No currently playing track info on Android Auto car display

loopfish

Hi,

Since upgrading my phone to a Galaxy S10 from a Moto G6, I no longer see ANY track info about the currently playing track on my car display in Android Auto mode. Nothing. No filename, artist, track - nothing. And if I return to the parent list, it doesn't indicate what the currently playing track is either.

Help! Paid for pro version and expected better.

Thanks,

Sam

Wow, you're lucky, I never get to see any songs lists at all, either in Android Auto or Bluetooth, just basic track info and (sometimes, but in Android Auto mode only) cover artwork. It all depends on the car manufacturer's implementation I guess (mine is Hyundai).

Andre

well, it did used to show the currently playing track when I had a cheap ol Moto G6! Car is a 2016 Skoda.

So where do I go from here? I can't see any updates for the car head unit, the phone is fully up to date, and of course I'm using the latest Poweramp...

5 minutes ago, loopfish said:

So where do I go from here? I can't see any updates for the car head unit, the phone is fully up to date, and of course I'm using the latest Poweramp...

... and you wouldn't change your car either :)

42 minutes ago, loopfish said:

well, it did used to show the currently playing track when I had a cheap ol Moto G6! Car is a 2016 Skoda.

Does it still work on latest PA (build 838) on the Moto? That would eliminate anything occurring in a PA update to cause this anyway.

It's worth checking the metadata info in Settings > Headset/Bluetooth. And does it still work via regular Bluetooth from your new phone (i.e. not using Android Auto). If not, it might be worth checking the android Bluetooth AVRCP setting (Android Settings > Developer Options), could be worth trying version 1.3 if the more modern ones are not working for you.

Andre

Update: I noticed that v836 on the Moto G6 was the 32-bit version - the S10 had v868 64-bit, so I tried the exact same version on the S10; v836 32-bit, from APK Mirrors, and a track info was actually displayed - but it never changed when I changed tracks - it was stuck on the one single track! This is very frustrating. Want to use Media Monkey but I can't get that to support my Folders in AA at all!

Do you use just BT or some Android Auto implementation? Android Auto UI is rendered by the phone and sent to car unit as compressed video (thus, there are almost no unit specifics/incompatibilities and issue, if exists, can be easily reproduced in an emulator). If this is just a BT connection, then unit may fail to display info, but it should fail for all Android players, as Poweramp and all other players use the same component to send info (MediaSession) which is system provided.

For these BT incompatibility, there is a long (many many years) known Android bug when ACRCP (protocol to send track meta info) sometimes is not activated after first pairing or after ROM upgrade. Re-pairing (unpair + pairing) the device solves this until the next ROM update.

Thanks! 

16 minutes ago, maxmp said:

Android Auto UI is rendered by the phone and sent to car unit as compressed video (thus, there are almost no unit specifics/incompatibilities and issue, if exists, can be easily reproduced in an emulator).

I actually did not know that. If the whole display is created internally by PA then, a few minor suggestions to make the interface more in keeping with PA generally:

• Could the blue progress bar be larger and with a far more prominent current-position indicator thumb (ideally movable with your finger) as it's hardly visible at present. Including two counter items, for current position and total running time, would be great too.
  • Could the >| and |< buttons respond to long-presses, providing Fast-forward and Rewind functionality.
  • Could you add an option to display <<< and >>> (previous and next category) 'pro style' buttons too? I know that would make the other control buttons a little smaller, but on any decent sized car screen that would still be fine (and it would be an option anyway, rather than forced on people). 

Andre

Hello to all. I have the same problem as loopfish. I just switch from Samsung S8 to S10 and no info is shown on display only when Poweramp is playing. That doesnt happen for Spotify or Google Music. Also noticed that while on Maps, and song changes, there is a notification that shows album cover and idtag, also on main screen of android auto, but not on Poweramp main screen. By the way it is USB Cable connection to my headunit. I am running updated app. So if other player have no problem to show idtags and album cover, why does it happens with Poweramp? Maybe someone can help in here. If more info is needed, just ask.

Main Poweramp Screen

01.jpg.b23afdff54e3f753827afb40b688d892.jpg

Album Search

02.jpg.af623804ed8435d5fdc5a348df5f7539.jpg

Main Android Auto Screen (Album cover and metadata shown)

04.jpg.a7bf5579dbf42abd96f2f0d05ce8a9c5.jpg

Notification while on Maps (Album cover + Metadata)

03.jpg.7593dea0f2f568fabc898d9ee0ac9e51.jpg

Google Music (Same S10)

05.jpg.3009f0e344bbbf9558210ffff4533cd6.jpg

Spotify (Same S10)

06.jpg.d2b73c62e7f5ca122e319df45ceb1e16.jpg

Thank you 

Juan Carlos

@jcquino thanks for the report. Unfortunately, I don't think this is related to Poweramp (btw, what build do you use?) or it's ability to send track info. It 100% sends it, but some bug in Auto prevents it from showing.

Does this happen for specific tracks? May be it's related to album art image. Please share such track via player then (long press in list / Send / Gmail / gpmaxmpz@gmail.com).

Also what is your Auto version (in Auto App / Settings / About)? Thanks!

Poweramp build is 838 and Unlocker 301

Android Auto is 4.4.592344

This happens for all files, flac and mp3

I used it with no problem with my Samsung s8 last week. Now that i changed my phone the bug appeared. For me it is something between Poweramp and Samsung Galaxy S10. Also both Samsung are with same Android 9. Tomorrow i will try with S8 to discard things 

Cheers 

Hi, I'm having the exact same issue with my s10 running the same version of software and unlocker. I'm also connecting my handset to my AA header unit (2018 l200 barbarian) via USB. Are their any updates to this issue . Also my previous handset Sony xz1 was working fine.

I just tried with my previous phone (S8) and it worked perfect, everything was displayed. I played Two track, one was HiRes flac and the other a flac. Android Auto and Poweramp were just installed, so both are lastest version for this trial. Only thing i had to do was to enable developer options at AA and  unknwon resources. 

This are the same files i send to Max for testing. 

Now i am sure this is an S10 issue 

Cheers 

I can confirm that my Galaxy A70 (which is a newer device than the S10) works fine with Android Auto and displaying tags too. Sometimes the album art does not show up, but I haven't worked out why (it seems to be random, not related to any specific song)

Andre

• 3 weeks later...

Archived