Jump to content
Poweramp
Sign in to follow this  
redlith

Pitch knob

Recommended Posts

It might be good to have a feature wherein PA can change the pitch of the song.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, SharpNesla said:

It would be hard to implement, but interesting feature for sound producers, +1

It won't be hard to implement. We've already got the tempo control, which already corrects the pitch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, blaubär said:

It won't be hard to implement. We've already got the tempo control, which already corrects the pitch.

Well i think you didn't got me. First if i'm not mistaken, Tempo is about playback speed and pertaining to how fast or slow the beat. 

Technically, pitch is how close the frequency crest that manipulates the amplitude of a sound   producing high or low frequency at a given normal playback speed.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, redlith said:

Well i think you didn't got me. First if i'm not mistaken, Tempo is about playback speed and pertaining to how fast or slow the beat. 

Technically, pitch is how close the frequency crest that manipulates the amplitude of a sound   producing high or low frequency at a given normal playback speed.

 

We can change the playback speed without changing the pitch. Which means that there already is a pitch control in Poweramp because otherwise the pitch would change when the speed changes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, blaubär said:

We can change the playback speed without changing the pitch. Which means that there already is a pitch control in Poweramp because otherwise the pitch would change when the speed changes.

To put an end to this misunderstanding regarding pitch kindly listen and watch this video i'd made. This feature if permitted by maxmp could be added into Poweramp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, blaubär said:

We can change the playback speed without changing the pitch. Which means that there already is a pitch control in Poweramp because otherwise the pitch would change when the speed changes.

In Poweramp,playback speed doesn't affect the pitch i guess. Maybe you are pointing other stuff. If im right that's compression, playbackspeed varies with pitch, if playback was extended pitch was also low.. otherwise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, redlith said:

In Poweramp,playback speed doesn't affect the pitch i guess.

Yes, that's my point. If you just slow down or speed up then the pitch changes. That it doesn't shows that Poweramp already changes the pitch to correct for this. Now all we need would be an knob to manually set this.

See screenshot: in Neutron MP you can switch the correction off.

517201951827.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, redlith said:

. If im right that's compression,

Compression is short for "dynamic range compression", see wikipedia :

Dynamic range compression (DRC) or simply compression is an audio signal processing operation that reduces the volume of loud sounds or amplifies quiet sounds thus reducing or compressing an audio signal's dynamic range.

51720195281.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, redlith said:

kindly listen and watch this video i'd made

Thank you. Listened and watched. Yes, that's pitch control. And it wouldn't be that complicated.

The question would rather be : what would one need that for ? You're not the first to request that :

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, blaubär said:

Compression is short for "dynamic range compression", see wikipedia :

Dynamic range compression (DRC) or simply compression is an audio signal processing operation that reduces the volume of loud sounds or amplifies quiet sounds thus reducing or compressing an audio signal's dynamic range.

51720195281.jpg

Well if that's the definition, i don't know whats the exact process for that,based on my experience when editing music,remixing, when i shorten the duration of music(not trimming) pitch also change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, redlith said:

Well if that's the definition, i don't know whats the exact process for that,based on my experience when editing music,remixing, when i shorten the duration of music(not trimming) pitch also change.

Yes, ideed, if you increase the speed you also increase the frequency !

But that has nothing to do with what most people mean when they speak of "compression".

Compression means reducing the dynamic range, not the duration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To answer the original question:

No, Poweramp does not have a separate Pitch control. However as @blaubär rightly says, it would probably not be very complicated for the dev to add one if he felt there was actually enough demand for it (most the code is probably already there inside the Tempo feature in order to pitch-correct during faster or slower playback). No need for any further argument about this, it's a Feature Request.

Dynamic Range Compression (sometimes called companding) is something completely different, and is also not supported as a user setting in Poweramp. It's a processing technique where the extreme points of high and low volume are smoothed out to make the overall output run at more of an equal volume without any sudden loud (or quiet) bits. Useful for night listening, or radio stations use it to make their overall audio output 'seem' louder or more equal than it really is. Also very much akin to dynamic normalisation in some apps.

Andre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, andrewilley said:

To answer the original question:

No, Poweramp does not have a separate Pitch control. However as @blaubär rightly says, it would probably not be very complicated for the dev to add one if he felt there was actually enough demand for it (most the code is probably already there inside the Tempo feature in order to pitch-correct during faster or slower playback). No need for any further argument about this, it's a Feature Request.

 

Thanks andrei.. indeed that this is a feature request not a place for debate in a first place that don't tackle the main thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...