Changing sampling rate automatically by source sample rate

Poweramp is a great music player and the audio quality is outstanding. But if there's a automatic sampling rate adjust being introduced to the app , it will be even better. That's adjusting the sampling rate of the Hi-res output accordingly to source file, in order to bypass all the sampling rate conversion. For example, I am having a 44.1Khz song and the next one is 96Khz Hi-res. Everytime I have to manually change the sampling rate inside Hi-res tab, not to mentioned that config is deep in the menu and you need some time to locate it. Other music players such as Usb Audio Player Pro has this feature implemented, too. I not saying the amp is bad in comparison to that player, the user interface and animation is way better, but mostly the audio quality and convenience to use is much more important, right? 

Max has said on multiple occasions that while this would be technically possible, it would cause a lot of other issues such as noise/glitches between tracks, breaking crossfade and gapless playback, etc. Also remember that not all frequency/bitrate combinations are available on all devices, so it might have to just choose the closest match anyway. 

His suggestion was that you use the highest rate that you have files for (and that your device supports) and let PA upsample any lower res tracks.

Andre

• 1 year later...
On 7/11/2019 at 1:11 PM, andrewilley said:

Max has said on multiple occasions that while this would be technically possible, it would cause a lot of other issues such as noise/glitches between tracks, breaking crossfade and gapless playback, etc. Also remember that not all frequency/bitrate combinations are available on all devices, so it might have to just choose the closest match anyway. 

His suggestion was that you use the highest rate that you have files for (and that your device supports) and let PA upsample any lower res tracks.

Andre

Actually I agree but, mobiles are quite capable these days and users should atleast have an option for automatic switching and they can be notified(This may have glitches/bugs/whatever). Sox resampling is great but still direct output feels good without resampling. So it would be a really good feature. 

7 hours ago, andrewilley said:

See the post from the dev, a couple of posts about yours. He explained the reasons there.

Andre

Yes, I've seen his explanations, and it makes sense not have something like that set as default, but I don't understand why it's not even an option.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2021 at 4:03 PM, andrewilley said:

See the post from the dev, a couple of posts about yours. He explained the reasons there.

Andre

For most Android phones, adaptive sampling may not work. That's OK.

But we also have many Android music devices (or called DAP)  designed as no system/hardware resampling, which would actually work better with players supporting adaptive sampling(e.g. Neutron).  Users buy these devices just for higher sound quality, and have to give up a great UI of Poweramp. It's a pity.

4 hours ago, dvd6 said:

For most Android phones, adaptive sampling may not work. That's OK.

But we also have many Android music devices (or called DAP)  designed as no system/hardware resampling, which would actually work better with players supporting adaptive sampling(e.g. Neutron).  Users buy these devices just for higher sound quality, and have to give up a great UI of Poweramp. It's a pity.

+10000, exactly this.

Seems pretty daft of the Dev to say “oh this will break gapless playback”, meanwhile I can name only ONE ALBUM amongst 1,607 others on my DAP that has different sample rates within one album…

Gapless playback in any other context besides ‘An Album’ means total bupkis.

9 hours ago, Fitzian said:

Gapless playback in any other context besides ‘An Album’ means total bupkis.

The trouble isn’t related to gapless, but playing random files one after the other that may not have the same sample rate. However this is achieved by other apps including Neutron and Mango Player (native to iBasso DAP devices). So while possible, perhaps there are limitations that the current version of Poweramp cannot overcome, at this time.

@MotleyG right, for the players focused on playing on the usb dac capable of changing sample rates (please note that this is only advertised capability for most dacs, they usually run on single very high rate and resample internally anyway) this may make some sense, but for the modern Android devices and 3.5/usb dongle, or BT output - it doesn’t.

• 4 weeks later...

This was a timely topic for me to come across as I'm trying to find a new player and Poweramp looks to have everything I want with the exception of the feature in this thread. I've tested the eval versions of several other players that support adaptive rate output they seemed to work well even when I put together a playlist with varying rates among the files. The rest of the Poweramp feature set is better than those with probably the exception of Neutron but I don't know if I want to deal with that U/I long term when Poweramp's U/I is so good. I would assume as was mentioned earlier in the thread that the feature is likely not "low hanging fruit" to add in but it would be nice to know if it's even a possibility and would make my decision easier.