v3 build 823 - High Battery Consumption

tdas777
Message added by maxmp

Before posting here, please try the following:

Update to build 853+
It has a fix for the playlist related drain.

Settings / Look and Feel / Player UI / Chromecast Button - Disable (Poweramp will restart)
This helps with some un-updated/failing Play services libraries being loaded into Poweramp and increasing battery usage.

Settings / Library / Scanner / Auto-scan - Disable
This helps with some apps constantly/frequently sending file system change event causing Poweramp to rescan frequently and increasing battery usage.

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm baffled about the problem not being reproducible from the production (v. consumer) side when many consumers, including me, experience the problem. This isn't a criticism, just a "I don't get it". Could it be the production side doesn't have items that are common to consumers? Too bad I don't have a spare phone to a) confirm for myself the problem exists, and b) lone it for examination. Oh well too bad I don't have free beer, either. 

2 hours ago, RBEmerson said:

I'm baffled about the problem not being reproducible from the production (v. consumer) side when many consumers, including me, experience the problem. This isn't a criticism, just a "I don't get it". Could it be the production side doesn't have items that are common to consumers? Too bad I don't have a spare phone to a) confirm for myself the problem exists, and b) lone it for examination. Oh well too bad I don't have free beer, either. 

That's because it is a rare occurence and we don't know the reason. If that happens per chance in one of tenthousand devices then the testing team would on average have to aquire and use tenthousand devices to reproduce it.

6 hours ago, RBEmerson said:

I'm baffled about the problem not being reproducible from the production (v. consumer) side when many consumers, including me, experience the problem. This isn't a criticism, just a "I don't get it". 

Yes this has been reported by a number of people, but still a tiny, tiny fraction of the millions of people who use the app. As Max has said, he cannot reproduce it on any of the dozens (hundreds?) of different devices that has available for testing purposes. The problem is not necessarily in Poweramp though (otherwise it would be happening to everyone, and would be reproducible on test devices), it could be some unusual interaction occurring with another app or something in Google services. All of Max's test devices are going to be pretty-much factory-default with just Poweramp installed, so those sort of interactions can't be easily tested.

Certainly it does not happen on my own daily-use device (currently a Samsung Galaxy A70 running on Pie). The only easy solution to this would be if Max could get his hands on a device that is currently exhibiting this issue.

Andre

@andrewilley

@blaubär

I didn't realize that the number of folks with problems are enough/so few as to be effectively lost in the noise. Darn... the problem is very real. Being rooted, it's easy enough to freeze (make disappear) almost anything, including excess Google stuff. If only I knew what to nuc...

@FinisRonin

IMHO VLC is about the last app I'd consider. Even in the PC world it's too fragile, cranky, and unwilling to do stuff to make it very useful. I recommend looking for a better Plan B. 

On 6/23/2019 at 5:15 PM, blaubär said:

I habe a somewhat similar issue with another app ( NYT ). I cannot be sure, but I think for me ( S7 Oreo ) with this app the problem only arises at the first use after boot. That means if I competely close the app after having started it after a boot, further use won't be problematic.

This did not help ... At first ... But when I:

Killed Poweramp -> enabled flight mode -> reenabled Bluetooth -> the Battery consumption dropped significantly.

Screenshot_20190625-065848.png

Re VLC: Whatever gets the job done, there you are. For me, I see complaints about file formats, not working well with video, choking on playing back 4K video on a local HDD, the list goes painfully on and on. 

(Your reply to Blaubär came in while I was busy dissing VLC.)

Just so I have things right, you used flight mode and then enabled BT. What about WiFi? If you left WiFi off, are you saying that, in effect, an interaction between PA and WiFi causes excessive drain? Also, which version of PA are you using?

21 minutes ago, RBEmerson said:

... so I have things right, you used flight mode and then enabled BT. What about WiFi? If you left WiFi off, are you saying that, in effect, an interaction between PA and WiFi causes excessive drain? Also, which version of PA are you using?

Build 833

State was:

Airplane on, WiFi off, Bluetooth on

Hmmm... Maybe using airplane mode points to a possible source for the problem. With phone and wifi connections disabled, and no more than BT between buds/speakers and the phone, the phone is disconnected from the rest of the world. Which suggests some sort of continuous activity between PA and somewhere outside of the phone. "All" that's left is to figure out what that activity is, and how to stop it, or at least throttle it. Since we power over-consumption sufferers are in a very small set of all users, it's pretty much to guessing at a cause. 

The notion of effectively disconnecting the phone to use PA has, I think, problems. For example, I use PA to keep me amused while running around on my tractor to cut grass (close to 3 hours if all goes well). If I can't take calls while I'm out... Not Good. 

In any case, I think going back to .820 didn't really do much good. On to .833...

Another data point, looking some info about Google play.

For some reason, Firefox started to cycle through "just crashed - OK this report?" crashes, one immediately after the previous one. After serious round of Oh S***! I found a way to Titanium to freeze (almost an uninstall) Firefox. End of problem. But the phone's still hot. What's going on here??? GSam battery monitor said Google Play was taking about 12% of consumption, with Google Play Services pulling down about 8%, or 20% altogether. It seems that somehow PA may be tickling Google Play into acting up. I'd temporarily freeze Play and Play Svc but suspect that might break something that really matters. 

Has anyone else seen this or have a sense of how much I can do to Play?

I went through several cycles of power down and up -  it didn't make any difference. Additionally, Play finally calmed down. Something is hammering power put even the obvious villain (Play whatever) seems to have either calmed down or is waiting for another round of power grabbing. Somewhere there has to be a tool to point at what's going on outside of PA that sucks down power. Sigh...

41 minutes ago, FinisRonin said:

Just a question to the others here that have the same Problem do you guys have huge Media Libraries?

I have about 60 gb of mp3s on my phone, could it be the media scanner that is running wild?

115 GB on SD-Card, 1185 folders with 12381 songs

527201991934.jpg

527201992229.jpg

Have had this problem numerous times since I last posted, mostly at work when I would listen for longer period of times.

It's always using up 10-30% of my CPU constantly and continues to do so even if I unplug my headphones. I checked Logcat when this happens, but Poweramp itself doesn't log anything during high CPU usages. If there's anything I should look for, please tell me. I can offer a rooted phone, maybe that can help as well in debugging this problem.

Regarding the huge library, I only have 1446 tracks scanned by Poweramp.

Greetings.

@dunkel Poweramp has only background playing and semi-background new track scanning (allowed when Poweramp UI is on screen or within 1min after that). Everything else is not Poweramp (for example, that’s loaded in process GMS code).

I would recommend updating to latest 836 and updating google apps (i.e. Home) on the device.

I use Simple System Monitor to check CPU usage and it shows the usage for the Poweramp process. Any other way I can see what is actually using the CPU? As soon as I kill Poweramp and restart it, it's fine for some time again.

I updated Poweramp, probably won't run into the issue on the weekend tho, as I'm mostly using Poweramp at workdays.

1 hour ago, FinisRonin said:

Ok, I have found the solution for me. Block internet Access for Poweramp. Solved it for me, any ideas why?

How did you block this ?

61201995328.jpg

And now you probably cannot get album art from the internet?

On 6/24/2019 at 4:36 AM, blaubär said:

That's because it is a rare occurence and we don't know the reason. If that happens per chance in one of tenthousand devices then the testing team would on average have to aquire and use tenthousand devices to reproduce it.

One the other hand I can reproduce it at will on 2 out of 2 devices...  (LG V30 and Galaxy S8 Plus)

Annoyingly my previous workaround of only using it via the widget seems to not work now either, so my only solution is to use a different player 😞

(by the way, this issue does not occur for me with other players, only with PA)

Archived