V3 Random Settings

vegasdood

I am sure there was big reasons for V3....but, it has been so frustrating trying to figure out the new nuances. 

Could someone tell me to create a random play within a genre or playlist please?

I click a Genre, try and hit random and then it reverts to random my entire library.

2 hours ago, vegasdood said:

I am sure there was big reasons for V3....but, it has been so frustrating trying to figure out the new nuances. 

Could someone tell me to create a random play within a genre or playlist please?

I click a Genre, try and hit random and then it reverts to random my entire library.

There have been intense discussions about what shuffling does or should do.

For Artists it works now, see

The best way to use Shuffle is to first start a song playing in the category you want (for example tapping on a song within the Genre view) and then tap the Shuffle icon in the player screen (lower-right under the cover art) to choose the exact mode you want. This generally gives you more control over the outcome rather than just using the default mode from the library view,

Andre

• 2 months later...

Adding: This is my usual method of playing. Thinking I'm going to have to choose a different player if this issue isn't corrected.

Frankly, everything about this new version seems to have been made more difficult. KISS.

It's not hard. Go into the Artist library view and find the artist to want to listen to. You can then listen to all of their songs in one of two ways:

• To listen to all of their albums - either in order or shuffled - tap on either the 'Play' or 'Shuffle' icon at the top of the album-list screen.
  • To listen to all of their songs, first tap on 'All Artist Songs' to see the full songs list by that artist, and then tap 'Play' or 'Shuffle' at the top of the screen to play all of the songs either in order or shuffled.

Hint: If you never want to use that first option and ALWAYS want the artist's whole song collection to be played without any album grouping, go into Settings > Library > Lists, and enable 'Shuffle Category Songs'. That will save you that extra step in future of going into the 'All Artist Songs' list. However personally I prefer to have the option to do it either way. 

Andre

On 6/26/2019 at 6:44 PM, andrewilley said:

It's not hard. Go into the Artist library view and find the artist to want to listen to. You can then listen to all of their songs in one of two ways:

• To listen to all of their albums - either in order or shuffled - tap on either the 'Play' or 'Shuffle' icon at the top of the album-list screen.
  • To listen to all of their songs, first tap on 'All Artist Songs' to see the full songs list by that artist, and then tap 'Play' or 'Shuffle' at the top of the screen to play all of the songs either in order or shuffled.

Hint: If you never want to use that first option and ALWAYS want the artist's whole song collection to be played without any album grouping, go into Settings > Library > Lists, and enable 'Shuffle Category Songs'. That will save you that extra step in future of going into the 'All Artist Songs' list. However personally I prefer to have the option to do it either way. 

Andre

Sorry, but that just doesn't work. I hit shuffle and a song from the category starts playing and a flyover pops up and says "shuffle all songs and categories". And then it plays songs from all categories, exactly what I don't want it to do.

Neither does it work if you choose play first then hit shuffle. If I long press on shuffle, choosing "shuffle all" or "shuffle songs" again plays everything.

And why the extra step of hitting "all <category> songs"? I've already done that when I chose the category. It's a stupid, redundant step to take.

Now, either my installation is bad which I doubt because others are complaining about the same thing, or this version of the player has a serious problem.

Reading the link to the other discussion above it seems this issue has been fixed. I uninstalled my present player and installed the latest version and it does seem to be fixed. Thanks so much for this and sorry to have bothered you about this.

LOL, I just spent the last ten minutes testing and could only get it to work the way I described to you above. I was just about to post asking you for more info on your system including your PA version, but looks like you've solved it anyway.

What PA version were you on by the way, as some changes were made to the shuffle code around six months ago (around build 820, whenever the Settings > Library > Lists > Shuffle Category Songs option was added anyway) but I can't see why you would have been on a very old release prior to those changes.

Andre

On 6/28/2019 at 4:23 AM, andrewilley said:

LOL, I just spent the last ten minutes testing and could only get it to work the way I described to you above. I was just about to post asking you for more info on your system including your PA version, but looks like you've solved it anyway.

What PA version were you on by the way, as some changes were made to the shuffle code around six months ago (around build 820, whenever the Settings > Library > Lists > Shuffle Category Songs option was added anyway) but I can't see why you would have been on a very old release prior to those changes.

Andre

Sorry, still doesn't work when trying to shuffle a genre. V3-830 on a stock LG Escape 3 running Android 6.0.

Still getting the "shuffle songs and categories" flyover when I hit the shuffle button. 

From that other thread, it sounded like the issue was fixed. What was said was that the issue was fixed for artists. I figured the issue would be fixed for genres too. Apparently not.

1 hour ago, ZiprHead said:

Sorry, still doesn't work when trying to shuffle a genre.

Right, in the beginning of V3 you couldn't shuffle categories and stay inside the parent-category, e.g. shuffle the albums of an artist. This has been fixed, but only for artist. You cannot shuffle the albums of a genre - you can select a genre, play the albums there, and when you shuffle categories, it will interpret that as a shuffling of ALL albums. Because album is the category.

Even in Genre, you still have the ability to tap 'All Genre Songs' and then tap on the Shuffle icon at the top of that long list of songs to hear all of those songs randomly shuffled. This is what you were asking for, as far as I can ascertain?

The Shuffle icon at the top of the Genre albums list should behave in the same way as it does in Artists - i.e. it will shuffle the first album's songs, then more on to the next album in the same genre and play that shuffled, and so on.

I don't know if all categories were updated in the build 820 changes, but most of the major ones seem to have been. It might be worth keep updated to the latest build by the way (currently 836) as tweaks and adjustments occur with each new release.

Andre

Archived