How does Replay Gain work exactly?

PatM

Does "Replay Gain" address evening out the volume Level difference between albums? 

I have been creating flat EQ presets with various preamp settings and assigning them by album. This seems less than optimal though because of the negative effects on gain structure and finally dynamic range. It's also pretty cumbersome to implement if I want anything other than a flat EQ.

Replay Gain "sounds"  like it might be a solution but without a manual, I can't seem to figure out if it is applicable and if so how to use it.

Yes, replay gain addresses the volume issue by modifying the preamp ( or adding another preamp, whatever ). It can be applied per song or per album. It supposes that a tag with replay gain information exists. If all works well ( if the tag exists and its value is correct ) there are no problems to be expected. I don't see problems with the dynamic range as it doesn't alter this - it is no dynamics compressor.

Yes, Reply Gain is not a dynamic system. It simply reads some tag info from the file which states the maximum peak level that exists anywhere in that file. Then the player adjusts the whole track to bring the gain to a value where that peak moment is at a level you define. Note: that target level is not normally 100%, as the process leaves some headroom for further EQ processing (bass boost, etc). 

Andre

Archived