Galaxy S9+ sound quality

hypomaniac-eric

I just got a new GS9+ the other day going from a GS7 and I have noticed my bluetooth headphones now sounds muffled at 4kHz and above and the treble knob is next to useless.   I'm using the same preset i used for my headphones on the GS7 but to make it sound better I have to turn all the 4kHz and higher sliders up all the way.   Is the sound quality that bad?  I was afraid of the last Saturday night concert i went to killed my hearing but listening to  my other bluetooth headphones on my computer they still sounded fine.   So I guess it's not my ears.  

Is the sound quality worse on the GS9+?

28 minutes ago, hypomaniac-eric said:

I just got a new GS9+ the other day going from a GS7 and I have noticed my bluetooth headphones now sounds muffled at 4kHz and above and the treble knob is next to useless.   I'm using the same preset i used for my headphones on the GS7 but to make it sound better I have to turn all the 4kHz and higher sliders up all the way.   Is the sound quality that bad?  I was afraid of the last Saturday night concert i went to killed my hearing but listening to  my other bluetooth headphones on my computer they still sounded fine.   So I guess it's not my ears.  

Is the sound quality worse on the GS9+?

There are known issues with Android Pie on Samsung. You've got Pie ? Maxmp suggests hitting the Reset to Defaults buttons in audio output and thereby setting it to the ( high res ) configuration that works best.

46 minutes ago, blaubär said:

There are known issues with Android Pie on Samsung. You've got Pie ? Maxmp suggests hitting the Reset to Defaults buttons in audio output and thereby setting it to the ( high res ) configuration that works best.

Yes it updated to Pie after I got it.  I was surprised Pie was out for it already.   I thought I would have to wait another year the way the carriers take so long.   

Isn't the high res for the high res files though?  I'm using mp3's.    So this problem is well known?

update:  I check the settings and high res was selected for wired and bluetooth so I switched them over to the regular output and so far it sounds fine.   I don't think I need the high res settings since I'm only using mp3's right?

1 hour ago, hypomaniac-eric said:

update:  I check the settings and high res was selected for wired and bluetooth so I switched them over to the regular output and so far it sounds fine.   I don't think I need the high res settings since I'm only using mp3's right?

Correct, you don't need high-res for mp3. At least IMHO.

Personally I use high-res for mp3, but only because on my S7 with Oreo it's possible to set the sampling rate to 44.1Khz, which is the sampling rate of my mp3-files, and so I don't need to resample.  

You could try high-res with the defaults settings enabled, Maxmp seemed to suggest that that would give the best possible sound quality.

16 hours ago, blaubär said:

Correct, you don't need high-res for mp3. At least IMHO.

Personally I use high-res for mp3, but only because on my S7 with Oreo it's possible to set the sampling rate to 44.1Khz, which is the sampling rate of my mp3-files, and so I don't need to resample.  

You could try high-res with the defaults settings enabled, Maxmp seemed to suggest that that would give the best possible sound quality.

Thanks for the info and help.   

Archived