Google commands

Jskid

Hi, I love the style and usability of the app, but I'm having an issue using it with Google assistant. When I ask it to play an album, it will play the first alphabetical track, then switch to the next alphabetical track in my overall library, rather than starting w track one of the album and proceeding accordingly. Ie, "play Appetite for Destruction" starts w Anything Goes then goes to Anytime Anyplace by the who.rather than starting w Welcome to the Jungle. I would like to upgrade to the full app, but won't if I cant solve this. Thanks!

Seems to work OK for me (Samsung Galaxy A70, Android 9).

For example, I say "OK Google" and then "Play album Arrival". This causes Google to respond "Sure, asking Poweramp to play Arrival" and PA then starts playing in 'Album' mode, playing the first track in the ABBA album "Arrival" (Shuffle mode gets turned off, even if it had previously been on). PA continues to play the following tracks in the same album, sorted by whatever List Options order I had already got set up for the Albums category songs list (in my case By Filename). At the end of that album, it continues on to the next album in order - again, which one that is depends on your chosen Sort Order for the Albums category. To check or change your sort order for album songs, when playing an album track tap on the cover art and then (when you see the songs list) tap the three-dots icon in the upper-right of the list and see what List Options shows you. 

Andre

I think this is to do with Google not Poweramp? It seems Google has a problem with some songs if they are in an album that has the same title as the song, just tested it now:

First test (Album name: Master of Puppets)(Metallica) -  has a song called Master of Puppets in there

"Play the album Master of Puppets"

Sorry, something went wrong. Please try opening the app to continue.

"Play Master of Puppets"  (I left the words the album out)

*Plays the song Master of Puppets* (Second song on the album)

Second Test (Album name: Ride the Lightning)(Metallica) - has a song called Ride the Lightning in there

"Play the Album Ride the Lightning"

Sure asking...etc, but never plays and never even opens Poweramp

"Play Ride the Lightning" (I left the words the album out again)

*Plays the second last song on the album, always, tested it 4 times it played the second last song each time)

Third Test (Album name:Fallen)(Evanescense) -does NOT have a song called fallen in there

Play the Album Fallen"

Alright asking...etc

*Opens Poweramp, plays the album perfectly from the first song*

Also Tested Albums:

Perpetual Burn (Jason Becker)  - has a song called Perpetual Burn in there - Nope won't play or open PA

Mother Earth (Within Temptation) - has a song called Mother Earth in there - Nope won't play or open PA

Paranoid (Black Sabbath) - does not have a song called Paranoid in there) Opens and plays fine from the start

Tales From the Elvenpath (Nightwish) - does not have a song called Paranoid in there) Opens and plays fine from the start

Legend (Clannad) - does not have a song called Paranoid in there) Opens and plays fine from the start ~(although Assistant identifies it as some bob marley crap it still plays the right one from Clannad)

And around 12 other albums with similar results but ye probably got tired of reading so I'll spare ye the results

PS : So basically the majority of my errors were when the album had a song of the same name in it -but of course could be coincidental...One album out of all tests was

different, The album "Love" by The Cult - Has a song called Love in it, Played perfectly and from the start, no errors, but the only one out of around 20 albums tested

PPS: My bold texts aren't complaining or anything, just  making them stand out to be easier to read quickly......and the fact I  realised  we could make stuffs bold!

1 hour ago, Nightshade Ghostaltar said:

It seems Google has a problem with some songs if they are in an album that has the same title as the song, just tested it now:

That's why I tried "Arrival", as it's a simple title which is both an Album title and also a song within that album. I didn't use any articles though, I just said "Play Album Arrival".

But I'm sure it varies between Android versions.

Oh, and I don't have any of my songs logged in Android's system music database (I have a .nomedia flag in the root of my music directory) so Android must be passing the specific instructions over to Poweramp without trying to interpret it much.

Andre

I too experience the "something went wrong..." probably at least half the time I try to use voice commands. Mostly when I'm in the car and my Queue comes to and end and I can't mess with my phone because I'm driving. I then have to wait until I can safely stop the car. Then I can clear the Queue and repopulate with a new set of albums for continued listening pleasure.

57 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

I didn't know you could access the Queue with Google voice commands?

Andre

As far as I know you cannot access the Queue with voice commands, but you can "Hey Google, play album Harvest"... It always says something like "asking Poweramp to play Harvest" and most of the time get "something went wrong...", but occasionally it will work. Doesn't add it to the Queue, but when it works the album will play.

36 minutes ago, w3wilkes said:

"Hey Google, play album Harvest"... 

Yes, that's the command I use and it seems to work fine for me (well, as long as Google interprets all the words properly).

[Edit: actually, the more times I try it, the more often I get the same "something went wrong" message as you - even sometimes when the display shows the correct album title and lists Poweramp as the app, so it should have worked. It seems more reliable on single word titles]

Andre

On 7/22/2019 at 8:48 AM, Nightshade Ghostaltar said:

I think this is to do with Google not Poweramp? It seems Google has a problem with some songs if they are in an album that has the same title as the song, just tested it now:

First test (Album name: Master of Puppets)(Metallica) -  has a song called Master of Puppets in there

"Play the album Master of Puppets"

Sorry, something went wrong. Please try opening the app to continue.

"Play Master of Puppets"  (I left the words the album out)

*Plays the song Master of Puppets* (Second song on the album)

Second Test (Album name: Ride the Lightning)(Metallica) - has a song called Ride the Lightning in there

"Play the Album Ride the Lightning"

Sure asking...etc, but never plays and never even opens Poweramp

"Play Ride the Lightning" (I left the words the album out again)

*Plays the second last song on the album, always, tested it 4 times it played the second last song each time)

Third Test (Album name:Fallen)(Evanescense) -does NOT have a song called fallen in there

Play the Album Fallen"

Alright asking...etc

*Opens Poweramp, plays the album perfectly from the first song*

Also Tested Albums:

Perpetual Burn (Jason Becker)  - has a song called Perpetual Burn in there - Nope won't play or open PA

Mother Earth (Within Temptation) - has a song called Mother Earth in there - Nope won't play or open PA

Paranoid (Black Sabbath) - does not have a song called Paranoid in there) Opens and plays fine from the start

Tales From the Elvenpath (Nightwish) - does not have a song called Paranoid in there) Opens and plays fine from the start

Legend (Clannad) - does not have a song called Paranoid in there) Opens and plays fine from the start ~(although Assistant identifies it as some bob marley crap it still plays the right one from Clannad)

And around 12 other albums with similar results but ye probably got tired of reading so I'll spare ye the results

PS : So basically the majority of my errors were when the album had a song of the same name in it -but of course could be coincidental...One album out of all tests was

different, The album "Love" by The Cult - Has a song called Love in it, Played perfectly and from the start, no errors, but the only one out of around 20 albums tested

PPS: My bold texts aren't complaining or anything, just  making them stand out to be easier to read quickly......and the fact I  realised  we could make stuffs bold!

I see the same behavior and created a thread about it a couple of months ago.  I gave up on using Google Assistant to play music.  I cue up what I want to listen to before I start driving.  The idea of voice commands to play music is really cool but it doesn't work for me.  The way it will play a song randomly within the requested album is strange.

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S7 running whatever the latest version of android is for that particular phone.

• 2 years later...

Folks does this still work for you?

"Ok Google play album harvest"

Opens in YouTube every time. I've deselected YouTube as a provider. I've added "play" as an app shortcut for Poweramp. I don't seem to be able to add Poweramp as a provider. Anything I'm missing?

Cheers.

• 5 months later...

Thanks for this Andre.

It said "sure, asking Poweramp to play [album] by [artist]", has a touch prompt with 2 options, one with the name of the album, and one asking to open Poweramp (kinda). I did nothing (much of the point of this is to be able to do it hands free) and it opened '98 Freestyle by Big L, which might be the first track by track name ('98) though I'm not sure. And it didn't play it, just opened Poweramp (which had been open but paused in the background).

Tried again, clicked first option, it opened [trackname] which is the same as [album], but by a different artist (asked for Olympia by Gorgon City, got Olympia (track) by Sundara Karma. Also didn't play).

Tried the second option, worked the same as the first.

Tried "play Olympia album by Gorgon City in Poweramp", same result as before. If I click the second option "open Poweramp", it opens Olympia by Sundara Karma and plays it. Maybe because it was already open though.

Let's try something unambiguous.

"sure, opening Harvest by Neil Young in Poweramp....  ....  .... something went wrong. Please try opening the app to continue"

Closed google assistant & Poweramp. Trying again.

"ok, asking Poweramp to play Harvest by Neil Young"

I have to click the top option, goes to Harvest (song) from Harvest (album) by Neil Young. I have to click play.

Let's try again.

Turns out the first option isn't an option it's a title bar. One has to click the "open Poweramp" each time.

Trying OK Computer by Radiohead. 3rd try, opened Poweramp. Harvest by Neil Young continues.

Looks like it doesn't like albums, maybe tracks only.

Paranoid Android by Radiohead: played the second version of the song (heads on the radio, live & bootlegs) rather than the first version in the list, from OK computer. Illogical. List seems to be tracks ordered by name, all from the same artist.

"play the album OK computer in Poweramp": something went wrong. (repeated, does the same every time, even though it knows it's al album by Radiohead even if I don't say album nor Radiohead. If I then click on 'open the app', it continues playing the previous song (paranoid android bootleg).

Ok, giving up. I presume this is google assistant's fault?

That pop-up message should only remain on the screen while Google Assistant is vocally confirming the command - e.g. "OK, asking Poweramp to play Albatross" - and then PA should be launched and start playing. If you press Back to exit PA, you will see the same Google launcher screen again.

image.png

Google Assistant is very much dependent on the versions of Android/Google/etc though. My tests were on Samsung Galaxy A70, Android 11, and the latest version of Google app. I don't use the extra Google Assistant app by the way, just the native stuff provided in the Google app.

Andre

Cheers Andre.

Interesting, seems like something may be screwy on my system then. Tried "ok google, play Albatross in Poweramp" and had the expected "got it, asking Poweramp to play albatross", shows the same screen above, gives me the first guitar note, then stops. Screen is where it was previously (Ocean Colour Scene) with Albatross paused at 0 seconds in the bottom taskbar. If I hit that and press play, it resumes from after the first note. I'll give it a restart and see what happens.

After reboot: opens PA on Albatross but doesn't play. This is on an Asus ZenFone6, Android 11, latest version of Google app (I presume, I keep up updated), and no extra app.

Edited by dez93_2000