[845] Sound volume issue

cheungie

I am experiencing some volume issue when using my Nokia 8.1 with a DAC cable. The following are the details:

Phone model: Nokia 8.1

DAC cable: Hidizs S3 (Poweramp detects it as SONATA HD AUDIO)

Android version:  10 with Android security patch level at 5 September 2019

Poweramp version : build 845

1) I set Poweramp to use Hi-res output when the DAC cable is plugged in.

2) Play a few songs, bottom of the screen shows I am using 'USB-Audio - Sonata HD Audio 24-Bit 192KHZ'

3) Detach the USB cable, the bottom of the screen shows I am using 'OPENSL ES OUTPUT 16-bit 48KHZ'

4) Do not change the sound volume setting

5) Reattach the DAC cable, bottom of the screen shows I am using 'USB-Audio - Sonata HD Audio 24-Bit 192KHZ'. I then play a song. However, the sound volume is lower than before. 

6) Kill Poweramp from the app tray and reopen Poweramp. Sound volume is back to normal.

Not sure if this is a bug or not. Many thanks.

I don't know if this is helps or not but maybe it will. 

When you're listening to music through headphones above a certain volume, you get a warning message about possible hearing damage from high volumes. Depending on device you may get this message more or less frequently. I have a Samsung Galaxy S5. For me, the message only displays the first time after each reboot, that I go above that volume. (I have to reboot my phone to make it show up again.)

If I have the volume that high, then unplug my headphones and plug them back in, my phone will automatically adjust media volume back to a safe volume.

I know this is the case for 3.5mm output, but I'm pretty sure it applies for all other outputs (usb, Bluetooth, etc.) other than the phone's built in speaker.

On 10/23/2019 at 5:45 PM, fyourself said:

I don't know if this is helps or not but maybe it will. 

When you're listening to music through headphones above a certain volume, you get a warning message about possible hearing damage from high volumes. Depending on device you may get this message more or less frequently. I have a Samsung Galaxy S5. For me, the message only displays the first time after each reboot, that I go above that volume. (I have to reboot my phone to make it show up again.)

If I have the volume that high, then unplug my headphones and plug them back in, my phone will automatically adjust media volume back to a safe volume.

I know this is the case for 3.5mm output, but I'm pretty sure it applies for all other outputs (usb, Bluetooth, etc.) other than the phone's built in speaker.

Same issue for me with LG G8 at Android Pie stock. I use a USB DAC with power connected in my car. Volume always drops to 67% every time unplug it in, I have turn it back to 100% manually. Frustrating Android "feature" I guess.

Archived