Failed to Play File Error

Noetsi

LG G7.  Android 9. Beginning this week, coincident with upgrade to Android 9, when I press play, most of the time I get the error message "Failed to Play File!" but the file nonetheless plays.  I've also noticed that on the screen when the track plays, the minutes and seconds elapsed stays at 0:00, the waveform doesn't progress, and I can't speed up or reverse the track by touching the waveform.  Any ideas?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Noetsi said:

LG G7.  Android 9. Beginning this week, coincident with upgrade to Android 9, when I press play, most of the time I get the error message "Failed to Play File!" but the file nonetheless plays.  I've also noticed that on the screen when the track plays, the minutes and seconds elapsed stays at 0:00, the waveform doesn't progress, and I can't speed up or reverse the track by touching the waveform.  Any ideas?

- Settings > Library > Full Rescan

- Settings > Audio > Output > Restore Defaults

- if that doesn't help : uninstall , remove Poweramp directory and reinstall

If none of the above helps, also have a quick look in Settings > Library > Music Folders and check that only you desired music locations are ticked. If your music is on an external SD Card, try moving some to internal memory as a test.

Andre

On 6/11/2019 at 5:28 PM, andrewilley said:

What fixed it? In case anyone else has the same issue.

Andre

I took your advice and installed 829, which worked fine until a bit ago.  The error message I get now is that the app keeps stopping. I can't open the app.  It seems to me that Android 9 is really playing havoc with the app on certain devices.  I hope it can be fixed.

9 hours ago, Noetsi said:

It seems to me that Android 9 is really playing havoc with the app on certain devices.  I hope it can be fixed.

Every time a new Android version is released it seems to break something. Google seem far more interested in tweaking and changing, and even depreciating and replacing stuff, than in backward compatibility. Have you tried build 830 from the website here (not as a Google Play download)?

Andre

10 hours ago, maxmp said:

@Noetsi please send crash report if Poweramp suggests to do so. Poweramp has no issues with Pie in general, and there are reports of Poweramp working fine with LG G8. Still, something with G7 may be broken - waiting for my G7 to update to it.

I can't open 829 that I downloaded from this site, so it would seem that I can't send error reports.  I will try downloading 830 from this site.  I note that both times my 829 crashed and prevented me from getting back in, I was trying to access or discontinuing access to Android Auto.

I get this same problem. Pixel 3a. I've tried the 830 from the site, but for me it made no difference.

I randomly get the failed to play message and occasionally the app seems to lose the whole music library. If I keep rescanning, it will eventually find the files again. Music is stored in default folder location.

I'm on oneplus 3t with android 9

And I have this bug quite often. 

When I use the next track button it skips files with the error message "file not found", when I directly start the skipped file in the file list, it will be played, but I can't roll forward. 

Completely Restarting the app does sometimes help, but it is getting really annoying. 

I use the latest playstore version at the moment, but I'll try the version here today. 

If you need more infos, just ask. 

I really want this bug gone. 

/edit:

I installed the website-version but it seems to have saved the settings of the old version, how do I do a clean deinstall? 

1 hour ago, Malokir said:

I installed the website-version but it seems to have saved the settings of the old version, how do I do a clean deinstall? 

You could just clear app data if you want.

Could you also check Settings > About to ensure that it shows Purchase Verified and Stored, rather than any remnant of trial status?

Andre

• 6 months later...

This got much more annoying. Playlist playing for a while suddenly stops and when I try to play the next song, "Failed to Play File" error pops. So to fix it I had to FORCE STOP Poweramp and then open it else had to wait for a few minutes but then it won't show the image tags 

On 1/9/2020 at 3:18 PM, andrewilley said:

Try a Full Rescan (in Settings > Library) in case any of your files have been inadvertently moved, or Android has renamed or failed to load the SD Card for some reason.

Andre

Still it doesn't do any good. Its getting frequent these days and make it more annoying to force stop and try playing again EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE. 

Screenshot_2020-01-17-11-33-09-620_com.maxmpz.audioplayer.jpg

Does this happen every session? Or how often? Once a file or files fails (like the one above) can you go back and play the broken item again after restarting the app, or does it fail immediately again?

It does sound like filesystem read errors though, or the SD Card getting changed or renamed (or even corrupted). Either that or local database corruption. You could try clearing PA's app data completely and start from scratch, or reinstall the app, but you would lose any settings, internal playlists, etc (those can both be backed up before you start though). Another thought would be to backup your SD Card, reformat it, and copy everything back, and then try another FULL Rescan in PA (not just a basic Rescan, needs to be Full Rescan).

Andre 

Almost every session. I'm not sure how often but it's quite frequent. After force stoping the app and opening, I'm able to play the song which wasn't played, perfectly fine. 

All the files are in the internal storage.

I've reinstall Poweramp and imported the backed up settings. I'll see if the problem still persists and post an update

Archived