Poweramp
Sign in to follow this  
code

Volume keys with an external USB DAC

Hello,

I'm using PA 3 with my HTC 10 (internal Hi-Res DAC), to which sometimes I connect an external USB DAC/AMP (iBasso D-Zero mkii).

Everything seems to work fine: the external DAC device is recognized by PA, with the correct parameters (24 bit - 96kHz).

There is one thing that isn't clear to me: when using the external DAC, the volume can still be managed by the volume up/down keys of my smartphone,

while I expect that this shouldn't happens, since the digital output is passed to the external device that should do all the work (DAC + AMP + Volume).

With my other players (Neutron and UAPP), when using an external DAC, the volumes keys on the smartphone do nothing, the volume can only be managed by the external device. 

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Stefano

really? 🤔

nobody knows if Poweramp actually use the external DACs connected to USB? 

Volume keys as you noticed, work with USB as volume control is implemented by Android. As for other players (esp. using custom USB audio implementation) - I can’t comment - please ask on appropriate app forum. Thanks! 

sorry maxmp, I don't undestand your answer, or maybe my answer is badly written. 

When an external DAC is connected via USB, Poweramp bypass the internal DAC of the smartphone? or the internal DAC is used in any case? 

Said in different words: is worth buying an external DAC to improve the sound quality, if I use Poweramp as my favourite player?