Migrating v3.0 to new phone - any tips or links?

watersport203

Haven't been on this forum since I last migrated my Poweramp v2 with 10,000 songs, ratings, and playlists to a new phone 3 years ago which took an enormous amount of time and was very frustrating. I recall using playlist manager to get my playlists moved. Going to v3 I lost all of my 1-5 star ratings which were somehow reduced to FAVORITES or not, not exactly what I had hoped for but I have adjusted.

Hoping that v3 migrates far easier and that there are ways to preserve all of the tagging I have done.

1- Can anyone provide any updated info or a LINK on the easiest way to move from one phone to another? (Most of my songs are on a micro SD which I would like to either move to the new phone or copy to another SD Card and install)

2- Can anyone tell me if the FAVORITE info is maintained in the ID3 tags or is it hidden away only in a Poweramp proprietary database as before?

You can export Poweramp Settings and all the playlists (though, not tracks- this should be handled separately). The only information that will be lost now is ratings.

(And as it's not possible to reliable store ratings in the tracks, there is a planned solution for the future Poweramp builds to migrate ratings separately). Thanks!

#flyingdutchman and #maxmp; thank you for your responses. Will try and post results here.

One question comes up - in version 2.xx the ratings were maintained as 1-5 stars. v3.xx seems to maintain THUMBS UP/DOWN but not the STARS. Is that correct or is there a setting that would show the prior STAR based ratings?

1 hour ago, watersport203 said:

#flyingdutchman and #maxmp; thank you for your responses. Will try and post results here.

One question comes up - in version 2.xx the ratings were maintained as 1-5 stars. v3.xx seems to maintain THUMBS UP/DOWN but not the STARS. Is that correct or is there a setting that would show the prior STAR based ratings?

That would be Settings > Look and Feel > Player UI > Rating Type

2 hours ago, invaderzim said:

That would be Settings > Look and Feel > Player UI > Rating Type

The ratings are still stored internally the same way as before. Whether you choose to display them as regular 0-5 stars, or thumbsup (5-stars) / thumbsdown (1 star) is up to you. 

Andre

• 3 months later...

The answer used to be no, as Poweramp would see the files on the new SD Card as 'new' audio files (as their path is different) and also assume that the original files have been deleted. I know Max has done a fair bit of work in that area to preserve things like Playlists (which would also be wiped by changing SD Card) but I'm not 100% sure whether ratings work the same way. As a precaution, I would back up playlists and ratings using something like New Playlist Manager before you do the swap-over.,

Andre

image.thumb.png.d6ce5b6ff08e49e626d1f60b75382e19.pngAndre, Thank you for that!  Will do and let you know how Poweramp handles the SD Card upgrade.

UPDATE: Thanks Andre - the following step by step worked incredibly well. Whew - what a relief!!!!!

1- Before moving to new SDCARD,

a. As a precaution I exported all playlists using PA 3.0 and I also exported all settings, verifying that I had the output files as a backup in case my database got wiped out.

b. Using Playlist Manager exported all Poweramp ratings, verifying that I had the output file.

2- Copied old 128GB SDCARD to new 512GB SDCARD and installed the new 512GB SDCARD

a. In /SETTINGS/LIBRARY/PLAYLIST I selected the option "RESOLVE PLAYLIST ENTRIES"

b. In /SETTINGS/LIBRARY/PLAYLIST I selected the option "FULL RESCAN"

All playlist and settings were preserved with the exception of my 1-5 star RATINGS.

3- Using Playlist Manager IMPORTED all Poweramp ratings, which quickly restored 1,000s of songs I had rated with 1 to 5 stars!!!!!

Archived