Poweramp
Stallion777

Getting 'Failed to play - Storage Unmounted' after latest update

After the latest update (Build 828), after a while, when trying to play my music in folders, I get an error: 'Failed to play - storage unmounted'. At first I thought my SD card had gone bad, until I went to play my music using another app I have, and my music played just fine. I've done a re-scan, shut my device off (Motorola Moto G5+), even removed and re-installed the SD card, all to no avail. Then I realized I was having the same problem on another device, but only in Poweramp with the same update. Does anyone know what's going on with this?

2 hours ago, Stallion777 said:

I've done a re-scan

The Re-Scan was a FULL rescan ? Settings > Library > Full Rescan

And if a Full Rescan does not work, try a clean reformat of your SD Card and then copy all the contents back again  (using a computer). Then try another Full Rescan, as Android will have invented a new name for the SD Card.

Andre

This message means Poweramp tries to play song from missing storage. Poweramp doesn't remove tracks automatically from internal database when sdcard/storage is changed, so track entries stay there and attempt to play them will show the message.

If you changed sdcard permanently and don't want missing tracks to hang in Library use Settings / Library / Full Rescan (use once after such storage change).

Note that Poweramp builds prior 824 completely removed missing entries from custom Playlists for Full Rescan.
Poweramp builds 824+ will keep your playlist entries as is, optionally resolving them to the new storage locations (if files match by directory/name).

10 hours ago, blaubär said:

The Re-Scan was a FULL rescan ? Settings > Library > Full Rescan

Awesome, my apps working 😎👍🏾

The thing is that I'm only getting this problem in Poweramp. As I mentioned in my post, other music players are having no problem reading the music on my SD card, only Poweramp after this last update. And the other reason I know it's not my SD card is that one of my music folders was not on the SD card, but on the smartphone's storage, and I received the same error message when trying to read music from it. My other music app is 'Player Pro', so right now, I'm using it because I'm not having this issue with Player Pro. I really like Poweramp, but right now, with the problems caused by recent updates, I have to say that I'm not too happy with it.  

You could uninstall and reinstall Poweramp, perhaps that helps. ( settings and playlists will get lost, so export and save before uninstall )

6 hours ago, Stallion777 said:

I really like Poweramp, but right now, with the problems caused by recent updates, I have to say that I'm not too happy with it.  

Check that it is actually the PA update and roll back one version (all previous versions are available from the Downloads tab at the top of the page).

Andre

I get the same storage unmounted message, found that the reset at the bottom of the menu actually deleted all of my ID3 tags completely, and didn't rescan anything.

Just uninstalling and reinstalling of Poweramp fixed my unmounted storage problem.

I just moved my SD card from my old Moto Z Play to a new S8. Getting the same unmounted storage message. I uninstalled/reinstalled Poweramp, no change. V3 Build 838, Unlocker 3 build 301  Google Music finds and plays the songs, no problem. 

Go to Settings > Library > Music Folders and ensure that your new SD Card storage folder is ticked. It's generally best to untick everything initially, and then tick only the folder (or folders) than contains all of your audio subfolders (all subfolders will be selected unless you manually untick any).  Then try a FULL Rescan in Settings > Library.

Andre

I had already checked that the the SD card was Selected in settings. Strangely, I went back and re checked and this time neither Box with selected. I selected the SD card again and the message still came up when I tried to play a song.

The reason I'm nervous about doing a full re scan is that there's a warning that says it will delete files that are not mounted. It seems to me that power app believes the SD card is not mounted when it actually is. Will it delete files?

It won't delete FILES from storage, but it will remove any entries in Poweramp's internal database for files which it can no longer find (i.e. clean up the database of any now-incorrect entries, which is what you want it to do). It will also remove any internal Playlist references to songs that are no longer present in the database.

Andre

OK, I'll try it. I saw that as a solution initially, but was apprehensive as I didn't understand the warning.

Love the app, but a lot of the instructions are above my level of understanding. Your support helps a lot. 

Hey!....It worked!

Thanks!

Glad I could help. Sometimes the warning messages sound more ominous than they actually are. :)

Andre

On 5/18/2019 at 11:47 AM, andrewilley said:

And if a Full Rescan does not work, try a clean reformat of your SD Card and then copy all the contents back again  (using a computer). Then try another Full Rescan, as Android will have invented a new name for the SD Card.

Andre

In my case I dont have a SD card, still I get the same error. I tried rescanning but didnt help. 

Sorry, just now I was able to resolve the issue. I couldnt figure how to delete my previous post tho.

1 hour ago, Vin said:

Sorry, just now I was able to resolve the issue.

Out of curiosity, and in case it helps anyone else in the future, what was the problem?

Andre

On 5/18/2019 at 1:47 PM, thedigitaljedi said:

Awesome, my apps working 😎👍🏾

I did full rescan and it fixed my problem!!! Thanks a lot for hint.