No longer able to see or choose music folders for library

@Brenton what app? Probably it was not updated to bleeding edge and uses legacy approach. Poweramp can do this too on broken Androids. See the post above:

There are no issues unless user specifically disables critical parts of OS (or custom ROM developer does this for user).

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

48 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

It looks like you have selected the 'Music' folder. Can you open it with the triangle symbol to see any folders inside?

Andre

Thanks for your prompt reply. While waiting for your reply, I did a clean reinstalling of PA and started the folder selection again. It worked this time. At the screenshot 1, I pressed the triangle symbol to see the folders inside. Then at screenshot 2, instead of selecting the Music folder straight away like I did it before, I pressed Allow Access To CLT-L29. I then came back to select the Music folder later. I am fine now, thanks.

Screenshot_20201026_230540_com.maxmpz.audioplayer.jpg

Screenshot_20201026_230627_com.android.documentsui.jpg

8 hours ago, Sidestash said:

I can't get PA to recognize any music files. It sees the folders in which all of the tracks are contained but it's still displaying 0 playlists 0 songs. Tried all of the recommended fixes but nothing will work. 

Sounds like a permissions issue to me. Are you running Android 11, or earlier? Might be worth cleanly uninstalling and reinstalling (make sure Google does not restore your settings from the cloud) and making sure you enable access to the root of your SD Card (assuming you are using an SD Card, as you didn't provide much information in your post) before you start selecting your Music Folders.

Andre

• 2 months later...

I have run into the same problem and is not allowed to access the internal storage, strangely i am allowed to access the system_ext folder end sub folder.

I have migrated from a Samsung S8 plus to a One Plus 8 pro, the music was on the SD card in the S8plus and PA kept the SD card location after the migration. The One plus does not have a SD card slot so had to move the music on to the internal storage, dumped it from the computer into the music folder, did a full re scan and the music from the SD card was removed form the PA index but the music from the internal storage was not added. Tried to use the library settings and navigate to the music folder, but I was not allowed to access the internal storage.
Also strange is that I by selecting a music file directly I can play it with PA and the entire album from where the tune was from now became a playlist but if I press the playlist it will not play.

NB. I did install the Files by Google as mentioned in this thread, I will also try to reinstall the program from the link (it was installed from Google play) and as a last resort try to run the file access in legacy mode. One thing I did notice reading the entire thread is that most report this problem after a migration and installing/migrating using Google Play.

1841798917_2021-01-1217_05_07.thumb.jpg.802a3889ebe741e720591ea7c4e7d72c.jpg168095579_2021-01-1217_30_37.thumb.jpg.a06c146905fbedfefdc1d215a4b79061.jpg720039431_2021-01-1217_38_54.thumb.jpg.83bc18aed2784d4fb297de66fc976ae0.jpg1939872962_2021-01-1217_41_27.thumb.jpg.7b80a1893058ae189993a09e3a554c8e.jpg1692891703_2021-01-1223_10_48.thumb.jpg.56273d4fa947719cd073ed3e768fba9b.jpg952595639_2021-01-1223_11_26.thumb.jpg.387fd242e92419e891006a07563317c8.jpg

Did the uninstall and reboot, install v893 downloaded from here and PA found most of my music but no cover art and would not play any music (error - media unmounted). Went into settings/Library/Music Folders, now it saw One Plus 8 as media and enabled (it did not say internal storage, but the name of the phone). Unfolded the tree and selected the Music folder, PA automatically did a scan and it found all tunes. But now all tunes was dobbed in the album list, back to settings/Library and did a full rescan and now it all works fine - I think 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I had similar problem after migrating from Huawei Mate 9 to OnePlus 8T. I was desperate after days of trying. My mistake was ... I always started Poweramp using the Poweramp symbol. Once I started Poweramp through Poweramp Full Version Unlocker app ... and I was amazed. I was able to select the music folder, rescan it and everything works perfectly for me now :)

Hopefully the tip will help someone.

Kirpan

45 minutes ago, Kirpan said:

Once I started Poweramp through Poweramp Full Version Unlocker app ... and I was amazed. I was able to select the music folder, rescan it and everything works perfectly for me now :)

I'm guessing that the app permissions for the two apps are handled separately. But revoking storage permissions and/or clearing app data for the main Poweramp app should have done the same thing, and also allowed you to Grant Access again.

I am also having this issue after the latest Android update on a Samsung Galaxy S20FE.  Attempting to play anything gives error that card is unmounted even though it is not. The card is also missing from the options to add directories in the library.

More frustrating is that I uninstalled and reinstalled and that seemed to fix the problem, until I turned off my phone to charge it.  Then on reboot, same exact problem.

For what it's worth I am also having annoying Bluetooth connectivity issues, and it seems like there are tons of problems with this latest Android firmware. The phone is practically brand new.  Everything was working just fine until today  (update was yesterday and I didn't use Poweramp yesterday).

Hi,

I'm on a pixel 4xl running Android 11. I was having the same problem. I could play a song in Poweramp by selecting "open with" from Google Files but it would never remain in the Poweramp library and Poweramp library wouldn't scan or find any of my mp3s.

I think the way I fixed it was by going into settings in the Poweramp app (click the three horizontal bars in bottom right then click settings) then scroll down to "Misc" then scroll down to "File access legacy mode" and turn it off. It restarts the app and after that I was able to scan and library populated automatically.

Hope it helps.

3 minutes ago, Dreadnought said:

I think the way I fixed it was by going into settings in the Poweramp app (click the three horizontal bars in bottom right then click settings) then scroll down to "Misc" then scroll down to "File access legacy mode" and turn it off.

Correct, Android 11 appears to work fine using its own default storage access mode, so you should turn File Access Legacy Mode OFF. Sometimes it's then also necessary to revoke previous storage permissions that have been carried over from Android 10 setups, and re-grant Access permission again. Also it's worth enabling the Android App Settings option to prevent permissions from being revoked if you don't use the app for a while.

See also the FAQ on the subject: 

Andre

• 2 months later...

an app you pay for shouldn't need engineering skills to start working when first turned on. PA every now and then makes it VERY difficult to use .

I have a Galaxy Note 10 Lite, and get a "doesn't look like anything to me" in all categories.  

can you help to make this app work

regards,

macc

@maccabi lifschitz you have Legacy file access enabled. This option is not enabled by default for the fresh Poweramp install. It's also specifically labelled as it may not work for the future version of Androids (that is Android 11). Do you have Poweramp carried over from Android 9? Did you enable it for some reason? Did you restore some poweramp settings? We only recommend this option for the devices without Files dialog (strictly, such devices are not Android-compatible).

• 2 months later...

A bit late to the thread but encountered same issue when moving to Samsung s10+.... After days of scrolling and re doing same shit it occurred to me, since starring my s10 I had both my Poweramp app and Poweramp unlocked, I had NOT enabled my Poweramp full version unlock app, after doing so it found 20 songs, which is a massive improvement and hopefully I can find the rest of my music now.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem on my tablet.
Can't select folders, can't import or export settings.
Settings -> misc ->File acces legacy mode is not there or at an other place.
No problems on my phones

Tablet : Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 Pro, Android 6.0.1
Phones :
Nokia 3.1 Android 10
Motorola Moto E2 LineageOS 17 (Android 10)

4 hours ago, maxmp said:

This topic contains multiple different possible issues with folders. Which one is yours?

Can't select folders, can't import or export settings.
Settings -> misc ->File acces legacy mode is not there or at an other place.
No problems on my phones

Tablet : Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 Pro, Android 6.0.1
Phones :
Nokia 3.1 Android 10
Motorola Moto E2 LineageOS 17 (Android 10)