Constantly getting "Failed to play file" errors on OnePlus 7 Pro

tman450

Hello,

When I use Poweramp on my OnePlus 7 Pro, I almost always get a 'Failed to play file' error, but the song DOES actually play.

The song will play if I scroll back and hit the play button, but the seekbar and and notification controls do not work.  I've also noticed I can't browse my internal storage at all to pick folders for my library, I can only tick internal storage on or off.

I have a feeling that this is because I imported my settings from my old LG V20 via Googles phone transfer feature, but I've also tried reverting everything back to default and that hasn't fixed it.  The only solution I've been able to find is force closing the app occasionally, but the problem always comes back.

I'm using a OnePlus 7 Pro, with Android 9 and Poweramp build 836.

1 hour ago, tman450 said:

Hello,

When I use Poweramp on my OnePlus 7 Pro, I almost always get a 'Failed to play file' error, but the song DOES actually play.

The song will play if I scroll back and hit the play button, but the seekbar and and notification controls do not work.  I've also noticed I can't browse my internal storage at all to pick folders for my library, I can only tick internal storage on or off.

I have a feeling that this is because I imported my settings from my old LG V20 via Googles phone transfer feature, but I've also tried reverting everything back to default and that hasn't fixed it.  The only solution I've been able to find is force closing the app occasionally, but the problem always comes back.

I'm using a OnePlus 7 Pro, with Android 9 and Poweramp build 836.

You should perhaps completely uninstall, remove the directory, reinstall. When it works, you can add playlists from backup, if you have playlists.

This has also been reported in the 'Bugs' section at ...   

I thought it had disappeared when I loaded a new ROM onto my Note 9 but no ....  My phone works as above (i.e. 'can't play file' then plays it anyway) but reacts slightly differently if set to 'Pause'. If I swipe the album art to the left (to go to the next song) it gives the same error BUT skips that song and settles on the next one in the list. etc etc.

On the 836 build, Note 9 on a Pie based ROM and my music is on an sdcard formatted as exFAT. Dunno if that latter bit helps .... ?

3 hours ago, maxmp said:

@tman450 you have trial version (can happen if backup is restored incorrectly). To resolve the issue, force-close Poweramp (throw from recents when it’s not playing), start Unlocker and press Start Poweramp button once. That should fix it. Thanks!

Noticed that mine is also like this (trial). But your suggestion doesn't work as PA is still time limited afterwards. Do I need to reinstall it?

Thanks

Just now, dvhttn said:

Noticed that mine is also like this (trial). But your suggestion doesn't work as PA is still time limited afterwards. Do I need to reinstall it?

Is yours a Google purchase? If so you could try uninstalling PA and the unlocker and then reinstalling. Remember to backup your PA settings and any internal playlists first.

Andre

3 hours ago, maxmp said:

Clearing data will work. The problem is in bad license moved from the other device. This is fixed for the next 838 build.

That worked. But too late for me to check 'file not found' properly. Though flicking from track to track with PA on pause seems fine.

Ran the unlocker again, I can browse my storage now but I'm not sure if that was due to the unlocker or the most recent update.

On my About page, it still says I'm running a trial, and I'm still experiencing the same 'failed to play' errors.

My issues with .ogg files giving me the same "failed to play song" regardless if they are older files that have been sitting on my SD card for years, or if they are new ones stored in my phones internal memory. 

It also seems to be fixed with the latest release of Poweramp. 

Now if only musicfx could be fixed to work again with Bluetooth while using high res output, it would make Poweramp the perfect music player that it should be. 

On 7/4/2019 at 7:19 PM, tman450 said:

On my About page, it still says I'm running a trial, and I'm still experiencing the same 'failed to play' errors.

Try clearing data for both the main app and the unlocker and see if that helps reset your licence status. (Remember to backup settings and any internal playlists first).

Andre

17 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Try clearing data for both the main app and the unlocker and see if that helps reset your licence status. (Remember to backup settings and any internal playlists first).

Andre

I am suffering from the same problem. Where can I find the data for both PA and unlocker?

Thanks in advance

12 hours ago, maxmp said:

@tman450 are you on 838 build? Thanks!

@atomi Hi-Res is usually not supported by system wide equalizers. If can say for sure if you provide your device/android info. Thanks!

TA-1004 nokia 8 128gb model 

And I'm sure about it, because i would not have "wasted" over 100€ on my Sony wh-ch700n headphones if this wasn't working back in March when I bought the headphones. 

I have been able to get it close as possible to the way it soundsed before, but still i miss about half of the bass from before. Reason being that it gets really muffled before it gets even close to the settings that i had when high res audio was working. 

Screenshot_20190710-101958.png

9 hours ago, lesthesia said:

I am suffering from the same problem. Where can I find the data for both PA and unlocker?

Thanks in advance

@lesthesia I would advise just updating to 838, but for older builds it can be also resolved via android settings / Apps / Poweramp / Clear data. Note - this resets all Poweramp settings, (non-file based) playlists, ratings.

Archived