v3 build 823 - High Battery Consumption

tdas777
Message added by maxmp

Before posting here, please try the following:

Update to build 853+
It has a fix for the playlist related drain.

Settings / Look and Feel / Player UI / Chromecast Button - Disable (Poweramp will restart)
This helps with some un-updated/failing Play services libraries being loaded into Poweramp and increasing battery usage.

Settings / Library / Scanner / Auto-scan - Disable
This helps with some apps constantly/frequently sending file system change event causing Poweramp to rescan frequently and increasing battery usage.

As a comparison, I used TI to "freeze" PA, rebooted to be sure PA was effectively uninstalled, and have been running PlayerPro for about four hours so far. GSam projects another four hours before the battery is fully discharged. By now, under PA, the battery would be dead. 

Granted this is, in some regards, comparing apples and oranges, but it does point to PA causing battery problems. 

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like some others did on here, I just reverted back to v820 and the problem seems to have gone away (for now). There were a few random times recently where the battery consumption reached almost 20% per hour, which was more than a bit much for me. 

I hope it does get fixed soon. And obviously, I'd like to have the most updated version. But until that happens, I'll either have to stick to v820 or consider other options in the meantime.

OK, probably OT but...

I downloaded 820, expecting an apk but... it sure ain't that. FX will look into the file as an archive, and the contents look about what I'd expect. In other words, looks good to me. My apk installer says this isn't an apk. How do I install 820 over the current PA?

Sort of nevermind about the above. I went after 820 from my PC and I got an .apk. Which is fine. But why didn't it download as an apk on my phone? Weird...

The S7's version of the file name has what seems to be all sorts of check sums or security strings in the name, and "_apk_" is embedded in all of that.

3 hours ago, RBEmerson said:

The S7's version of the file name has what seems to be all sorts of check sums or security strings in the name, and "_apk_" is embedded in all of that.

Strange! But if you need to re-download it, just get one of the old APKs directly from https://forum.powerampapp.com/files/category/2-poweramp-v3-latest-releases/

Andre

54 minutes ago, RBEmerson said:

Here's how FX reports the d/l:

Poweramp-v3-build-820-uni_apk.bc54bb0ef3456ef0a98d7ef17dbec1eb

That looks like maybe an incomplete download? I use Chrome, and it simply downloads the file and even allows you to install it straight from Chrome. Not sure what FX is, a file explorer I assume? 

Andre

I tried Chrome and still no joy. I used FX (File Explorer) to install the apk; I had to use root to get the apk installed. That's the good news. The bad news is 820 repeatedly stops. At the moment 83whatever is frozen with Titanium (AKA TI), which means Andy doesn't know it exists. Ditto the pro unlock. PA launches and then stops to the point of showing a message about "keeps stopping" or close that. Of course a crash log is created. I haven't sent it yet, pending whether something is really broken or my phone's to blame. 

Samsung S7, Andy 7.0, rooted but stock ROM. 

3 hours ago, RBEmerson said:

I tried Chrome and still no joy.

Poweramp-v3-build-820-uni_apk downloads fine for me on my Android device in Chrome. It's saved to the /Download/ folder, and Chrome offers to run it after the download is complete - or I can run it from a file explorer later. You will need to uninstall any more recent versions before installing 820 though (backup/export your Settings and any internal playlists first). 

Andre

Argh! I slid right past backing up playlists. OTOH, I did get some better album art. Win some, lose some. Anyway .820 is up and running.

One last round of questions and and I think this sub-thread reaches its (long sought for) end. At what point did the "pay to play" key app take over? Is it safe to use the current version of the key without running into compatibility issues tied to keeping .820 running? Or does .820 even a problem with continuing to run for an unlimited time?

7 hours ago, RBEmerson said:

At what point did the "pay to play" key app take over?

Do you mean the unlocker app in the Play Store? That's been the way to purchase Poweramp since the app was first released, so it goes back ages. That's the only way to unlock (purchase) the Play Store downloaded version (and still works if you over-install with manually downloaded APK files from here).

It's also possible to purchase an email-based unlocker from the website here for anyone who does not have access to the Play Store.

Andre

Understood. 

Fortunately, TI protected me from having to pay $3.99 a second time because I uninstalled the key. Yea for backups! 

At this point I'm ready to test .820's battery consumption. 

Great thanks for your help with returning me to .820. 

4 hours ago, RBEmerson said:

TI protected me from having to pay $3.99 a second time because I uninstalled the key.

As long as the device is running on the same Google account, you can re-install the unlocker from the Play Store whenever you want.

Andre

I think your TI and rooted phone have complicated the hell out of what is really a simple process. To roll back most of us just have to uninstall the current version from the play store, download older version from this site using chrome, install it and we're good to go. Remember that you then have to stop the play store from auto updating.it back to the latest version.

Right now I'm on the latest version though

Um... rooting plays very little role in this save TI's what saved me from spending another $4. Google effectively said "well, yes, it's in your library of installations but you have pay for it anyway." I certainly don't begrudge the donation, but I do expect Google to respond to the key being in my installations library. In any case, that's water over the bridge or under the dam. TI (which requires rooting) got past Google; TI still had a backup copy of the key. That's hardly TI and rooting causing problems. The .820 d/l problem remains a mystery. I'll play with that a bit further in case my d/l functions are somehow in trouble. 

Thanks for the suggestion about stopping auto-updates. I did that after seeing the update to .83whatever come in. Needless to say, I killed that update, and will manually update until the power consumption issue is resolved. 

Anyway, this sub-thread is OT. I'm grateful it wasn't drop-kicked off into the bit bucket. Others maybe not so much. 

For me, using .820 seems to have moved in the right direction for reducing power consumption.

I wonder how much consumption is "playing music" and how much is the process beyond reading the MP3, etc. and how much is feeding the BT or 'phones at the end of the process. In loose terms, how much power does playing consume, how much does audio processing (filters, etc.) consume, and how much does driving speakers, etc. consume. 

All of that is by way of wondering if .83n is is eating power in signal processing.

@FinisRonin what was your Poweramp build exactly and what was the usage scenario?

To date unfortunately it’s not possible to reproduce any issue with the Poweramp power usage. Recent Poweramp builds (starting from 821) have google services (for Chromecast) integrated. Google services are loaded inside Poweramp process and can behave differently depending on various conditions. They are updated weekly or so by Google, and it may be hard to reproduce the issue given user is experiencing - problem may come and go depending on services version/update.

I habe a somewhat similar issue with another app ( NYT ). I cannot be sure, but I think for me ( S7 Oreo ) with this app the problem only arises at the first use after boot. That means if I competely close the app after having started it after a boot, further use won't be problematic.

Archived