Poweramp Builds 842-853

maxmp

So, i'm in beta testing program for Poweramp, and the last one or two updates seem to overload my phone like crazy. I'm just launching one track - any track - and by the end of it my phone is burning hot, playing CoD doesn't get that much heat that fast. My usage of the player is quite sporadic so i'm not sure if it's the latest version or the previous one, but this issue definitely wasn't present a week or two before. Xiaomi Redmi 7 Pro, MIUI 10.3.6, no software updates since forever so conflict with that is unlikely. Build version is... 852, i assume, it's updating automatically. Any idea why that could start happening, all of a sudden?
One more funny thing - if the music isn't playing but the app itself is launched - it's fine, something with the playback process itself?...

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/1/2019 at 3:39 PM, twinextralong said:

Since the latest update (on an LG G7 running stock Android 9), any time I add an album to the queue from the search screen, it goes into the queue in alphabetical order by track name, rather than track number, as was normal before. If I add from the albums screen, it goes into the queue fine, but anything from the search menu is out of order. Previously I had this problem only with compilation albums (I had to choose to list albums by name rather than artist for them to add to the queue correctly), but now all albums are affected, and changing the view order for albums has not changed anything.

I'm still having this issue after a couple more updates. Is there a new setting I'm not finding?

I think the zereod out playlist bug is back after the last update related to the playlists.  I was syncing from Musicbee while on a playlist and then it conflicted during media scanning and then the playlist was cleared out.   I had to resync again to get it back only to lose songs out of another while on that one.  So it took a third resync to fix that.

3 hours ago, hypomaniac-eric said:

I think the zereod out playlist bug is back after the last update related to the playlists.  I was syncing from Musicbee while on a playlist and then it conflicted during media scanning and then the playlist was cleared out.  

Have you checked the relevant options in Settings > Library > Playlists? (especially 'Resolve Playlist Entries', which should be turned OFF to prevent this happening during automatic scans).

Andre

13 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Have you checked the relevant options in Settings > Library > Playlists? (especially 'Resolve Playlist Entries', which should be turned OFF to prevent this happening during automatic scans).

Andre

don't remember but i did click the dots at the top right of the playlist to rescan right away.   so that maybe what caused it. 

3 hours ago, hypomaniac-eric said:

still keep having problems syncing and resycning a playlist.  Either corrupts it to where only the first song plays no matter what song you click on.   Or now it just skips through all the songs saying the file is not found or whatever.   It's getting real annoying.   

The problem is probably that the locations of the files on your storage may have changed for some reason. Re-inserting an SD Card can cause Android to rename it for example, or perhaps you've renamed or moved some folders? Whatever the reason, Poweramp then has to treat any files it finds in that storage location as 'new' items, rather than old files which happen to have the same names as ones that are listed in old playlists.

Setting the options to disable Resolve Playlist Entries will cause Poweramp to keep any old links in your playlists - even if those files are no longer to be found where it is expecting them. This is useful if a filesystem change is temporary (for example storage that has not yet been mounted when PA does its scan). Then when the temporarily missing files subsequently re-appear, Poweramp will be be able to find and play them from a playlist. However if the files have been permanently moved, all you are going to end up with is a playlist full of paths and names that go nowhere - which is when you would see 'Can't play file / file not found' messages.

Go into one of your playlists in the Library and find one of the entries that does not play. Long-press it, and view Info/Tags. That will tell you the full path where PA is expecting to find the audio file. Is that the exact same path and location as a file explorer shows?

Andre

I don't know if it has been reported, I'm on latest beta and the Poweramp notification is gone. Everything is working well except that no Poweramp notification is shown. I tried changing notification type to legacy, etc but no luck. I'm running stock Android P on an Asus Zenfone 6. 

On 11/12/2019 at 2:58 AM, andrewilley said:

The problem is probably that the locations of the files on your storage may have changed for some reason. Re-inserting an SD Card can cause Android to rename it for example, or perhaps you've renamed or moved some folders? Whatever the reason, Poweramp then has to treat any files it finds in that storage location as 'new' items, rather than old files which happen to have the same names as ones that are listed in old playlists.

Setting the options to disable Resolve Playlist Entries will cause Poweramp to keep any old links in your playlists - even if those files are no longer to be found where it is expecting them. This is useful if a filesystem change is temporary (for example storage that has not yet been mounted when PA does its scan). Then when the temporarily missing files subsequently re-appear, Poweramp will be be able to find and play them from a playlist. However if the files have been permanently moved, all you are going to end up with is a playlist full of paths and names that go nowhere - which is when you would see 'Can't play file / file not found' messages.

Go into one of your playlists in the Library and find one of the entries that does not play. Long-press it, and view Info/Tags. That will tell you the full path where PA is expecting to find the audio file. Is that the exact same path and location as a file explorer shows?

Andre

I didn't move anything or remove the card.  I deleted a few songs as i was having problems with Poweramp not reading the id3 tags correctly so i had to clear the tags with mp3tag and redo the tags.   then resync but everything on at that playlist was getting jacked.   And it happened on a different playlist too.   After a few resyncs things settle down.  It was not doing this before the update.

The cue + click restarts track (off) issues are fixed, thanks!

Could you please implement some kind of album art scaler? The cover art render quality is quite low. I've made screen comparison below:

(click image for actual quality comparison) (Screenshots taken directly from Poweramp @24bit RBG, F-Stop Gallery and Neutron.)

1027378696_visualcomparison.thumb.png.0adf1ae3d6ec10e980c82cf9478df16a.png

On 11/13/2019 at 9:08 PM, hypomaniac-eric said:

I didn't move anything or remove the card.  I deleted a few songs as i was having problems with Poweramp not reading the id3 tags correctly so i had to clear the tags with mp3tag and redo the tags.   then resync but everything on at that playlist was getting jacked.   And it happened on a different playlist too.   After a few resyncs things settle down.  It was not doing this before the update.

I just synced my music again and now the playlist I was on and listening to, during the sync, will only play the first song no matter which song i click on.   But if i use the forward or back arrows it will advance to other songs.   But as soon as i click on a song it goes back to the first song.   I'm getting mad about this.   I now hate the first on on the playlist after being forced to listen to it everytime i go to a song I want to listen too.  Once again I had to resync the music while parked on a different playlist.    Please @maxmp can you look into this.    

On 11/13/2019 at 10:34 PM, djdarko said:

...art scaler?

One thing I just wanted to add - if this is all memory related, an improvise might be to load the art as it currently is, but re-render/re-draw the art in higher quality when the track is playing more than say 5 seconds?

On 11/17/2019 at 2:38 AM, hypomaniac-eric said:

I just synced my music again and now the playlist I was on and listening to, during the sync, will only play the first song no matter which song i click on.   But if i use the forward or back arrows it will advance to other songs.   But as soon as i click on a song it goes back to the first song.   I'm getting mad about this.   I now hate the first on on the playlist after being forced to listen to it everytime i go to a song I want to listen too.  Once again I had to resync the music while parked on a different playlist.    Please @maxmp can you look into this.    

Have you tried exporting your playlists to see where the file links are pointing to, and then check to see that the songs in the database are the same?

Andre

Running v. 853 on a Galaxy Note 9 (stock Pie-based ROM) and have had several instances of PA starting to play again for no apparent reason. The first time I noticed was on getting home after everyone else had gone to bed and it starting up loudly when I got into my house. In the car it had been on 'shuffle all songs' but I hit the pause button before I got out and switched to my phones home screen - no PA app or widget there. I swapped cases in the house and it was then it started to play.

But it's also done it when my phone is on silent and I only notice when I pull the notification bar down. Not seen anything to suggest why it is playing for no reason. Only things I can think of are a) the Note 9 has a Bixby button which is easy to press when getting out of your pocket BUT I have turned off all Bixby stuff in the settings and used an app to remap that bhutton so that the only thing it does is turn the flashlight on/off with a long press and b) this did not happen with previous versions of PA (I usually install all betas when they come out) on this or any other phone I've used it on.

So, my question is, what am I doing wrong ... 

I have the v3-build-853, Mi 8 Lite with Pixel Experience ROM installed.

Poweramp is installed and working fine except for I don't have any widgets installed. Has anyone had this problem and know of a fix. 

Solved...turns out the app was located on Internal storage and all I had to do was to move it to external and it appeared...

cheers

col

On my phone (Samsung Galaxy S9+, Exynos variant) the MusicFX button doesn't change the sound at all. I noticed that to use system sound settings (Dolby Atmos, tone controls etc.) I have to disable DVC. However when DVC is disabled then system sound settings are in effect regardless of the state of the MusicFX button - pressing the button doesn't change the sound. Similarly, when DVC is on, the system sound settings don't work and it doesn't matter if the MusicFX is on or off.

Currently the only useful function of this button is opening system sound settings after a long press.

Would it be possible to fix it so the button actually works - or if it cannot be fixed - so the button is disabled in certain situations?

Device-specific modifications in the audio chain (Dolby Atmos. etc) are generally bypassed when you use DVC - in fact, that's partly the point, to keep audio processing under Poweramp's control. To use system audio mods, you usually need to disable DVC, and then you'd need to control their operation via the device's interface. When you enable the MusicFX button via Settings > Advanced Tweaks, you should see a warning that the results can be unpredictable.

Andre

12 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

Device-specific modifications in the audio chain (Dolby Atmos. etc) are generally bypassed when you use DVC - in fact, that's partly the point, to keep audio processing under Poweramp's control. To use system audio mods, you usually need to disable DVC, and then you'd need to control their operation via the device's interface. When you enable the MusicFX button via Settings > Advanced Tweaks, you should see a warning that the results can be unpredictable.

Andre

OK, I understand - but then the UI is somewhat erratic:

1. I can enable the button regardless of the DVC state even if we know that the system sound settings won't work with DVC.
  2. Regardless of the DVC state, switching the button on or off doesn't change anything.

I see three ways of fixing UI behaviour:

1. The easiest way of fix would be to replace the MusicFX button with a link to system sound settings. The link should work when DVC is off, when DVC is on the link should be greyed out. The link itself could be activated from within the settings (as it is the case with the MusicFX button now).
  2. The more complicated way of fix would be to disable (grey out) the button when DVCis on and enable the button only when the DVC is off - and making it actually switch the system sound settings on or off (if it can be done - I don't know).
  3. The third way of fixing it would be to change the button function from "enable or disable system sound settings" (that doesn't work anyway) with "shortcut to enable or disable DVC from within UI". Then if DVC is off, long pressing the button would take user to the system sound settings. If DVC is on, long press would not work or inform a user that system sound setting won't have any effect unless DVC is off.

I think any of the options above would make Poweramp's UI slightly more coherent - I would prefer option 3. 🙂

On 11/18/2019 at 5:06 AM, andrewilley said:

Have you tried exporting your playlists to see where the file links are pointing to, and then check to see that the songs in the database are the same?

Andre

Not yet.   I will look into it.   open it in a text editor on the phone?   I am thinking Poweramp must be conflicting with musicbee trying to sync and jacking up the playlist that is in use.   both trying to use the file at the same time in other words.  

Archived