Unstable Bluetooth after Android v 9.0 upgrade when using Poweramp

Bobl457

After my (Motorola Moto-Z3 - Verizon) smartphone upgrade to Android version 9 (Pie), the Bluetooth function is now unstable when connecting the phone using Poweramp (v3-build826) to my vehicle running Ford Sync 3 (ver 3.0).  This is a direct Bluetooth connection, not using the Android Auto function.  This specific combination (of Android versions, Poweramp & Ford Sync) worked fine before with Android v8.1 running but now fails after an upgrade to Android v9.0 around 04/23/19.  Other Music Players installed on the smartphone work fine and do not have the same Bluetooth connection issues with Ford Sync 3.  Also,  my other Bluetooth connected devices (Speakers, phones, PC, etc) work fine with Poweramp v3-build826 on the Phone running Android 9.0.  Any thoughts?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Confirm the issue with android 9, Oneplus 3T, Ford sync 3

Bluetooth permanently connecting and disconnecting. Had to uninstall Poweramp to use phone in the car (Ford Kuga II, 2019).

Google play music works no issues. 

That sucks. Please fix! 

Cheers

Armin

Same issue using my Motorola G6+ after android 9 update connecting to a 2016 VW Golf via Bluetooth using Poweramp 3 build 828. The handset will connect to the car fine however as soon as Poweramp attempts to play (either requested by the car or started on the handset) the handset Bluetooth crashes. This issue then loops until something else on the handset takes audio focus.

All other applications I have tried can still play to the car fine (Youtube, Google maps and Rocket player). The issue is definitely linked to Poweramp as I can trigger it at will by giving Poweramp audio focus and fix it by moving audio focus to another application. Working around the issue by using rocket player for the moment in the car but would very prefer to be using Poweramp as its a better app.

Same issue with the BQ Aquaris X2 and Mazda Connect. The Bluetooth connection is established and then immediately interrupted, resulting in another try to connect, which fails again.

My Aquaris is running the latest Android 9, kernel version 4.4.153-perf+, build 2.0.2-20190519-1443.

Here's Poweramp's log on the last processed Bluetooth commands:

==================
17:52:25.561 HeadsetPlugReceiver headset event
connection BT=true am mode=0
==================
17:52:25.561 HeadsetPlugReceiver RESUME
==================
17:52:26.070 PlayerService RESUME
from HeadsetPlugReceiver resumePlaying
==================
17:52:26.320 HeadsetPlugReceiver headset event
==================
17:52:26.530 HeadsetPlugReceiver headset event
disconnection BT=false am mode=0 no_keep_notif_on_dscn=false
==================
17:52:26.530 HeadsetPlugReceiver cmd_player_pause_playing
==================
17:52:32.099 HeadsetPlugReceiver headset event
==================
17:52:32.099 HeadsetPlugReceiver RESUME
==================
17:52:32.533 HeadsetPlugReceiver headset event
==================
17:52:32.533 HeadsetPlugReceiver RESUME
==================
17:52:32.604 PlayerService RESUME
from HeadsetPlugReceiver resumePlaying
==================
17:52:33.037 PlayerService RESUME
from HeadsetPlugReceiver IGNORED
==================
17:52:34.826 HeadsetPlugReceiver headset event
disconnection BT=false am mode=0 no_keep_notif_on_dscn=false
==================
17:52:34.826 HeadsetPlugReceiver cmd_player_pause_playing

Many thanks in advance!

Same issues here.  BT is simply not connecting, its invisible to the app.  App is now useless.  Refund please?

All other apps on my Galaxy S8+ unrooted phone see BT, Phonograph music player works with BT flawlessly.  ONLY Poweramp is not finding the BT, and only in the last 2 weeks.  No idea what changed. My Pie update was 2 months ago, so is not as simple as that.  Latest Poweramp version of course - but Poweramp Build 826.  All apps and OS on my phone are updated at all times.  

@Vicariat Poweramp can't prevent BT from connecting, so to fix issue you should look somewhere else (I will reconnect unpairing/forgetting the BT device and pairing it again - usually helps). Poweramp don't find BT - there is nothing in it to search/scan for BT. Poweramp can show current BT information in Audio Info, but audio itself is routed to BT by Android.

maxmp. Bluetooth-звонки, смс, все работает, другие плееры воспроизводят музыку без ошибок. Как только включаешь Poweramp появляется ошибка, и начинается постоянное переподключение. Пробовал два других плеера и они работают без проблем.

3 hours ago, maxmp said:

@Vicariat Poweramp can't prevent BT from connecting, so to fix issue you should look somewhere else (I will reconnect unpairing/forgetting the BT device and pairing it again - usually helps). Poweramp don't find BT - there is nothing in it to search/scan for BT. Poweramp can show current BT information in Audio Info, but audio itself is routed to BT by Android.

Thanks for the feedback.  Nonetheless, its not been working exclusively for Poweramp, so clearly the BT IS connecting for other devices. 

Possible good news is that I removed my bluetooth devices from the phone entirely and re-paired them.  Working now!  Just enabling and reenabling, and restarting phone etc was not sufficient.  If this does not stick I will report back. 

Hmm, still sounds to me like Poweramp was exclusively not "seeing" BT.  I dont think I claimed that it was preventing BT from "connecting" to my phone.  

Нужно в меню разработчика на телефоне включить AVRCP 1.3 и все работает. Мне помогло

Google Translation: It is necessary in the developer menu on the phone to enable AVRCP 1.3 and everything works. Helped me

• 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately, the issue still persists with the newest build v836. If I delete Poweramp's config files with the settings app and restart it, it works for the current connection, but after I try to connect again later, it won't.

Please note, if VLC for Android is used for example (and Poweramp removed from my BQ Aquaris X2), the connection works perfectly.

On 6/28/2019 at 2:19 AM, dcoffm5261 said:

Going to build 815 seems to solve the issue for me, while 835 does not.

In fact, build 815 solved the issue for me too. Maybe it has sth to do with the newly introduced DVC options to handle absolute volumes?

On 6/5/2019 at 9:50 AM, Artur_ said:

Google Translation: It is necessary in the developer menu on the phone to enable AVRCP 1.3 and everything works. Helped me

Setting this to 1.3 instead of 1.4 worked for me on my ford fiesta. Wait and see what else that knocks out!

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/2/2019 at 3:40 AM, maxmp said:

Except that I tried

• forgetting (unpairing) - pairing again,
  • downgrading AVRCP to 1.3 (allegedly it helped some people, but not me),
  • restarting both the phone and the car,

and nothing worked.
Not only that I had an unstable Bluetooth connection in the car when using Poweramp to play music (if I used Google music everything was fine, provided I hadn't started Poweramp before it), but I also couldn't make or receive calls via Bluetooth, or update the contacts list or speed dials.
Today I decided to try the drastic step and I uninstalled Poweramp. Boom! Everything is working now - I updated my contacts list, I can make calls and I can play music (sadly on Google music app which is far inferior), I didn't even restart my phone.
So I am very much inclined to say that Poweramp is the problem. It could be that my car doesn't play well with Poweramp, but since the same kind of problem was reported for a bunch of different cars, Poweramp remains as the only common factor.
I love the app, I've been using the Pro version for years now. I hope it gets fixed soon.

Moto g6+
Android 9 (1 May 2019 patch)
Toyota Prius V

@Puppy of Doom Poweramp Settings / Audio / Direct Volume Control (DVC) / No DVC for Bluetooth Absolute Volume - Uncheck. That's the only "advanced" feature talking to Android BT component/app that requires strict standard compliance. Other than that nothing can interfere with BT in Poweramp. Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Same here, right after installing Poweramp my phone kept connecting and disconnecting with my car, therefore my phone was unusable with my 2019 Ford fiesta.  After uninstalling it was able to use my phone with my car again.

The workaround of enabling AVRCP 1.3 thankfully solved the issue on my oneplus3t, while changing the " No DVC for Bluetooth Absolute Volume" did not held any result.

I agree with Puppy of Doom, i really think that this is a Poweramp issue 

• 2 weeks later...

I confirm the issue with Poweramp on a 2018 Ford Fiesta and a 2019 Skoda Kodiaq.

Disabling Poweramp makes the BT connection work normally.

With Poweramp enabled the connection becomes unusable showing "bluetooth keeps stopping" repetitive error messages, as soon as Poweramp gets or takes music focus.

Only solution I know for the time being is to uninstall Poweramp, unluckily!

Poweramp and Android 9 latest versions on my phone.

When Poweramp Settings / Audio / Direct Volume Control (DVC) / No DVC for Bluetooth Absolute Volume option is disabled, Poweramp doesn't touch bluetooth at all. Please note that is not related to your end device (car headunit), but to your phone/Android version you have, so no extra recommendations can be given without that info.

There are similar "No DVC" options per Audio Output - those are not related to bluetooth.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/14/2019 at 1:18 AM, maxmp said:

When Poweramp Settings / Audio / Direct Volume Control (DVC) / No DVC for Bluetooth Absolute Volume option is disabled, Poweramp doesn't touch bluetooth at all. Please note that is not related to your end device (car headunit), but to your phone/Android version you have, so no extra recommendations can be given without that info.

There are similar "No DVC" options per Audio Output - those are not related to bluetooth.

To sum up, what is your last suggestion? There is no problem with the v2 version and also no problem with the v3 build 815 or 816. But when I upgraded to the last version it keeps connecting/disconnecting. Changing settings in application or in phone's developer options does not help. We cannot use the final version of the application. Need help.