Jump to content
Poweramp

Recommended Posts

On 6/27/2019 at 3:09 AM, andrewilley said:

 

Given that @flyingdutchman is the author of a powerful third-party app specifically designed for advanced management of playlists (the clue is in its title) I think his suggestion that you give it a try was eminently sensible.

Your own post however, re-quoting two other posts in full and just adding a question-mark, didn't seem to move things forward a great deal. Could you maybe answer my question, which was aiming to try to get a better understanding of your problem. Thanks.

And in response to your post about modifying a .M3U8 file manually, then yes Poweramp is meant to detect any changes made within its scannable directories - i.e. when audio, playlist, CUE, etc files are either added, modified or deleted, it is meant to update its library database accordingly. 

Andre

Hello?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/9/2019 at 8:43 PM, gabrielgugo said:

Also try the third party application that you mentioned before, but I do not see it useful in my case. 

Why? It would allow you to view your Poweramp playlists and convert/save them, which is what you seem to be having problems doing in the native interface for some reason.

Could you show us the files created by the example we mentioned before - i.e.create a sample 6-song internal playlist within PA and export it to M3U8, then add three new songs to that internal playlist and export it again, which you said corrupts the saved file. The two M3U8 files will be small text files, so you can just paste them into a message here, or attach them as files if you think the content is not being faithfully reproduced by the forum software. Then maybe Max can take a look at them for you.

Andre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2019 at 2:39 AM, andrewilley said:

Why? It would allow you to view your Poweramp playlists and convert/save them, which is what you seem to be having problems doing in the native interface for some reason.

Could you show us the files created by the example we mentioned before - i.e.create a sample 6-song internal playlist within PA and export it to M3U8, then add three new songs to that internal playlist and export it again, which you said corrupts the saved file. The two M3U8 files will be small text files, so you can just paste them into a message here, or attach them as files if you think the content is not being faithfully reproduced by the forum software. Then maybe Max can take a look at them for you.

Andre

Okay I just did what he told me to do and the following happened:

1. In Poweramp create a new playlist called "Prueba PA".
2. Add approximately 33 songs to the new list.
3. I gave it to export in the Poweramp settings and the route was "Internal Storage / Playlists".
4. Connect my phone to the computer and check the "Playlists" folder and there was no new file.
5. I went back to the Poweramp settings and exported the playlist again, but the new route was "G5 / Playlists" which is exactly the same route as before.
6. Check my computer and a new file called "Prueba PA.M3U8 (1)" appeared.
7. Rename that file to "Prueba PA.M3U8".
8. I checked my phone again and in Poweramp I got two equal playlists: "Prueba PA" and "Prueba PA.M3U8" both with songs from RedHotChilliPeppers.
9. In "Prueba PA" add 15 more songs from MyChemicalRomance.
10. In "Prueba PA.M3U8" add 14 DIFFERENT songs to the "Prueba PA" from TwentyOnePilots.
11. I re-exported in Poweramp settings.
12. Check my computer and the "Prueba PA" list still did not appear and the file "Prueba PA.M3U8" had not been updated with the new TwentyOnePilots songs.
13. Restart my phone and export again, but the result was the same.
14. Check in Poweramp both playlists and the "Prueba PA.M3U8" list had replaced TwentyOnePilots songs with MyChemicalRomance songs. I mean, both playlists ended up being the same.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And this is the text in the file "Prueba PA.M3U8":

/storage/3935-6333/Download/Red Hot Chili Peppers - Suck My Kiss.mp3
/storage/3935-6333/Download/Red Hot Chili Peppers - By The Way.mp3
/storage/3935-6333/Download/Red Hot Chili Peppers - Can't Stop.mp3
/storage/3935-6333/Download/01 - Around the World.mp3
/storage/3935-6333/Download/02 - Parallel Universe.mp3
/storage/3935-6333/Download/03 - Scar Tissue.mp3
/storage/3935-6333/Download/04 - Otherside.mp3
/storage/3935-6333/Download/05 - Get on Top.mp3
/storage/3935-6333/Download/06 - Californication.mp3
/storage/3935-6333/Download/07 - Easily.mp3
/storage/3935-6333/Download/09 - Emit Remmus.mp3
/storage/3935-6333/Download/10 - I Like Dirt.mp3
/storage/3935-6333/Download/11 - This Velvet Glove.mp3
/storage/3935-6333/Download/12 - Savior.mp3
/storage/3935-6333/Download/13 - Purple Stain.mp3
/storage/3935-6333/Download/14 - Right on Time.mp3
/storage/3935-6333/Download/15 - Road Trippin'.mp3
/storage/3935-6333/Download/01 The Getaway.wma
/storage/3935-6333/Download/02 Dark Necessities.wma
/storage/3935-6333/Download/03 We Turn Red.wma
/storage/3935-6333/Download/04 The Longest Wave.wma
/storage/3935-6333/Download/05 Goodbye Angels.wma
/storage/3935-6333/Download/06 Sick Love.wma
/storage/3935-6333/Download/07 Go Robot.wma
/storage/3935-6333/Download/08 Feasting on the Flowers.wma
/storage/3935-6333/Download/09 Detroit.wma
/storage/3935-6333/Download/10 This Ticonderoga.wma
/storage/3935-6333/Download/11 Encore.wma
/storage/3935-6333/Download/12 The Hunter.wma
/storage/3935-6333/Download/13 Dreams of a Samurai.wma
/storage/3935-6333/Download/01 - Around the World.mp3
/storage/3935-6333/Download/Brendan's Death Song.mp3
/storage/3935-6333/Download/Red Hot Chili Peppers - By The Way.mp3
 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope this gives you a more detailed idea of the situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2019 at 2:39 AM, andrewilley said:

Why? It would allow you to view your Poweramp playlists and convert/save them, which is what you seem to be having problems doing in the native interface for some reason.

Could you show us the files created by the example we mentioned before - i.e.create a sample 6-song internal playlist within PA and export it to M3U8, then add three new songs to that internal playlist and export it again, which you said corrupts the saved file. The two M3U8 files will be small text files, so you can just paste them into a message here, or attach them as files if you think the content is not being faithfully reproduced by the forum software. Then maybe Max can take a look at them for you.

Andre

 

On 7/20/2019 at 4:38 AM, flyingdutchman said:

perhaps a redefinition of the problem will help?

Hello? UHG

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did ask if you could provide an example of creating a short INTERNAL playlist with (e.g.) 6 items in it, export it, then add 3 more songs to that internal list and export it again (best to rename it first, or you'll end up overwriting the old file), and paste the contents of both files here. You provided a 14 point method list and just one 30+ item playlist, and also discussed editing both the internal list and re-loaded M3U8 file at the same time. The M3U8 files are backups, you should not ideally have both the original and the backup loaded at the same time (they will be duplicates of each other)

Andre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/29/2019 at 1:49 AM, andrewilley said:

I did ask if you could provide an example of creating a short INTERNAL playlist with (e.g.) 6 items in it, export it, then add 3 more songs to that internal list and export it again (best to rename it first, or you'll end up overwriting the old file), and paste the contents of both files here. You provided a 14 point method list and just one 30+ item playlist, and also discussed editing both the internal list and re-loaded M3U8 file at the same time. The M3U8 files are backups, you should not ideally have both the original and the backup loaded at the same time (they will be duplicates of each other)

Andre

But that is not my problem. When they are small playlists there is no problem, but as I said from the beginning my playlists are large. In the previous message I was as detailed as possible so that I could enter perfectly, please read it again and if you do not understand something ask me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@gabrielgugo Thanks for the details. Poweramp saves m3u and other file based playlists as soon as they are modified or/and you go away from this playlist in Poweramp UI (so it won’t constantly re-save it while you’re modifying it). I can make this a bit more obvious by eg. showing Playlist saved popup.

As for computer visibility, for mtp Android caches folders and sometimes fails to show just created files (until reconnection). Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well at the very least do what I asked but with a bigger internal list? Use completely different names for each exported file (maybe rename the internal list each time?) and show the results of the initial 'good' export of an internal playlist, and then the second (with a new filename) export after you have adding a few songs.

Andre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, maxmp said:

@gabrielgugo Thanks for the details. Poweramp saves m3u and other file based playlists as soon as they are modified or/and you go away from this playlist in Poweramp UI (so it won’t constantly re-save it while you’re modifying it). I can make this a bit more obvious by eg. showing Playlist saved popup.

As for computer visibility, for mtp Android caches folders and sometimes fails to show just created files (until reconnection). Thanks!

I understand that the M3U8 files are not constantly updated when changing something in their respective playlist, the problem is that approximately 1 month ago it is not updated even if you re-export the playlist. It is as if the M3U8 file could no longer store more information and any changes you make to the playlist in the Poweramp interface were not applied to those files even if I export it again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Well at the very least do what I asked but with a bigger internal list? Use completely different names for each exported file (maybe rename the internal list each time?) and show the results of the initial 'good' export of an internal playlist, and then the second (with a new filename) export after you have adding a few songs.

Andre

Hello Andres

Excuse me, but I didn't understand your message, could you repeat more clearly what you want me to do please?
Thank you so much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@gabrielgugo When exporting playlist, Poweramp creates it from scratch, so if m3u file still contains old data, it means it an old file. Poweramp didn't write it - it wrote in by other path (that's fixed and always within same folder in Android/data/_com.maxmpz.audioplayer) or file is write-protected or/and Poweramp has no write access to the storage/location where given playlist resides (USB storages or Android Q+).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, gabrielgugo said:

Excuse me, but I didn't understand your message, could you repeat more clearly what you want me to do please?

Before this thread started going off on confusing tangents, you described your problem as follows:

1) You create a playlist within Poweramp (i.e. an internal playlist) and then use the 'Export' feature to make a backup copy of it as an .M3U8 file on your device's storage. You said this worked OK.
2) You then added a few extra songs to the same internal playlist, but when you later tried to Export it again (to make a new/updated .M3U8 backup file) not all of the new songs were saved correctly to the new .M3U8 file.

That is what I am trying to help diagnose for you, not re-loading or editing existing .M3U files.

So please could you do steps 1 and 2 above, giving each .M3U8 file a different name, and post the contents of the first file and the second file so we can see what is going on. Screenshots of how the playlist looked in the Library view before you did each Export would be handy too. 

Andre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, maxmp said:

@gabrielgugo When exporting playlist, Poweramp creates it from scratch, so if m3u file still contains old data, it means it an old file. Poweramp didn't write it - it wrote in by other path (that's fixed and always within same folder in Android/data/_com.maxmpz.audioplayer) or file is write-protected or/and Poweramp has no write access to the storage/location where given playlist resides (USB storages or Android Q+).

It's strange because Poweramp was always able to overwrite the M3U8 file without creating it from scratch, I could test the problem is that I'm afraid it won't work and I end up losing all my playlists.

The second option you mention about write protection sounds very reasonable, although I don't know if that's my case, how could I know and fix it?

Thank you so much

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Before this thread started going off on confusing tangents, you described your problem as follows:

1) You create a playlist within Poweramp (i.e. an internal playlist) and then use the 'Export' feature to make a backup copy of it as an .M3U8 file on your device's storage. You said this worked OK.
2) You then added a few extra songs to the same internal playlist, but when you later tried to Export it again (to make a new/updated .M3U8 backup file) not all of the new songs were saved correctly to the new .M3U8 file.

That is what I am trying to help diagnose for you, not re-loading or editing existing .M3U files.

So please could you do steps 1 and 2 above, giving each .M3U8 file a different name, and post the contents of the first file and the second file so we can see what is going on. Screenshots of how the playlist looked in the Library view before you did each Export would be handy too. 

Andre

Hello Andre

The diagnosis is correct.
I will try what you mention with my own playlists and tell you the result.

Okay, I just tried what you told me and when I changed the name of the M3U8 file it also changed in the playlist in Poweramp and the result was the same, the new songs do not appear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, gabrielgugo said:

Okay, I just tried what you told me and when I changed the name of the M3U8 file it also changed in the playlist in Poweramp and the result was the same, the new songs do not appear.

Changing the filename of an already-exported M3U8 file will have no effect at all on the internal playlist that still exists within Poweramp. Once exported, the file is a completely separate entity, think of it a 'snapshot' of the playlist as it existed at the moment when you backed it up.

You can of course re-scan any M3U8 file(s) back into Poweramp by leaving the file(s) in a location that PA is permitted to scan for music, but that would not be a good idea as you'll end up seeing two copies of every playlist (the original internal one, and also the file-based backup copy). To avoid this happening, make sure that the location where Poweramp creates its backups (usually /Playlists/ in internal storage) is NOT ticked within the scannable folders list in Settings > Library > Music Folders. I have my 'real' folder for manually create M3U Playlist files on my SD Card, in a scannable location along with the rest of my music files.

Andre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Changing the filename of an already-exported M3U8 file will have no effect at all on the internal playlist that still exists within Poweramp. Once exported, the file is a completely separate entity, think of it a 'snapshot' of the playlist as it existed at the moment when you backed it up.

You can of course re-scan any M3U8 file(s) back into Poweramp by leaving the file(s) in a location that PA is permitted to scan for music, but that would not be a good idea as you'll end up seeing two copies of every playlist (the original internal one, and also the file-based backup copy). To avoid this happening, make sure that the location where Poweramp creates its backups (usually /Playlists/ in internal storage) is NOT ticked within the scannable folders list in Settings > Library > Music Folders. I have my 'real' folder for manually create M3U Playlist files on my SD Card, in a scannable location along with the rest of my music files.

Andre

Hello Andre

I understand your point, but there is something to take into account, the original playlists no longer have them, so I use the M3U8 files directly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, gabrielgugo said:

I understand your point, but there is something to take into account, the original playlists no longer have them, so I use the M3U8 files directly.

Then if you cannot reproduce the original problem by creating a new internal playlist and exporting it, then adding some songs and exporting it again, can we assume the original issue is now resolved?

Andre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Then if you cannot reproduce the original problem by creating a new internal playlist and exporting it, then adding some songs and exporting it again, can we assume the original issue is now resolved?

Andre

Hello Andre,

Let me see if I understood you.
You think the problem is because my playlists are not the original ones, so you are asking me to try a completely new original list with many songs if the problem happens again, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2019 at 1:25 PM, maxmp said:

@gabrielgugo When exporting playlist, Poweramp creates it from scratch, so if m3u file still contains old data, it means it an old file. Poweramp didn't write it - it wrote in by other path (that's fixed and always within same folder in Android/data/_com.maxmpz.audioplayer) or file is write-protected or/and Poweramp has no write access to the storage/location where given playlist resides (USB storages or Android Q+).

 

On 8/8/2019 at 2:21 PM, andrewilley said:

Then if you cannot reproduce the original problem by creating a new internal playlist and exporting it, then adding some songs and exporting it again, can we assume the original issue is now resolved?

Andre

Hello?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello... Hello... Hello... (some forums ban users for continually bumping threads, but luckily not this one)

And please see (and reply to) what I posted before - which is, if you can no longer reproduce the problem that you originally described, can we assume your issue can now be considered solved?

Andre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, andrewilley said:

Hello... Hello... Hello... (some forums ban users for continually bumping threads, but luckily not this one)

And please see (and reply to) what I posted before - which is, if you can no longer reproduce the problem that you originally described, can we assume your issue can now be considered solved?

Andre

Andre

But what are you saying? I responded to your message a long time ago and you will never receive a response from you, so spam, check above and you will see it.

And no, my problem is not solved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your original post described that when exporting playlists, any newly added files were not added to the exported M3U8 file:

On 5/30/2019 at 5:33 PM, gabrielgugo said:

Today I try to export my Poweramp playlists. When I give the export button, it tells me that the export was successful, but when I see the .m3u8 file, the new songs added do not appear.

You later said you could no longer reproduce this problem. Is this problem still happening when you create a new internal playlist and try to export it, or not? And if it's different, what is the new problem? I will be able to look into this further when I return from vacation at the end of the month so please do not expect any detailed responses from me until then, although Max may be able to help in the meantime.

Andre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...