Add option for showing "Stop" button in the widget

There is no way in which I can stop Poweramp from  having control over  the generic playing/pausing function directly from a Poweramp widget on my homescreen: I always have to tap to go to the app itself and long-press (the pretty tiny button) pause ("long pressing" on a widget will always trigger the android widget move/edit function). This is highly annoying because Poweramp remains in either play or pause indefinitely, which in turn means there is a "previous/play/next" button showing on my Samsung LED cover, indefinitely, when there really shouldn't be when I want to finish listening to music. Poweramp doesn't let go of the control after 30 minutes in pause (maybe because I have a widget active?). It also doesn't automatically let go of the control after a current playlist finishes, which is what you'd normally expect from a music player. 

No, this is not the case at all, all "keeping" notifications are switched off and type is switched to "auto". 

Also, that is not my problem: the LED Cover only has partially to do with notifications - for playback it doesn't even rely on notifications, it shows the previous/play/next only as long as a certain app has control of the generic media audio, regardless if that app has notifications. So, the problem is that Poweramp never relinguishes control of the generic audio until another app takes over OR you long-press pause in the app. Long-press pause is essentially the same as "stop" for Poweramp, so I can't see why such an essential feature is nowhere optionally available in a widget. 

Unfortunately, this seems be a problem with your LED cover rather than PA. It doesn't happen to me on my Samsung A70: the Android lockscreen shortcut controls vanish as soon as PA stops playing (even if PA is still the current app). Maybe Max can look into it if you give him some more details? 

Long-press is not normally an option for widgets by the way, as that gesture is meant to trigger the homescreen's move/resize functionality.

Andre

@Windows95 stop action doesn’t send anything to Android. For Android (and thus notifications, which are controlled by this), Poweramp is either active/playing, or inactive/paused. Stop just unloads track from internal engine, resets position, etc. but for Android, Poweramp still stays in paused state (there is no Stopped state for Media session API).

There is no indefinite pause as well, as Poweramp is unloaded within 1minute or less after pause AND when UI is not on foreground.

I wonder what are exactly generic controls (there is no such term for Android)? If those are tied to Media session next/previous action, these usually activate the last active player, no matter when it was paused/unloaded. Recent Androids can also store last active player and that will survive reboot.

7 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Unfortunately, this seems be a problem with your LED cover rather than PA. It doesn't happen to me on my Samsung A70: the Android lockscreen shortcut controls vanish as soon as PA stops playing (even if PA is still the current app). Maybe Max can look into it if you give him some more details? 

Long-press is not normally an option for widgets by the way, as that gesture is meant to trigger the homescreen's move/resize functionality.

Andre

This hasn't anything to do with the LED cover per se, or with lockscreen shortcut controls or notifications, but more basic functions that the LED Cover taps into. Notifications for the LED cover are just fluff. The basic functions are;

- Clock. If you press power (without opening the cover or otherwise activating your screen) it shows the time. If you don't have any set notifications to show up and your Android device isn't doing anything interesting otherwise.

- Battery charge level. If you plug into a socket, or are plugged in and press power, the LED cover shows the percentage of charge. Again; without opening the cover or activating anything. 

- Incoming calls. You can answer or refuse incoming calls with taps on the LED cover, again without EVER opening your cover or activating your screen.

- Playback. It can -with simple crude icons and taps- trigger "previous/play/next" when paused, or "previous/pause/next" when playing something. 

Now, I *know* that long-press is not an option for an Android widget, because as I've said myself, it would need to go to "edit": I'm asking for an additional, seperate, completely optional "stop" button to show up in the widget as an alternative.

3 hours ago, maxmp said:

@Windows95 stop action doesn’t send anything to Android. For Android (and thus notifications, which are controlled by this), Poweramp is either active/playing, or inactive/paused. Stop just unloads track from internal engine, resets position, etc. but for Android, Poweramp still stays in paused state (there is no Stopped state for Media session API).

There is no indefinite pause as well, as Poweramp is unloaded within 1minute or less after pause AND when UI is not on foreground.

I wonder what are exactly generic controls (there is no such term for Android)? If those are tied to Media session next/previous action, these usually activate the last active player, no matter when it was paused/unloaded. Recent Androids can also store last active player and that will survive reboot.

Again, this ISN'T about notifications at all (see above). Explain me this - why is for Poweramp the "long-press" on pause in-app different from just tapping "pause" in-app? Because there is a definite difference, right? 

I'm not a developer, I don't know the exact Android terms for developers, I'm only deducing stuff as I go along (with a zillion different apps). Though I am a scinetist (edit: a drunken scientist that can't spell it seems lol), not your regular internet dummy. 

The LED-cover behaves as I expect it would. While "playing" media, the LED-cover shows an equalizer, as well as functional "previous/pause/next" icons. While "pausing" media, the LED-cover shows the equalizer flatlined, and functional "previous/play(resume)/next" icons. While after an obvious "stop" action or flag (say: long-pressed pause in-app in Poweramp, or when a playlist runs out in DoubleTwist), it immediately stops showing any playback icons on the LED-cover at all. This what I would expect - if I'm no longer listening to music - I'd expect the LED cover to revert to the basic "clock" function showing up after closing the cover or pressing power without opening the cover (see above). This isn't what happens while pausing a song in Poweramp, nor when a playlist runs out in Poweramp. In the first case, it is kind of logical even, as I pressed "pause" and never a "stop". In the latter case, it simply assumes a playlist is on repeat, paused after the last song. In both cases, the "previous/play/next" icons would show up eternally until I go into the app and long-press "pause" for a "stop" action. Even if I wouldn't listen to music for a year. Which defeats the purpose of those nifty LED icons. Hence, please! An optional "stop" button for the widgets.

As Max said above, there is no real difference in PA's interaction with Android between 'Paused' and 'Stopped'. Stopped merely means that the audio is zeroed back at the start of a track rather than in the middle. It doesn't even clear any shuffle or queued ordering. No media output is active as far as Android is concerned in either case.

Andre

4 hours ago, andrewilley said:

As Max said above, there is no real difference in PA's interaction with Android between 'Paused' and 'Stopped'.

That is not true. According to Android Development, once in a  "stopped" state, playback cannot be started until prepare() or prepareAsync() are called to set the MediaPlayer to the Prepared state again (unlike when in "paused");  https://developer.android.com/reference/android/media/MediaPlayer

• Playback can be paused and stopped, and the current playback position can be adjusted. Playback can be paused via pause(). When the call to pause() returns, the MediaPlayer object enters the Paused state. Note that the transition from the Started state to the Paused state and vice versa happens asynchronously in the player engine. It may take some time before the state is updated in calls to isPlaying(), and it can be a number of seconds in the case of streamed content.
    • Calling start() to resume playback for a paused MediaPlayer object, and the resumed playback position is the same as where it was paused. When the call to start() returns, the paused MediaPlayer object goes back to the Started state.
    • Calling pause() has no effect on a MediaPlayer object that is already in the Paused state.
  • Calling stop() stops playback and causes a MediaPlayer in the Started, Paused, Prepared or PlaybackCompletedstate to enter the Stopped state.
    • Once in the Stopped state, playback cannot be started until prepare() or prepareAsync() are called to set the MediaPlayer object to the Prepared state again.
    • Calling stop() has no effect on a MediaPlayer object that is already in the Stopped state.

I made a video for you guys demonstrating the difference;

However the OP's video does seem to indicate that his 'LED Cover' feature somehow seems to differentiate between PA being in a 'paused' state (thus far only shown by pausing from the widget) and being in a 'stopped' state (i.e. long-press on play/pause button from within the main app interface, which also zeroes the counter). I'd be interested to know if pausing playback from inside the main app interface (rather than pausing it from a widget) has the desired effect of removing the player controls from the LED cover or not.

Andre

There is some difference in just pausing via "widgets" and stopping - the latter also force-removes notification. I guess, the notification is the key for the widget. Poweramp also removes notification when just paused from the UI, unless Keep Notification options (in Settings / Look and Feel / Notifications) were tweaked. Poweramp can't always remove notification for any pause command, as this will break lockscreen/status shade notification UX - pause will behave as X (close).

I'll try to test Poweramp a bit more with that Samsung widget, may be force-removing notification for pause command originating from it is a good idea. Thanks!

1 hour ago, andrewilley said:

However the OP's video does seem to indicate that his 'LED Cover' feature somehow seems to differentiate between PA being in a 'paused' state (thus far only shown by pausing from the widget) and being in a 'stopped' state (i.e. long-press on play/pause button from within the main app interface, which also zeroes the counter). I'd be interested to know if pausing playback from inside the main app interface (rather than pausing it from a widget) has the desired effect of removing the player controls from the LED cover or not.

Andre

Thanks André; I'll elaborate - Pausing from the widget AND pausing  in-app itself has the exact same effect - I can resume playback from the icons showing on the LED cover, but in NEITHER case is anything showing on the lockscreen. (You can see that in the video, as you both correctly mention - in paused state nothing is showing on the Lockscreen - even when I "pause" from the LED Cover, the playback buttons correctly disappear from the Lockscreen (but never from the LED cover) - it is always "ready" to resume playback from both the widget and the LED Cover.

Again, I haven't tweaked "Keep Notification" options at all, they are in default - hence, when I pause, nothing concerning playback is showing on the Lockscreen, so the Lockscreen functions work correctly. Any suggestions on the settings I could attempt to find out more? 

Thanks for responding so quickly! I really love Poweramp. 

OK so. I just found a way easier method to "stop" than going to the app 😀 - through the notification bar! I never use that for anything. It shows me three icons - "Pause"/"Next"/"Stop(cross icon)" 

When I'm playing something, I can simply press "Stop" there, the LED Cover behaving as it should (not showing playback icons).

When I'm pausing - or first pressing pause THEN stop - the LED Cover will continue to display the playback icons. 

Been pulling my hair out over this one haha. So yeah, my original request still stands, if possible at all, give me an option for that "stop-cross" icon to show in the widgets.

The cross in the notification screen is not Stop per se, it is 'exit notification' (same sort of thing as swiping a notification away). From an audio point of view, it pauses playback (and the counter is not reset to zero).

All of which points to the LED Cover picking up its intent from notifications rather than from the main app. You say you've tried turning all the notification options in PA off?

Andre

Hey Andre, thanks for another swift repsonse. Notifications are set to default - to be sure, I just now restored them to default - when I "pause" by means of the widget or in-app, the Notification with playback buttons immediately disappears completely (but the LED Cover still shows the playback buttons). 

So. When I pause through the Notification bar itself, the playback Notification remains in the bar, and also shows a "pause" icon in the header (and the LED Cover also shows playback buttons). Should I also attempt to shut down notifications in PA itself just to see what happens? I can't seem to find that option.

When I turn off Notifications of PA in the Android settings completely, there is no difference, other than the Notification never showing in the bar; "pause" through the widget or in-app results in the LED-cover showing the playback buttons, and long-press on pause in-app causes them to disappear.

To be clear, I don't mind the playback buttons to show on the cover when I intend to pause. I just want to be rid of them as soon as I intend to stop listening to music. So far, that can only happen when I "exit" through the Notification or long-press "pause" in-app. 

2 hours ago, Windows95 said:

Should I also attempt to shut down notifications in PA itself just to see what happens?

That was my suggestion, try turning any notification features off (rather than just default) in Settings > Look and Feel > Notifications. But not sure if that will help though, your LCD Cover does seem to have a mind of its own. :)

Andre

This is Samsung's fault not PA, There was an update around a month or so ago for the LED Cover, you wont get it until you actually open the LED icon editor app and then you are prompted to update it, (DON'T) After the update I too have  the previous/play/next" button showing at all times when I close the cover, instead of the normal clock, restarting phone and not touching PA or anything else....still get Play/Pause, It reverts back to the clock after maybe a minute but has nothing to do with any media playing, I also updated on my other LED case before I realised there was a problem, and yep....Play Pause buttons are there when closing the cover, again it reverts back to the clock after a bit, but putting phone in pocket hits the buttons to play music or skip so I gotta wait till the clock shows up. Samsung updates sucks.  Max rocks. 

Edit July 31st, a new software update yesterday on the 30th (for me anyway ) fixed LED case issue on both phones, no Play/pause buttons when PA is not playing, so all back to normal now, Got no notification about an update so do the normal manual check to see if it's available for you: Settings>Software Update>Download and Install

^ THanks for that info. At least for me, it is consistent - I can control one way or the other whether the player shows up.

I'll start spamming Samsung. 

I agree that Poweramp is THE number one app to use for music =).

Archived