such a basic format it's hard to get it wrong - other than the issue of absolute paths of course, but hard to see a way round that when music could be anywhere on the device. I guess if every audio file in the Playlist turns out to be on the same storage device that the resulting .M3U file is being written to,  relative paths could be used instead? @maxmp would this be possible? And could the user-defined 'Target Folder' setting for exporting playlists be made sticky by the way, rather than having it return to the default setting every time? 

Andre

Yes, it was the FPM (thank you Dev!)

And apparently, m3u and m3u8 are interpreted completely different on my PC (Win 10). Maybe I don't have the right codecs installed or who knows with Windows 10?

anyway, the ability to have a couple choices in which to export would be nice.. I love Poweramp and in this project, at least I found a couple new apps/programs to love.

Thanks people!

• 3 months later...

Archived