Poweramp Build 829

maxmp

1 hour ago, gLer said:

Currently says 24-bit 192khz. I assume it resamples everything to this value? Or does the file determine the high-res level?

Yes, it will resample.

Poweramp doesn't support a "follow the mp3-sampling frequency" option.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well - it seems to be resampling to 24/192 for most files. However files that are already high-res seem to be playing in their native res. For example, I have several DSD tips at 24/88.2, and when I check the output settings during playback, it shows 24/88.2 (as opposed to 24/192 for most other files). 

2 hours ago, Cregit said:

Model : Samsung Galaxy S6 (flat)

Build : v3-build-829-play (Beta user)

Hi, Sorry for i'm not well english because i'm korean

My Error is

Bluetooth used Poweramp (Build 829) doesn't work

(Bluetooth Pairing: On)

Without Bluetooth can use Poweramp, but used Phone Speaker, 3.5mm jack

(Bluetooth Pairing : OFF)

Can I take Solution for My problem?

Thank you for reading, And sorry for my ruin english

Settings > Audio > Output > Restore Defaults

Build 829 closes immediately after opening. I tried uninstall/reinstall Poweramp and unlocker from google playstore but it didn't help. I just replaced my phone and had an apk backup of build 828 which still works normally.

2 hours ago, Cregit said:

My Error is

Hello!

My MusicFX options is missing too, after the last update build 829. My de vice is Alcatel idol 4.

Anyone can help me?

3 hours ago, Cregit said:

My Error is

Not sure if I am doing this right or reading the changelogs but I am not getting Hi-Res 192k on my Note 8 running thre N950U1UEU5DSD4 firmware with DVC on and manually going to 192k disables DVC. Is there somethin I need to reconfigure or that I have to wait for a new update?

20190528_072239.jpg

20190528_072133.jpg

On 5/27/2019 at 8:17 AM, maxmp said:

I use mostly 16bit 44.1khz Flac files on my LG V35 with HiFiDac enabled. Hi Res output shows 32 bit 192 khz. Does this mean that the signal is being resampled from CD to Hi-Res? I ask this as resampling/upsampling is known to degrade sound quality. So for the purest unaltered sound should i use stock Open SL output? I use Etymotic ER4SR which are VERY analytical and can show flaws like these.

Capture+_2019-05-28-14-27-31.png

Capture+_2019-05-28-14-27-45.png

1 hour ago, Larethio said:

I use mostly 16bit 44.1khz Flac files on my LG V35 with HiFiDac enabled. Hi Res output shows 32 bit 192 khz. Does this mean that the signal is being resampled from CD to Hi-Res? I ask this as resampling/upsampling is known to degrade sound quality. So for the purest unaltered sound should i use stock Open SL output?

Yes, that means the sampling rate is increased, and that is called upsampling.

There are people who think this enhances the quality, that's the reason some music players advertise their upsampling capabilities. I doubt this.

It also shouldn't degrade the sound quality, provided the hardware can handle it. Which should be the case with a modern smartphone.

In short : it doesn't matter. When possible I use high-res with a sampling rate of 44.1 kHz, then there isn't any resampling at all.

1 hour ago, blaubär said:

In short : it doesn't matter. When possible I use high-res with a sampling rate of 44.1 kHz, then there isn't any resampling at all.

I was under the impression that Poweramp resamples EVERYTHING to 16/44.1 or 16/48 if not high-res, and resamples all non-high-res files to 24/192 when in high-res mode. Is this not correct? In other words Poweramp ALWAYS resamples or upsamples and doesn’t have a bitperfect mode. Let me know if that’s wrong, and if so what actually happens with the processing.

39 minutes ago, gLer said:

I was under the impression that Poweramp resamples EVERYTHING to 16/44.1 or 16/48 if not high-res, and resamples all non-high-res files to 24/192 when in high-res mode. Is this not correct? In other words Poweramp ALWAYS resamples or upsamples and doesn’t have a bitperfect mode. Let me know if that’s wrong, and if so what actually happens with the processing.

There needs to be a BitPerfect mode or if there is one please correct me.  

1 hour ago, gLer said:

I was under the impression that Poweramp resamples EVERYTHING to 16/44.1 or 16/48 if not high-res,

Most phones regular output is based on 48K, and they upsample 44.1 audio to 48. That's regardless of whether the source is 44 or 48.

Andre

7 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Most phones regular output is based on 48K, and they upsample 44.1 audio to 48. That's regardless of whether the source is 44 or 48.

Andre

Yes but I’m using Poweramp on a high-res dap (FiiO M11), so why would it be defaulting to 16/48? Should it not respect the capabilities of the dac and leave the files as-is if it can?

9 hours ago, gLer said:

As far as I understand it : for each output device ( wired headphones, bluetooth, speaker, ... ) the user chooses an output plugin ( audiotrack, opensl, high-res, ... ) and in the settings there a sampling rate. This  plugin with its sampling rate then is used for whatever input may come. So if you have configured wired headphones for high-res with 192 kHz and the speaker for audiotrack with 48 kHz and play an mp3 with 44.1 kHz, then for headphones it will be upsampled to 192 kHz and for speaker it will be upsampled to 48 kHz. And if you play a high resolution flac with 96 kHz, then it will be downsampled to 48 kHz for the speaker and upsampled to 192 kHz for the headphones. And so on.

And this is a reasonable procedure, as far as I can tell. Nobody can hear high-res-quality on a smartphone speaker ( if anybody can hear it at all ) , and it cannot produce high-res anyway, so why make it dependend on the file being played ? And although upsampling doesn't make anything better, it also doesn't make anything worse. And the processing costs are not relevant with modern smartphones.

Can anybody tell me what the big thing with "bit-perfect" is supposed to be ?

3 minutes ago, blaubär said:

As far as I understand it : for each output device ( wired headphones, bluetooth, speaker, ... ) the user chooses an output plugin ( audiotrack, opensl, high-res, ... ) and in the settings there a sampling rate. This  plugin with its sampling rate then is used for whatever input may come. So if you have configured wired headphones for high-res with 192 kHz and the speaker for audiotrack with 48 kHz and play an mp3 with 44.1 kHz, then for headphones it will be upsampled to 192 kHz and for speaker it will be upsampled to 48 kHz. And if you play a high resolution flac with 96 kHz, then it will be downsampled to 48 kHz for the speaker and upsampled to 192 kHz for the headphones. And so on.

And this is a reasonable procedure, as far as I can tell. Nobody can hear high-res-quality on a smartphone speaker ( if anybody can hear it at all ) , and it cannot produce high-res anyway, so why make it dependend on the file being played ? And although upsampling doesn't make anything better, it also doesn't make anything worse. And the processing costs are not relevant with modern smartphones.

Can anybody tell me what the big thing with "bit-perfect" is supposed to be ?

"Bit-Perfect" as in prefering for the audio signal to go through as few processing steps as possible . If you have a 16 bit 44.1 khz WAV and resample it up to say 24 bit 192 Khz the sound quality wouldnt get better. Information cannot be added so resampling would just degrade the audio further by introducing artifacts. Sure the difference is barely audible and some people like what resampling does to the audio but for those of us that want to hear our music as unaltered as possible its not very desirable. Those who want or need a reference sound prefer less processing so the audio is as pure and faithful as they can get it.

To be fair though this is VERY subjective and most of the difference in sound is so minute that people would strain themselves trying to hear a difference.

OCD's a b*tch.

1 hour ago, blaubär said:

Nobody can hear high-res-quality on a smartphone speaker ( if anybody can hear it at all ) , and it cannot produce high-res anyway, so why make it dependend on the file being played ?

The thing is many of us are not using Poweramp on phones, which aren’t great for audio (unless you have something like the LG V20/30), but in dedicated music players with high-real dacs and special audio circuits, so high-res is very much audible and desirable and upsampling/downsampling artefacts are not.

My original question, and I hope @maxmp can confirm, is whether Poweramp resamples ALL files, or leaves 16/44.1 files alone (in standard res mode) and leaves high-res files alone (in high-res mode)? 

20 minutes ago, gLer said:

is whether Poweramp resamples ALL files, or leaves 16/44.1 files alone (in standard res mode) and leaves high-res files alone (in high-res mode)

I'm not MaxMp, but I think I can answer that : as described above, you specify the sampling rate for the device, and that sampling rate is used. If the source has another, it's resampled. Up or down, depending.

429201995615.jpg

With USB DAC you've got the option to let the device decide - but the device won't take the source sampling rate into account.

‘Defines by device’ is the confusing one. Does that mean if the device is playing a 24/88.2 file, Poweramp will output it as 24/88.2 without resampling? Same for 16/44.1?

I read that Poweramp resamples ALL files. So for example even if I specific 16/44.1 and play back a 16/44.1 file, Poweramp takes the file, resamples it (even if it’s to the same bitrate), then plays it. 

That’s what I need @maxmp to confirm.

1 minute ago, gLer said:

'Defines by device’ is the confusing one. Does that mean if the device is playing a 24/88.2 file, Poweramp will output it as 24/88.2 without resampling? Same for 16/44.1?

No, as I understand it "the device" means the USB DAC. And that doesn't care about the source sampling rate, doesn't know it even.

Archived