Bass Distortion

Lucas B.

Since the beta update of Android Pie until the official launch in s8, Poweramp has a problem that really disturbs me. 
is the fact that bass completely distorts the other frequencies and overlaps all of them. 
Before on Android Oreo none of that happened, it was perfect, but after I updated it I was very surprised. 
I did everything, I reset, uninstalled and installed, tried different settings in the equalizer, changed version but did nothing. 
I am not enjoying the app like before and did not want to go back to Android 8. 
What solution would you have? PS: even the volume is much lower than the previous version of the system!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry but please be a bit more specific (your output device, your Poweramp output settings, DVC mode, Absolute Volume, etc), as I have all recent Galaxy line in the test lab and I generally can’t reproduce issue like this.

Yes, pie limited previously available hi-res modes/sampling freqs, and some outputs may be lacking DVC, but default settings (Reset to defaults) and Flat preset/no Bass tone will bring this to the baseline.

10 hours ago, maxmp said:

default settings (Reset to defaults) and Flat preset/no Bass tone will bring this to the baseline. 

If you want or need to increase specifically some frequencies, eg bass, you could reduce the preamp, that would give more headroom.

472019798.jpg

21 hours ago, maxmp said:

Sorry but please be a bit more specific (your output device, your Poweramp output settings, DVC mode, Absolute Volume, etc), as I have all recent Galaxy line in the test lab and I generally can’t reproduce issue like this.

Yes, pie limited previously available hi-res modes/sampling freqs, and some outputs may be lacking DVC, but default settings (Reset to defaults) and Flat preset/no Bass tone will bring this to the baseline.

In case it does not matter what configuration I use, if it is with DVC, if it is not with DVC, absolute volume or not, 
HiRes output or standard output the bass always overlaps the other frequencies, this is clearly a problem after the Pie 
has arrived since in Oreo it was all more balanced. I'm using the same settings I had in Oreo and this always happens. 
another thing is that I am having to use up an amplifier app, which in Oreo I could not even increase the volume and 
without amplifier in the PIE I have to increase almost the whole volume

13 hours ago, blaubär said:

If you want or need to increase specifically some frequencies, eg bass, you could reduce the preamp, that would give more headroom.

472019798.jpg

the point is that in Oreo I did not need to do something like that. 
I used a limiter in the Oreo and the preamp was always at maximum and the sound was always great

I'm an electronic music listener, ex: Deadmau5, Skrillex etc ...
I do not use presets, I always change the frequencies one by one giving a little more emphasis in the bass, 
but it does not mean that I just want it, far from it, hahaha

19 minutes ago, Lucas B. said:

I do not use presets, I always change the frequencies one by one giving a little more emphasis in the bass

What happens if you turn off the EQ settings completely?

By the way, full boost on the pre-amp gain control is never a good idea - just because a control "goes up to 11" does not mean that you should push it up to the top and leave it there. If anything, pre-amp should be set lower than the mid-level, not higher)

Andre

6 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

What happens if you turn off the EQ settings completely?

By the way, full boost on the pre-amp gain control is never a good idea - just because a control "goes up to 11" does not mean that you should push it up to the top and leave it there. If anything, pre-amp should be set lower than the mid-level, not higher)

Andre

with the EQ off that does not happen, but the idea is to use it, right? 
It's true that the preamp from the middle to the bottom solves a bit this, but in Oreo and I always wore it on the stalk. 
And about the lowest volume on PIE, do you have something to say about?

Without DVC, you can get either same volume as any other player, but obviously without high bass amplification, or bass + lower volume.

What about your (output) device - bt, speaker, 3.5 headset, anything else?

10 minutes ago, maxmp said:

Without DVC, you can get either same volume as any other player, but obviously without high bass amplification, or bass + lower volume.

What about your (output) device - bt, speaker, 3.5 headset, anything else?

3.5mm AKG Galaxy S8

10 minutes ago, blaubär said:

What's that supposed to mean ?

I'll try to explain as clearly as possible. as I hear a lot of electronic music, the bass and subwoofer has much more 
evidence on the mid and treble. when they hit, the voices of the singers, treble, everything gets lower at that moment. 
plus the overall volume of the app that got lower as well. Did you understand?

4 minutes ago, Lucas B. said:

I'll try to explain as clearly as possible. as I hear a lot of electronic music, the bass and subwoofer has much more 
evidence on the mid and treble. when they hit, the voices of the singers, treble, everything gets lower at that moment. 
plus the overall volume of the app that got lower as well. Did you understand?

Sounds like something in the chain is triggering an overall gain limit (e.g. reduced volume) whenever the bass has been pushed so high so that it would start to over-saturate - particularly if the bass was already near to 100% digital level in the source material anyway.

Either keep the EQ levels relativity flat, or if you really must push the bass up to levels beyond which the system seems able to cope, make sure you reduce the master pre-amp gain by at least the same amount that you have boosted the bass sliders. See if that helps.

Andre

4 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Either keep the EQ levels relativity flat, or if you really must push the bass up to levels beyond which the system seems able to cope, make sure you reduce the master pre-amp gain by at least the same amount that you have boosted the bass sliders.

+1

Perhaps the limiter ( is it enabled ? ) does something after all 🙂 .

6 minutes ago, blaubär said:

Ok. And could you give it a try ? To find out whether it's really the limiter that does this ?

uh, it looks like you're right. the bass with the limiter turned off does not actually overlap the other frequencies,
but if I overdo it, the sound actually explodes (normal)! but there is a problem: in Oreo I always left the preamp
higher and with the limiter activated and what makes me more angry is this lower volume !!!

1 hour ago, Lucas B. said:

uh, it looks like you're right. the bass with the limiter turned off does not actually overlap the other frequencies,
but if I overdo it, the sound actually explodes (normal)! but there is a problem: in Oreo I always left the preamp
higher and with the limiter activated and what makes me more angry is this lower volume !!!

Okay, thank you !

So this "sound explosion" is a distortion that you can avoid it by reducing the preamp, but then the volume is lower.

Workaround : what output device do you use ? If you feed an external amplifier, turn that up. For headphones you could get yourself an external headphone amplifier.

@maxmp: sorry for doubting the limiter - at least in @Lucas B.'s setting it works !

19 minutes ago, blaubär said:

Okay, thank you !

So this "sound explosion" is a distortion that you can avoid it by reducing the preamp, but then the volume is lower.

Workaround : what output device do you use ? If you feed an external amplifier, turn that up. For headphones you could get yourself an external headphone amplifier.

@maxmp: sorry for doubting the limiter - at least in @Lucas B.'s setting it works !

external amplifier? my setting is a AKG 3.5mm earbuds. 

2 hours ago, Lucas B. said:

but there is a problem: in Oreo I always left the preamp

We have told you what the problem is, and how to fix it. However you are right that the overall volume will be lower.

Andre

Archived