Poweramp
Stodgers

Skipping, Stuttering Songs

Motorola Play G6 on Android 8.0.0, Poweramp v3-build-830-play

1. Phone clears out entire library musical content when the phone turns off or is restarted. Album/artist/song images still show, just nothing will play. Then cannot find folders for several hours. Have tried ejecting and remounting SD card, which is not formatted as internal, both physically and virtually.
  2. Phone skips songs during album or playlist playback and the "Failed to Play File' error shows up. When I click on the file manually, it plays fine. The pattern repeats after two songs play, i.e. play song 1, 2; skip 3 play 4; click 3 play 3, 4; skip 5. Etc.
  3. Songs sometimes stutter during playback. I can't find the buffer setting in this version of Poweramp?

First, try the latest version of the app (835 at the moment).

The buffer settings can be found in Settings > Audio > Output > [your chosen output method, e.g. Hi-Res Output] > tap on the little cogwheel icon next to the output device you want to enable/edit (e.g. Wired Headset/AUX).

Andre

Thanks Andre, I got the buffering issue fixed and updated the version. The other two problems still persist (#1 & 2). 

I should mention, I sent this same bug via the bug reporting form 10 days ago and got no response. Not sure how long that usually takes.

Hi guys. I've had similar issues since the last couple updates. I've just followed Andre's above recommendations and updated my settings. Hopefully this fixes it. :)

Hello I have the stutter problem since... I don't even remember. I just bought a better memory card (128gb sandisk extreme pro) but I still get at least 1 random stutter per album (like every hour of play) it's 1 brief "pause" I setup buffer settings at the max possible for everything but I still have the issue. I'm on honor 8 android 8.0.0. I'm using output open sl es with Bluetooth and headphones via jack. I'm switching to the Java based one now and test more

The issue with skipping tracks due to backup restored with the Poweramp license from other device was fixed in 838 (the current build on Play). Please update.

Re: stutter - what is the output device you're using (BT, 3.5, anything else?) In any case raising Audio Buffer by +100ms (Settings / Audio / Output / your output / your device) should resolve it, if not, this is governor/cpu issue (esp. if that happens, e.g. when you use Chrome or other app). In this case specific per-device system options, like excluding Poweramp + Poweramp Unlocker from battery/sleep/etc. optimizations should be used. Thanks!

1 hour ago, maxmp said:

The issue with skipping tracks due to backup restored with the Poweramp license from other device was fixed in 838 (the current build on Play). Please update.

Re: stutter - what is the output device you're using (BT, 3.5, anything else?) In any case raising Audio Buffer by +100ms (Settings / Audio / Output / your output / your device) should resolve it, if not, this is governor/cpu issue (esp. if that happens, e.g. when you use Chrome or other app). In this case specific per-device system options, like excluding Poweramp + Poweramp Unlocker from battery/sleep/etc. optimizations should be used. Thanks!

I updated yesterday and got the stutter today. I think it might a problem with honor phones. It keeps closing apps even when I tell it not to. It doesn't close Poweramp, but maybe it causes the stutter. 

Also buffer is at max for every slider... 

Changing the output could help? 

Thank you, the update appears to have fixed the skipping issue I was having. Any thoughts on the library issues?

One other issue I've noticed, but forgot to mention initially. When I plug in my aux and set the volume, I have everything maxxed at 100% (car stereo playback). When I unplug, then plug back in (which restarts the audio immediately), there is a moment where the audio is at the consistent level as before, then suddenly drops a few db and remains lower. No amount of fiddling with the volume controls brings it back.

This is just issue (1) remaining I assume? Have you tried doing a clean reformat on the SD Card, then copy all your music back? It does sound as though the card isn't mounting quickly enough for PA on reboot, but that usually would only be a matter of seconds rather than hours.

Andre