Folders - List by Date Added

w3wilkes

V824 - Android Pie - Moto x4

@maxmp In the Library -> Folders view I have specified "By date added" - Reverse check box. The list is in folder name colating sequence rather than date the folder was added sequence. The reverse checkbox does work to reverse the sequence by folder name, but I've specified for folders to be listed by Date added which doesn't work.

🐰 Happy Easter

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your report, again. Please keep an eye on the release notes for future versions in case this is resolved, or possibly the option is removed from that List Options screen as it does not really apply to folders but to files. I'll close this thread now as the point has been made.

Andre

@w3wilkes Sorting indeed works 100%. It may be that folders all got same modification time or (happens for some sd card/usb storages/devices), modification time == 0. Poweramp uses filesystem provided modification time by default, this is controlled by Settings / Library / Lists / Sort By Filesystem Date/Time option.

(V2 used "first seen by Poweramp time" by default, as back in Android 2-3-4 days, most devices didn't implement filesystem modification time on sd card. This is still the case for some firmwares/devices/cards combinations).

Try to modify this option and check if it helps.

2 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Date Added does appear to be shown alphabetical by title.

That means they all have same last modified (or first time seen by Poweramp) timestamp.
Sorting is by date + title. If date is the same, title sorting effectively applied.

So, when you're doing some scan, all the folders in that scan session get same timestamp (and visually sorted by title).

Provided you just installed/reinstalled PA, all folders will have same timestamp.
But if you create few new folders, they will get newer timestamp and will be sorted accordingly - on the bottom of folders, sorted by Date added. Or on top, if Reverse is checked.

I think it's possible to use e.g. last modified time from filesystem here too, though. 

39 minutes ago, maxmp said:

I think it's possible to use e.g. last modified time from filesystem here too, though. 

I thought from what you said above, that that was the way it should already be working? I always assumed time/date stamps for Folders were derived from one if the individual contained files though (like artwork) rather than directly fetching Android properties for each folder.

However if not, then that would definitely be where the OP's problem lies. I always use file-system time/dates for sorting, as the internal database date-added info can get messed up by a re-install, new device, replacement SD Card, etc. I've never actually tried to sort folders by date before though, so if PA is basing the sort order on database-added then my current system (new phone yesterday) would all show identical dates. I'll add a new test folder now to check this.

Andre

Just now, maxmp said:

@andrewilley that (file based time) was for files only. Now 829+ does this for folders too.

Excellent, I think that will solve the OP's problem. I did check, and a newly-added folder correctly appeared separately from the bulk of my other folders (which were all scanned at once, during first setup). Will the new folder time be picked up from Android filesystem Folder Properties now, or be derived from the most recent last-modified stamp of the existing contained files?

Andre

• 3 weeks later...

Archived