v3 build 823 - High Battery Consumption

tdas777
Message added by maxmp

Before posting here, please try the following:

Update to build 853+
It has a fix for the playlist related drain.

Settings / Look and Feel / Player UI / Chromecast Button - Disable (Poweramp will restart)
This helps with some un-updated/failing Play services libraries being loaded into Poweramp and increasing battery usage.

Settings / Library / Scanner / Auto-scan - Disable
This helps with some apps constantly/frequently sending file system change event causing Poweramp to rescan frequently and increasing battery usage.

7 hours ago, FinisRonin said:

Ok, I have found the solution for me. Block internet Access for Poweramp. Solved it for me, any ideas why?

This is due to google services not being able to connect. When, why - we don’t know as these are closed source libraries. And those are not bundled with the app, but dynamically loaded from Google Play Services apk.

I think I can make another test only build, without Google services (and obviously, Chromecast), just to verify the issue.

Thanks!

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, Mark BT52 said:

Annoyingly my previous workaround of only using it via the widget seems to not work now either, so my only solution is to use a different player 😞

Closing Poweramp completely and restarting doesn't help ?

There's the idea mentioned above to use the Netguard app to disable Poweramp's network access - perhaps you could try that ?

When high battery use kicks in, the problem is tied to PA and rebooting it doesn't change anything. I'm still suspicious of how much Google Play activity I've seen.

For a number of reasons, including problems associated with PA, I completely reloaded (down to re-flashing the stock ROM) and re-rootred my phone (Samsung S7). For the record, without being able to use Titanium backup/restore app the job would have taken too many hours. Rooted, and now being able to use Titanium, the job took a couple of hours. Which is why I require rooting for any phone I own. 

I haven't had time to use it as a player, but I've been working through the curious images choices, and PA hasn't appeared to cause problems. There's a lot of screen use, of course, which also take a bite out of the battery. However, once I leave PA alone, the phone cools down, and battery use doesn't plummet. I still have more testing to do before reporting whatever I find, though. 

I ended up with quite a few meetings today, so didn't actually get to listen to a whole lot of music. However, I did manage to perform my normal usage pattern that would show the battery drain. Start/stopping by a variety of inline cord, pulling out jack, etc. Today I didn't see the battery drain at all.

Poweramp is very far down the list here and looking good, but I'll continue to watch what happens with this build

1082746538_Screenshot_20190703-183103_Devicecare.thumb.jpg.25edc9916abec61b8b6d434d85f5291f.jpgScreenshot_20190703-183117_Settings.thumb.jpg.94a74fb790d88ef942e43047bc04b296.jpgScreenshot_20190703-183136_Settings.thumb.jpg.ba8a87abc54dbc40537b94d148950228.jpg

Tested the no-google-services version today as well, but still had the high cpu usage happen again. It was 8-15% instead of 15-30% tho, but that might have been a fluke. Also tried disabling album download and block internet access, but I haven't had a lot of time to test that setting yet. I also made a thread dump, but I don't see anything obvious.

Just went through this whole topic, since I also have this battery drain and heating issue on PA 836.

I mostly use PA while out riding the motorcycle, so my Galaxy S7 (android 8.0.0) is connected to my Sena 3S headset, while the phone is mounted on the bike with the screen turned off.

I have a 2 hour drive going home on Friday and back on Sunday, so that is when I use the app for a longer period.

Last Friday going home, the phone was at about 90 percent charge when I left and after two hours listening to music and using Flitsmeister navigation (screen off, only notifications through headset), it was at 65%. What seems to be oke.

And leaving home yesterday, the phone was fully charged, using Flitsmeister and Poweramp again, it died after less than 2 hours.

The difference was Friday I had a playlist that only had 16bit 44.1KHz Flac files, yesterday it was all 24bit 96KHz.

I'm going to install the build without google services and try again this week.

Does build 838 have Google services?

53 minutes ago, kevinj said:

The difference was Friday I had a playlist that only had 16bit 44.1KHz Flac files, yesterday it was all 24bit 96KHz.

I doubt that it would make much difference, but if a sampling rate is relevant at all then that would be the sampling rate for the output.

1 hour ago, kevinj said:

I do think it might have something to do with that, because it was the only difference between the two rides, except me going in the opposite direction.

Okay, we'll see what happens at your next drive.

Have you tried it with high resolution audio? I've been testing it for a few hours now, and I get about 15% drain per hour.

But that's at home without navigation and using a B&W P5 Wireless.

The settings are switched on but only 48kHz output for my wired ear buds. I think this is default as I don't remember touching the settings here. My mp3 library (8373 items) is all ripped from my CDs or DRM free downloads from amazon/play/microsoft. I use MediaMonkey to transcode to 192KBit variable mp3 whilst synching to my micro sd card (92GB of music when transcoded).

I have been one of the people consistently getting the drain issue though. I still haven't seen it on the version without google services.

Well, I've seen the high usage drain twice since I installed the version without Google Services. 2nd time happened this morning when I had the app only active for 20 minutes, playing through my phones speaker and then the aux line. I use MP3 and Apple Lossless files, but these were mostly just mp3s playing. 

I use the Hi-Res Output. 

On 7/2/2019 at 12:41 PM, maxmp said:

Here is test Poweramp build without Google Services. Let me know if it helps the affected device - as some users seem to reproduce it constantly -  or doesn't.

Poweramp-v3-build-837-uni-no-google-services.apk

Sigh... I keep getting apk corrupt. Using Chrome and FF on the phone fails. Ditto for Win10 on my laptop. I went through this for 820. Using d/l to Win10 bypassed whatever was breaking the file on my phone, but not this time... Suggestions?

On 7/2/2019 at 9:41 AM, maxmp said:

Here is test Poweramp build without Google Services. Let me know if it helps the affected device - as some users seem to reproduce it constantly -  or doesn't.

Poweramp-v3-build-837-uni-no-google-services.apk

I still have the battery drain after installing this APK. I guess that rules out Google services being the culprit.

Screenshot_20190711-174640.jpg

IMHO the problem is tied, inversely, to the number of sunspots. No sunspots, lots of consumption. If that's not it, let's resort to astrology and the sign your phone was "born" under. Or maybe bad feng shui?

These seem to be as good explanations as any. 

Archived