Ignore articles like “A” and “The” in the All Songs list sorted by Title

Robert H2

It would be really great to ignore articles like “A” and “The” in the All Songs list when it is sorted by Title. This was the reason I bought Poweramp in the first place since this was implement for Artists and Albums. 

I have 5,000 songs and they contain 58 "A" and 326 "The" in the All Songs list.

I really love Poweramp and hope this can be done... Thank you for your consideration!

3 hours ago, Robert H2 said:

How is that accomplished?

PA is solely Max's project so it's up to him what features he decides to add. The more people who ask for something in these Feature Request forums though, the more likely it would be that he'd plan to do it. It has been mentioned before, but not exactly with a high priority.

Andre

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@maxmp Any thoughts on this? It would seem very a useful and sensible thing to extend the use of the current article-ignoring sort algorithm to incorporate Title sorting as well as the existing Album/Artist/Composer/etc sorting modes.

While you are in there, might I suggest that leading bracketed portions of song names could be similarly ignored for sorting purposes, as technically correct song titles such as "(Feels Like) Heaven" and "(I've Had) The Time of My Life" and "(There's) Always Something There to Remind Me" should presumably be sorted under 'Heaven', 'Time', and 'Always' - or at the very least the leading bracket should be ignored so they don't all appear right at the start of the list, before even numeric-digit titles.

None of the above should apply to path/filename sorting though, that should remain as simple ASCII.

Andre

6 hours ago, andrewilley said:

@maxmp Any thoughts on this? It would seem very a useful and sensible thing to extend the use of the current article-ignoring sort algorithm to incorporate Title sorting as well as the existing Album/Artist/Composer/etc sorting modes.

While you are in there, might I suggest that leading bracketed portions of song names could be similarly ignored for sorting purposes, as technically correct song titles such as "(Feels Like) Heaven" and "(I've Had) The Time of My Life" and "(There's) Always Something There to Remind Me" should presumably be sorted under 'Heaven', 'Time', and 'Always' - or at the very least the leading bracket should be ignored so they don't all appear right at the start of the list, before even numeric-digit titles.

None of the above should apply to path/filename sorting though, that should remain as simple ASCII.

Andre

This is something easily done by using the sort tags as well, as that is specifically their purpose. Keep the standard tag as is, sorted by any means you desire. Useful for track, artist, album artist, album, and composer tags.😁

There are lots of newer tags that have started to be supported on some platforms and some tagging formats over the past few years - such as ID3 tags like TSOT (Title sort order), TSOA (Album sort order) and TSOP (Performer sort order). If they are present (and at present they are not that common, I don't have a single one in my entire library for example) they could indeed be useful in this case scenario, and also in cases where the original content wording is in non-Latin encoding, and is thus harder to sort using the traditional fields.

I don't know if Max has any plans to read these new tags into PA's library, but it would certainly resolve issues like this one.   

Andre

Archived