Playlist sorting improvement

TedSamol

Currently when you apply the album sorting the tracks of an album are sorted by title rather than track#. The same happens with the artist/album sorting. I think it would be better that when you sort a playlist by album or artist/album the sorting respects the track# of the songs.

So an album that looks like this:

1. Charlie

2. Beta

3. Alpha

Will look like that when sorted in a playlist instead of looking like this:

3. Alpha

2. Beta

1. Charlie

Playlists do not have any album structure per se, they can contain songs from anywhere. Thus re-sorting a playlist can give somewhat random results. There may be one or more songs from any given album, so defaulting to sorting by Track# would be a bit odd. Perhaps Max could add an extra option to the list for 'Album/Track#' ?

Andre

Thanks for your interest in my request Andre. I think I need to clarify my point a bit. I believe that if someone wants a playlist re-sorted by album or artist/album the tracks of the album must be sorted with the album's original order, rather than by their title. I don't mean that all playlists should be sorted like that by default nor that all the tracks in the playlist should be sorted by track number. Only the playlists that the user chooses to re-sort by album or artist/album. Max must have already thought of that because when you select an album and add it to a playlist the tracks are added in number sort rather than title sort. I don't mind a separate option (e.g. album/track# and artist/album/track#), after all someone might prefer the current sorting method. I just pointed it out because it seems to me that this should be the default behavior.

5 hours ago, TedSamol said:

Max must have already thought of that because when you select an album and add it to a playlist the tracks are added in number sort rather than title sort. I don't mind a separate option (e.g. album/track# and artist/album/track#),

Inserting an album into a playlist is performed using whatever specific List Options setting is in place when you carry out the action. So if you have the songs level set to be sorted by Track#, that's the way the songs will get added to a playlist too.

Yes, a separate new option in the Re-Sort Playlist menu is what I was suggesting too.

Andre

Archived